The New Motorola Depot

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Is this you?

Post by DJP126 »

gotdaboot
Would you happen to be Mike L.?
Dave
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: The New Motorola Depot

Post by escomm »

Hey guess what guys? CTDI has been sent on their merry way. Motorola is bringing the depot back in house, well, it's still staying down in Juarez (I guess the cheap labor was too good to pass up). This will explain why the depot has been *&%($@_@ your repairs so badly the last couple months. Motorola is also intentionally not communicating the change to customers.
d119

Post by d119 »

So... The "new" depot will still be in MX, but the employees will be actual Motorolans?
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

d119 wrote:So... The "new" depot will still be in MX, but the employees will be actual Motorolans?
Correct, new facility in Juarez is my understanding.
khw
What radios do you own?: Quantars, Quantros, APX, XTS..

Post by khw »

Is it Motorolans or Mexirolas?

Kevin
Kevin
d119

Post by d119 »

I would say these days it's interchangeable.
KE7JFF
What radios do you own?: MX300 lunchbox

Post by KE7JFF »

Apparently, CTDI still has the Motorola contract for iDEN phone repair....in case thats somehow important.

One of the truck drivers I know at one of my work sites apparently has handled deliveries to CTDI with Motorola repair products. He was telling me how its picked up at various rail terminals in Texas, then trucked to Juarez and sometimes Mexico City. Its run on a schedule for both the inbound and outbound pickups; so what I am guessing what happens is that there's always radios that just got repaired past the deadline for outbound, so it waits.
Mountain Wave Search & Rescue http://www.mwave.org
Support Search & Rescue: Get Lost!
MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Post by MT2000 man »

escomm wrote:Hey guess what guys? CTDI has been sent on their merry way. Motorola is bringing the depot back in house, well, it's still staying down in Juarez (I guess the cheap labor was too good to pass up). This will explain why the depot has been *&%($@_@ your repairs so badly the last couple months. Motorola is also intentionally not communicating the change to customers.

This is great news ! No more half assed repairs ! I have herd horror stories the last few months / year or so, so it's good to know they are changing things up !
d119

Post by d119 »

MT2000 man wrote:
escomm wrote:Hey guess what guys? CTDI has been sent on their merry way. Motorola is bringing the depot back in house, well, it's still staying down in Juarez (I guess the cheap labor was too good to pass up). This will explain why the depot has been *&%($@_@ your repairs so badly the last couple months. Motorola is also intentionally not communicating the change to customers.

This is great news ! No more half assed repairs ! I have herd horror stories the last few months / year or so, so it's good to know they are changing things up !
Er, I don't know that I would say that yet... There may still be an issue of half-assed repairs - there's no way they are getting US labor to go down there... The only difference may be that now they'll have no one to blame but themselves. We'll see.
MT2000 man

Post by MT2000 man »

Well, I'm hoping for the best, but as you say, you never know what will happen lol

It IS Motorola we are talking about here, after all :)
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

The IL depot isn't that much better. They held my laptop hostage for two months before I got a phone call "Hey, we have your equipment here". BTW: The depot claimed that they never received it and the computer system never showed it in inventory.

All because I asked a simple question about an address change three months prior to even doing a repair order. Somehow that popped up in the system which brought everything to a halt.

Friggen depot.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
Medic12

Post by Medic12 »

I wonder if they are providing armored security transport for the US workers in El Paso that need to commute to Juarez every day. Last I heard the drug cartel murders left a body count of over 3000 last year. Kidnappings, mass graves, police chiefs and mayors killed every other month, heads cut off and stuck on poles. Yeaaaaaa. I hope Moto has a good life insurance policy for the poor suckers that have to work there.

-will
KE7JFF

Post by KE7JFF »

Medic12 wrote:I wonder if they are providing armored security transport for the US workers in El Paso that need to commute to Juarez every day. Last I heard the drug cartel murders left a body count of over 3000 last year. Kidnappings, mass graves, police chiefs and mayors killed every other month, heads cut off and stuck on poles. Yeaaaaaa. I hope Moto has a good life insurance policy for the poor suckers that have to work there.

-will
The driver I chatted with says its just an intermodal container. Interestingly, he says he has no problems driving around Juarez. Go figure, right?
Medic12

Post by Medic12 »

I lived in the borderlands down there about 40mi from the border. Never met anyone that went to Ciudad Juarez and admitted it. Even the Mexicans were scared to go there to visit family. Sad. One legal immigrant hadn't seen family in years. Despite your immigration politics beliefs, you gotta admit it blows risking death to see your mom and dad. Nuts.

Being out in the desert at night is a trip. Kicking it at a campfire with friends having beers and having Border Patrol drive by on ATVs fully blacked out with night vision goggles and assault rifles strapped to their back. That was typical.

Majority of border patrol comms was in the clear too. The rest. Analog DES (ugh) and OTAR. No wonder it was in the clear a lot.

Yeaaaaa. Won't find me visiting Juarez anytime soon.

Damn drug gangs ruin everything.

Thread hijacked enough. Sorry.. back to topic.

-will

KE7JFF wrote:
Medic12 wrote:I wonder if they are providing armored security transport for the US workers in El Paso that need to commute to Juarez every day. Last I heard the drug cartel murders left a body count of over 3000 last year. Kidnappings, mass graves, police chiefs and mayors killed every other month, heads cut off and stuck on poles. Yeaaaaaa. I hope Moto has a good life insurance policy for the poor suckers that have to work there.

-will
The driver I chatted with says its just an intermodal container. Interestingly, he says he has no problems driving around Juarez. Go figure, right?
KE7JFF

Post by KE7JFF »

Oh, I know I have heard the stories too from Juarez from many people including a friend who is a former residents who has immigrated here legally, but I thought it was interesting the driver didn't have any complaints. You would think a truck driver would have to return fire a few times...but I guess not.

Looking at a map where CTDI had the building at, I see its by the airport.
Medic12

Post by Medic12 »

Return fire. I wish. Ironically we have Texas where when your kid gets baptized they get issued a CCL and a 9mm. Mexico, caught with a gun.... your *screwed*. Off to jail. I guess Moto could easily secure "security" folk that can carry, but I'm guessing it's really difficult.

"Here is your Motorola company ID badge, you need to fill out these tax forms for hiring, sign this company sexual harassment policy document, and lastly... here is your kevlar bullet proof vest that you must wear at all times."

-will

KE7JFF wrote:Oh, I know I have heard the stories too from Juarez from many people including a friend who is a former residents who has immigrated here legally, but I thought it was interesting the driver didn't have any complaints. You would think a truck driver would have to return fire a few times...but I guess not.

Looking at a map where CTDI had the building at, I see its by the airport.
RADIOMAN2002
What radios do you own?: More than I can count

Post by RADIOMAN2002 »

Some thing interesting, I had sent about 6 HT-1250 in for various repairs, and they all came back FedEX and all with new boards and new housings and even engraved for the same flat rate. Maybe they are not bothering to do repairs and just replace everything, so as to lower complaints.
train_radio_guy

Post by train_radio_guy »

Interestingly, CTDI isn't just in-bed with the wireless industry. They've also got very lucrative contracts with AT&T, Verizon, & Frontier (formerly Citizen's). I understand, they've bought the rights to Siemens Telcom Division as well.

If they can't buy the Telcoms & Radio Manufacturers, they'll buy up the industries that support them. Rather scary that a Chinese-Owned/Affiliated business has such a strangle-hold on the communications industry in America! :o This does not bode well for us in the U.S. :(

Wal-Mart (China) = Consumer Products (The High Price of Low Cost, http://www.walmartmovie.com/)

CTDI (China) = Telecommunications Industry
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing!" - Sledge Hammer
KE7JFF

Post by KE7JFF »

RADIOMAN2002

Post by RADIOMAN2002 »

Are we talking about the same company (CDTI) ? All I know is since my RR won't go for a full boat SMD rework station, we have to send out for simple crap like shorted and open PA's , and some unrecoverable EE prom errors. If this is the way they are going to be repaired, why not just let US the larger consumers buy the boards. They can even be shipped preprogramed with the customers model number, then with tuner add the serial number. Another large consumer in my area just throws the defective radio's away after the extended warranty. It's not worth it to send a radio back for repair and only get back a 30 day warranty.
With Icom beating down the doors of RR's Motorola better get it's act together. I can buy a comparable radio to the HT-1250 with digital (not needed)with a 5 year extended warranty for less that the HT-1250.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Might be a bit of a nitpick but Moto flat rates have a 90 day warranty.... Flat rate around $250, vs $600 for a new radio (with accys of course) I have some customers that find it more economical to repair than replace FWIW

Esp since they are doing wholesale board swaps now.... basically you are having a brand new radio built for you
RADIOMAN2002

Post by RADIOMAN2002 »

But if that is all they are doing, why not let the larger customers buy the boards themselves and stock them. I agree if they are indeed basically giving you a new radio for $284.00 +shipping it's a good deal. That's not the way it's always been, but now you get into the real problem, why would you need a radio shop when you can do everything FedEx? You are a radio shop, why pay an employee 60K a year when you can ship everything to Mexico and have it fixed, or should I say replaced. A little off topic, but goes to show how we have become a throwaway industry, and dumping it I am sure in another country.
arlojanis

Post by arlojanis »

If Motorola sold cheap replacement boards to everyone, some people would start building radios from parts and selling them as new radios.
"The world runs on radio."
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

arlojanis wrote:If Motorola sold cheap replacement boards to everyone, some people would start building radios from parts and selling them as new radios.
Isn't that what Nick did? GARY N4KVE
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

N4KVE wrote:
arlojanis wrote:If Motorola sold cheap replacement boards to everyone, some people would start building radios from parts and selling them as new radios.
No, he bought parts with stolen credit cards and built radios
d119

Post by d119 »

escomm wrote:
N4KVE wrote:
This story just gets more twisted every time I hear it. Who knows what the real truth is/was. I sense a terrible digression of topic approaching... Say it ain't so.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

d119 wrote:
escomm wrote:
N4KVE wrote:Isn't that what Nick did? GARY N4KVE
This story just gets more twisted every time I hear it. Who knows what the real truth is/was. I sense a terrible digression of topic approaching... Say it ain't so.
It's right there in the court filings and minute orders, something like $800k in parts from stolen CCs. It's how they got him to roll on his partner.
firetech792

Post by firetech792 »

Found this video on YouTube of the depot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvvukLZqKlc
bezking
What radios do you own?: /\/\

Post by bezking »

If you pause that video at 1:39 you can see the headings on those panels are in spanish :D
The bandsplit is only a suggestion.

escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Sealed trucks with GPS tracking so how do they keep losing radios?
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Cute....sent in an XTS2500 for a flat rate... they RURed it saying no longer supported....

Whiskey

Tango

Foxtrot
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

escomm wrote:Sealed trucks with GPS tracking so how do they keep losing radios?
The drug cartels have to be using something....
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
d119

Post by d119 »

escomm wrote:Cute....sent in an XTS2500 for a flat rate... they RURed it saying no longer supported....

Whiskey

Tango

Foxtrot
We had a customer send two XTS 3000 M2's down to us because the depot RUR'ed them as no longer supported. Nice to know they weren't the only ones. We fixed 'em down here.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Well XTS3000s are not supported since it has been 5 years since they were canceled

XTS2500s are still a current production model
d119

Post by d119 »

We had an XTS 3000 in to the depot not a month ago and it came back repaired.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

They will generally make a best effort attempt on unsupported models if the parts are still available but i am surprised they even touched them... of course depending on the customer the support list can mean nothing. Have I ever told you about the 100 watt VHF astro spectras Customs got in central Florida with February 2011 build dates? No BS, they still build them if you're the right customer. Motorola goofed on an order and mixed up packing slips
d119

Post by d119 »

escomm wrote:They will generally make a best effort attempt on unsupported models if the parts are still available but i am surprised they even touched them... of course depending on the customer the support list can mean nothing. Have I ever told you about the 100 watt VHF astro spectras Customs got in central Florida with February 2011 build dates? No BS, they still build them if you're the right customer. Motorola goofed on an order and mixed up packing slips
Doesn't surprise me. I've seen them cough up brand new iDEN handsets that were discontinued years ago. Considering who the customer was, it didn't surprise me.
MT2000 man

Post by MT2000 man »

Hmmm, I wonder if they have any new Astro Saber's floating around :)
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

MT2000 man wrote:Hmmm, I wonder if they have any new Astro Saber's floating around :)
I'm still enjoying the practically new one I got from you last year. 8) GARY N4KVE
MT2000 man

Post by MT2000 man »

N4KVE wrote:
MT2000 man wrote:Hmmm, I wonder if they have any new Astro Saber's floating around :)
I'm still enjoying the practically new one I got from you last year. 8) GARY N4KVE

Yes, that is one GREAT radio, and I'm glad it's being put to good use !

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”