TAPATALK

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

glaforce
New User

TAPATALK

Post by glaforce »

Greetings admin staff hope you had a good 4th. I will get right to my question, can you please setup "TAPATALK" on the message board. As i understand it this is a free plugin for PHP message boards. As a mobile user this app allows me a much nicer formatted view of the MSG board. I use this daily to access other MSG board "doityourselfchristmas.com" To us the end user there is a small fee to get this app for or Iphone or android or black berry device how ever it is an awesome interface and is very stable. If you add this functionality to the bat board your mobile user will love you for it.

A long time user of batlabs (i don't log in to the board that much but with a mobile interface that would change)

Gary LaForce
N0PBM
glaforce
alex
Administrator

Re: TAPATALK

Post by alex »

George -

I don't have an issue with it, however, the $1000 would end up coming out of my pocket. If we were going to do this I think we would consider moving the forum to something like vbulletin and then doing their mobile add on. That is around $500 or so, but there are yearly licensing fees we would also have to look in to.

Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
gopher

Post by gopher »

Add my vote for tapatalk. According to their site, it only cost 1000 for them to make a custom rebanded app. Its also possible to get the forum on tapatalk free. U just add a plugin on the server, and the batlabs would be viewable on the tapatalk app. I never did this so i dont know whats involved with the technicial side.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

I'll ping the support guys with my questions - but I think my main issue is with advertising. There isn't any here and the custom app indicates that it removes the advertising within the application (or add's your own)... If we can get by with the free one and have there be no advertising associated with the forum (e.g. they really shouldn't be making money off the forum here) then I don't think there is an issue unless something security wise becomes a concern. We are not giving out the credentials to a third party and would much rather host something as part of the server itself....

I'm also curious to see your guys demand for it...

Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
bezking
What radios do you own?: /\/\

Post by bezking »

Lindsay has it on rr. I guess I'd use it here too if we had it, but then again I don't really have any issues with looking at the full board, even with batblack, on my cellphone. The one downside is that the client does cost a few bucks on the app stores...
The bandsplit is only a suggestion.

tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

The normal web interface works fine on my iPad and iPhone...
Victor Xray

Post by Victor Xray »

tvsjr wrote:The normal web interface works fine on my iPad and iPhone...
+1 as well as my Android
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Even on my crappy old 8830 Blackberry browser, it really isn't too bad as is...gets me by on a weekend away, at least...using batblack.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
crazyboy

Post by crazyboy »

I'm running tapatalk for free on a forum I admin that is running the same version of phpbb. No problems, and it was cake to install.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

alex wrote:I'll ping the support guys with my questions - but I think my main issue is with advertising. There isn't any here and the custom app indicates that it removes the advertising within the application (or add's your own)... If we can get by with the free one and have there be no advertising associated with the forum (e.g. they really shouldn't be making money off the forum here) then I don't think there is an issue unless something security wise becomes a concern. We are not giving out the credentials to a third party and would much rather host something as part of the server itself....

Alex
Suspect the ads show up on the phone only so I don't see what the problem here is.
Spiffy50

Post by Spiffy50 »

I would use it.
crazyboy

Post by crazyboy »

escomm wrote:
alex wrote:I'll ping the support guys with my questions - but I think my main issue is with advertising. There isn't any here and the custom app indicates that it removes the advertising within the application (or add's your own)... If we can get by with the free one and have there be no advertising associated with the forum (e.g. they really shouldn't be making money off the forum here) then I don't think there is an issue unless something security wise becomes a concern. We are not giving out the credentials to a third party and would much rather host something as part of the server itself....

Alex
Suspect the ads show up on the phone only so I don't see what the problem here is.
That's correct.
MikeOxlong

Post by MikeOxlong »

I'll throw my vote in for Tapatalk.

I use it on Radioreference and am quite happy with it.

For the moderators, it supports moderation commands as well.
KD7KDC
What radios do you own?: MT1000vu Saber2vu Spectra vu

Post by KD7KDC »

I going to put my vote in for adding Tapatalk to the Batboard.

Steve
motoapco25

Post by motoapco25 »

any update to getting it ?

id prefer it to having to zoom in and out in the browser to read stuff
K8TEK
"Dark Chocolate"
What radios do you own?: Dynatac

Post by K8TEK »

I PM'd Alex this week about it and he ignored me. I think Alex is misinformed when it comes to the price. It is free for the server administrator to install, the cost is passed on to the client.

The $1000 you speak of is to get your own personalized app for the android market or app store.
K8TEK::Tim
firefighter105
What radios do you own?: Spectra,TK780,TK280,HT1250,XTS

Post by firefighter105 »

I am just curious if this has been talked about more.

As it is, if I need to do anything on this board, I use the computer because it is soooo darn small on my BB it is a PITA.
been seeing way too many people who are DWBAD

Kenwood TK790 High Power (1)
A4 VHF Spectra remote mount (1)
Kenwood TK280 Portable (1)
HT1250 Portable (2)
Kenwood TK780 (1)
XTS2500 (1)
Java
What radios do you own?: Astro, XTS, XTL, WARIS

Post by Java »

It's 2014 and still no tapatalk...that's too bad. Because statistics show iPhone & android users use tapatalk to view forums more than using a mobile browser window.
It is not $1000.00 to add tapatalk to this website LOL sure if you want to pay a developer a grand to create a BatBoard android and iPhone app I'll take up the offer.

Mmhmm that's my 2¢
Java
PhillyPhoto
was LuiePL
What radios do you own?: XTS5000, APX2000

Post by PhillyPhoto »

I just downloaded it a couple months, and I mainly use it to look at replies to topics or PMs when I'm on the move. I use it for P25, RR, eLightbars etc and would love to have Batlabs in there as well!
Mr.X

Post by Mr.X »

I'll put my vote in to add Tapatalk.

On the 2 forums I run I have it installed. It's free, no advertising and is very easy to install, and no maintenance is required unless an update is required.

It sounded like Alex was up for it, I wonder what happened?

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”