Astro Survey... XTS or Astro Saber.

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Do you prefer the Astro Saber or the XTS?

Astro Saber
100%

Total votes: 24
Julian

Astro Survey... XTS or Astro Saber.

Post by Julian »

Hello all,
Well, i've checked with alot of people, to see which radios they personally prefer... the XTS or Astro Saber. The results have been mixed. Your either a jedi/XTS fan, or a Saber fan. What i'd like to know is what is YOUR personal preference, and your reasons supporting your decision. There are obviously pro's & con's to each, but everyone has their own preference. The military seems to prefer the Astro Saber, and it's similar (Saber SI + Analog Saber) brothers.
Just because I have a short attention span doesn't mean I...-

"Yesstirdaye I cuddn't spell teknishion, and now I is won!"

"800MHZ sucks range is a joke
UHF has range but VHF has more". - the greatest technician of all time, Astro_Saber.
Julian

Post by Julian »

Ohh yeah, and does anyone know if the "Public Safety Yellow" housing are available for the AS3, or am I going to be making a trip to the hardware store for some spray paint?
:wink:

UHF has range but VHF has more". - the greatest technician of all time, Astro_Saber.
Twisted_Pear
Batboard $upporter

Post by Twisted_Pear »

You'll be going to the hardware store for spray paint.

I chose the XTS for the display, it being a newer ASTRO model, not as bulky (i.e., tall), and I already had a bunch of Jedi accessories. Plus, I got a good deal so...

-Wayne
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

I too like the display of the XTS's, but in everyday radio use in public safety, you really don't use it. I like the tight construction of the AS and there are many accessories out for it as well. Support will be there for the radio for quite awhile. For people who don't like the size of the radio, there are different height batteries. I personally have the hi-cap battery and it is a bit large with the wideband VHF antenna, but I am going to capacity. Here at the PD, we also have the "shorties" which brings the length down quite a bit that they look kinda funny, and no larger than an XTS.

Essentially the same software options are available for both radios, and the only time you need the 1meg verison of the AS is for the 9600 digital trunking, which is rare. Other than that, your golden.

We are slowly phasing in XTS3000's to replace our aging analog sabers, and the guys hate them. They would rather have the older sabers.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
Cpd014
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links

Post by Cpd014 »

I have both radios, but I love my Astro Saber III and its only because the radio is not as bulky as the XTS but other than that both radios are great. So with that I would go with an Astro Saber if I had a gun to my head and had to make the decision.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I have used both radios and prefer the Astro Saber. True, the XTS will use many of the standart Jedi accessories, but for me, it's more of a tactile thing. The AS feels better in my hand. I have a large hand, and the AS fits better in my palm. When not on a clip, you can put it in your back pocket and it doesn't feel uncomfortable. Because the display is larger on an XTS, it's also more vulnerable to damage.
KG6EAQ
Batboard $upporter

Post by KG6EAQ »

Bob wrote:I have used both radios and prefer the Astro Saber. True, the XTS will use many of the standart Jedi accessories, but for me, it's more of a tactile thing. The AS feels better in my hand. I have a large hand, and the AS fits better in my palm. When not on a clip, you can put it in your back pocket and it doesn't feel uncomfortable. Because the display is larger on an XTS, it's also more vulnerable to damage.
Bob, I totally agree with you! I've used both of the radios and prefer AS over the XTS. I'm quite afraid the XTS is going to just fall apart or have the screen crack. The AS3 fits extremely well in my back pocket too, same reason I love the HT600/MT1000's and the MX series radios.
-Robert F.
KG6EAQ
larrybl

Astro Saber vs XTS

Post by larrybl »

From the stand point of "The guy that has to fix-em" I perfer the XTS.
With a lot of sabers MTS and XTS, I only need to stock one replacement charger, remote mic for the MTS/XTS. The Saber tends to break at the base plate, expecially when carried in back pocket.

I will admit there are plusses to the saber, I am constantly replaceing knobs on the XTS, and none on the Saber.

Fire Department perfers the XTS, saber won't fit in their coat pocket.

XTS has a 3500 MAH battery, great for PD and 12+ hour shifts.

Just my 2 cents.
Julian

Post by Julian »

Anyone else care to comment on why they like/dislike the ASIII or the XTS? I personally like the size and battery life of the XTS, but the durability and the look of the Astro Saber. WELL, i'm 14 years old, and I have the tendency to take my radios with me EVERYWHERE, which means durability is a big thing for me.

Carl

Post by Carl »

In Canada, XTS is too [ Moderated ] expensive... Motorola Dealer are dumb here.. i prefer to buy in the US... for almost the same price

Moderated do to language Content

Monty
Astro25

Post by Astro25 »

Geewhizzz, anything goes on here now doesnt it!!! we got fights going on in the watchbuddy post, we got swearing and other stuff going on in the other forums. This joint is turning into the WWF for cryin out loud LOL :) they should make a forum next to the batlounge called the Cage Match forum so we can all go in there and fight and they cant lock the topics, that would be interesting.
Julian

Post by Julian »

Ehh, who cares... it's not like when we spell it "F***" we're hiding anything. Flame wars and disagreements are bound to happen, people have conflicts, and that's all there is too it.

SmackDaddy

Post by SmackDaddy »

I hate to take this slightly off topic...

Some of you have mentioned that the XTS series is compatible with accessories from other Jedi series radios. Is there a list of these accessories?

Can anyone confirm which battery chargers will work with the XTS? Will the HT-1000 series of Jedi-compatible chargers work? (Assuming the battery and charger are the right chemistry match, etc)

Cheers,
SD.
Julian

Post by Julian »

Yes, the HT1000 rapid desktop charger WILL charge the XTS series. It may be a little snug, but it will work. What I just did, was I removed the battery from the radio everytime I needed to charge it... worked like a dream. Most jedi accessories will work with the XTS3000, with the exception of the carry case and the Public Safety mic.

alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

NOTE:

Charging the NiCad batteries in Jedi chargers are fine. You'll need a dual or tri chem charger in order to charge LiOn and NiMh batteries...

So be careful!

These chargers are also expensive.

-Alex
kc8svs
No Longer Registered

Post by kc8svs »

I like the XTS series better. Hell, they do almost the same thing. Also, the XTS design is reallly cooool. I don't like how the Sabers look kinda big and bulky. More compatible with accessories, etc.
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

I have both AS3s and XTS 3000s in use in my helo company---all on conventional UHF ASTRO25 systems.

I like both radios very much. However, I strongly prefer the XTS 3000 because:

1) the XTS keypad buttons are infinitely easier to press (and read!) than the AS3 (e.g., when turning Scan ON/OFF, Zone selecting, DTMF encoding, etc.);

2) the backlighting on the display and keypad on the XTS is WAY better than the AS3, especially in total darkness (there is NO backlighting on the AS3 keypad buttons);

3) when having a cup of coffee and a chocolate biscotti at Starbucks, I tend to place my handheld on the table top, standing it straight up (so I can quickly turn it down when one of my folks comes screaming across the radio!). The AS3 tends to easily fall over, whereas the XTS stays put, since the XTS has a more stable footprint, and the AS3 is sooooo tall;

4) the AS3 is huge and looks like something from the MX era (I owned a number of MX 360 SPed radios, so don't take this the wrong way!);

5) Currently, Motorola is almost exclusively bidding XTS3000 portable radios on current ASTRO25 sytems, which tells me that XTS is where they are hanging their corporate hat. With such large investments (in something that doesn't even hover), I'd prefer to stay abreast of Motorola, rather than buy their previous gear. M is starting to pull back on how long they are willing to support older radio models in response to cost control pressures. The days of supporting Micors for decades are over with the presense of the new Cost Control Boys at Motorola.

6) in my opinion, the RX audio on the XTS sounds much better than the RX audio on the AS, and I think the TX audio on the XTS is also better.

7) the batteries on the AS radio seem to loosen up after a short period of commercial use. And, it is not at all uncommon for the metal battery connector to crack the AS plastic case after a while in the field, or if one bumps something. The XTS battery design seems to stay tight almost ad infinitum, and doesn't seem to loosen up with use.

Again, I LOVE BOTH radios, but strongly prefer the XTS. Just my personal opinions...

Larry
Twisted_Pear
Batboard $upporter

Post by Twisted_Pear »

alex wrote:NOTE:

Charging the NiCad batteries in Jedi chargers are fine. You'll need a dual or tri chem charger in order to charge LiOn and NiMh batteries...

So be careful!

These chargers are also expensive.

-Alex
I use OEM NiMH batteries for my XTS in the Jedi Intellicharger and they work fine.

-Wayne
evoc1998

Astro Saber all the way!

Post by evoc1998 »

Julian,

The AS3 is not in the way as much. I have used the other radio and it always seemed that I was hitting my arm on the side of that thing when I was walking.

Also, AS3 will be supported even though "M" may be pushing the others as LAPD is a very large factor to keeping the radio commitment going for them.

AS3 was demo'd at our station by the "M" rep and the first thing he did was throw it across the room and let it hit a big wall. Picked it up and worked like a charm. I don't suggest that you do that with other radios.

Good Luck
cfd95

Post by cfd95 »

i have to say XTS for now. i really like it. audio is excellent, size, same accessories as jedi series but i just bought an AS III my thoughts may change.
abbylind
What radios do you own?: What dont I own?

XTS

Post by abbylind »

Ive carried both radios for a few years
I prefer the XTS due to size and weight
The functions on the radios seem the same
I do like the lighted channel selector on the XTS too.

Fowler

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”