Quantar battery revert current draw?

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

chtucker

Quantar battery revert current draw?

Post by chtucker »

How much does a 100watt 800MHz quantar that is set up to reduce Tx output by 3db draw when running on 24VDC?

Is there any delay in the fold back? I am sizing the breakers for the DC backup.
Batboard $upporter

Re: Quantar battery revert current draw?

Post by 515 »

I'd imagine the 800 MHz units are similar, but here's what I've seen on a VHF station with the 125 watt PA:

When running from a 24 VDC source:
1.36 amps with TX off and RX squelched, 8.66 amps when transmitting 65 watts, and 10.9 amps when transmitting 100 watts

When running from the 120 VAC source:
0.46 amps with TX off and RX squelched, 1.60 amps when transmitting 25 watts, and 3.06 amps when transmitting 125 watts

I believe the 120 VAC power supplies are all rated at 8.0 amps, but I've never see them draw more than 4 amps from the AC line.

I would guess the 800 MHz station would draw about 8.5 amps from the 24 VDC supply when it's transmitting about 50 watts. I'd be sure to pad that number appropriately for the breaker...

I'm not aware of any delay for the the power to fold back when the station reverts to DC.
chtucker

Post by chtucker »

Thanks! I am concerned about putting in 10amp breakers...
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

chtucker wrote:Thanks! I am concerned about putting in 10amp breakers...
I would be too.

Based on the estimated 8.5 amps draw, I wouldn't go anything less than a 15-amp breaker.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”