What old stuff do you have on your belt or in your trunk?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

AL7OC
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Thales, Tekk

What old stuff do you have on your belt or in your trunk?

Post by AL7OC »

The resurrected thread about new stuff made me think, how much old, bulletproof Motorola stuff is out there and still working?

My Low band Motrac is still working. Just use it on 6m FM. Vibrasender and vibrasponder reeds still work for PL. Hot receiver with 0.08 uv SINAD. Passive front end gives great IM rejection. Paid $20 at auction in 1980 for it, and replaced the PNP germanium first LO and first mixer with silicon devices. The two pairs of crystals from LNX cost $20. It came out of a transit bus. Had to clean the cigarette butts out of the heat sink. Re-tubes the exciter, and voilà!

Got newer stuff, but got to love the older radios. They have their own charm, no software hassles, and they even have that charming smell when the tubes heat up. That's when we made radios in the good old USA that were made to last!

New is good, but old can be impressive in it's own right too! Got any other antique Motorola stuff out there still heating up the ether?

-PL
Pierre

AL7OC
impalass427

Re: What old stuff do you have on your belt or in your trunk

Post by impalass427 »

I have a low band twin-V (t41ggv) still hooked up on my bench and a realistic TRC-X23 (courier 23) CB that I bought new in 1967 I fire up once a week. Love tubes. Don
kato56

Post by kato56 »

Ah yes the realistic TRC-X23 (courier 23) CB, fine tube radio. That was the rig that I was using as an exciter when the FCC made a visit to my home back in the early '70's and "informed" me that I was operating on an illegal frequency (22A) that blank spot on the dial between ch. 22 and 23. Of course I had other tube devices running (amp) that they were more interested in.

Among the Motracs, Motrans, etc... I also had a UHF T41GGV fully duplexed which was thing of beauty on the repeater.
vince7003

Post by vince7003 »

well i have 2 sp50 in uhf. and 2 in vhf. and a ge mpa uhf
KG7PBS
mike m

Post by mike m »

My favorite crystal radio is my GE PE low band handheld on 6 meters with the PSLM, Priority Search Lock Monitor, GE's version of priority scan.

I still use it to work DX on 52.525 and some of the California, AZ and oregon/wash repeaters every E season.

Also a pair of MT500's on 10 and 6 FM.

A pair of MT1000's on 6 meters and 10 meters.

And of course my hamflashed GE MPA's on 2meter, 220MHz, 440 and 900 MHz.
RADIOMAN2002
What radios do you own?: More than I can count

Post by RADIOMAN2002 »

I have but didn't install this go around in my new Charger a VHF Motran SP for FDNY monitoring (installed it attached to a NYPD SP Micor control head). I still also have a dual front end version for monitoring both input and output of the repeaters (or mixer off as it was called )
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

I have a customer still using Mostars for dispatching their tow trucks.
wb0qqk
Batboard $upporter

Post by wb0qqk »

As a conversation piece, I'll carry my H33FFN3170E (VHF HT220 PL 4-freq Omni) to "do-nets" once in awhile.
It brings back a lot of memories to most of us QCWA folks as does my collection of RPT Magazine and the
Spectronics catalogs.
Fator nusquam. Denego omnis. Requiro testimonium. Genero Reverto-Criminatio!"

(Admit nothing. Deny everything. Demand proof. Make Counter-Allegations!)
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

have an old mitrek oin 52.525 in the barn i may put it up as a remote base

the old trusty mt-1000
talviar

Post by talviar »

Use a Micor daily at work. . . . 330W on 33.70 MHz. . . . There is no band like low band & You have to be heard before you can establish communications!
wb0qqk
Batboard $upporter

Post by wb0qqk »

talviar wrote:Use a Micor daily at work. . . . 330W on 33.70 MHz. . . . There is no band like low band & You have to be heard before you can establish communications!
Roger that.
Back in the day when most of the State of Nebraska was on low band, we used to say
"One-hundred watts at one-hundred feet equals one-hundred miles."
Fator nusquam. Denego omnis. Requiro testimonium. Genero Reverto-Criminatio!"

(Admit nothing. Deny everything. Demand proof. Make Counter-Allegations!)
talviar

Post by talviar »

Of course my 330W is a base at the tower site vs on belt or in trunk. . . .
Sitting at 200' on the tower on top of the mountain here in Western PA. . . .
KGF301 Fayette County Fire Control. . . . .
Can definately tell when low band picks up . . . . First sign is the distant station in Upper New York state that we get at about 200+ miles away. . . .

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”