10 years ago today . . . .

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

10 years ago today . . . .

Post by MT2000 man »

I joined this site ! Actually, I beleive I was a few days late to join here on the first day this forum opened up. I was part of the OLD Batlabs discussion forum, when it was just a "tree" style drop-down menu forum.

Anyway, I know this isn't "radio discussion" per say, but I think it's a pretty big deal that this site has been around for 10 years ! (and longer if you count the old one). This is the longest I have been a member of any forum !
Man, time flies !!
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Re: 10 years ago today . . . .

Post by RadioSouth »

Yes, just about the same time for me as well. I think a lot of us would like to go back to then (pre 9/11).
Last edited by RadioSouth on Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
PETNRDX
What radios do you own?: Too many

Post by PETNRDX »

Yep, me too.
Lots of us from the previous forum.
I check in here several times a day, and its a rare day that I don't learn something.
Hopefully, I contribute something useful once in a while.
I sure hope I am around another 10 years.
Steve K.
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Post by Josh »

I don't think there are too many "old skoolers" left.
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

Josh wrote:I don't think there are too many "old skoolers" left.
Just faded into obscurity.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

For those of you who were here before we got all organized and respectable, do you remember how you could skewer and flame people anonymously? We were a much less polite bunch in those days. Now, as I said, we're all respectable, organized, courteous and deferential to others (well, most of the time) and we've lost that Wild West flavor we once had on the Board. I suppose the Batboard would no longer exist if we'd continued the way it once was. Just my thoughts.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
MT2000 man

Post by MT2000 man »

I agree Tom. I do remember from the OLD Boards someone calling Elroy "Smellroy Setson" and causing problems.

So glad all that is in the past :)

Also, despite not having nowhere near as many posts as a lot do here, I STILL to this day check in here at least twice daily. I also agree with the member that said you still manage to learn new things all the time here ! Also, I believe this board has some of the BEST class of members out of ANY website I've joined as well. You just have people here that are SO willing to help others out, and are very respected for that. All in all I'm very proud to be a Batlabs member after all these years :)

Mike
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Off topic, locked!

Just kidding, lol. Wow, it is hard to believe it's been 10 years for this board iteration. Before this we ran on a similar but different format, which I really liked, and of course the 'wide open' BBS style format before that. It's too bad the information couldn't have been saved from those days...a lot of good info on the older series radios was exchanged back then.

We've had memorable characters come and go over the years, especially when the Lounge existed. It's also worth mentioning the 'new' Batlounge and Hamsexy got their start in concept by Batboard members here.

I found Batlabs by accident way back in the day, searching for some sort of Motorola information, don't even remember what it was now. I got hooked on the forum & have been here near-daily (with occasional breaks) ever since. It's a great community & one I'm proud to be a part of.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
MT2000 man

Post by MT2000 man »

wavetar wrote:Off topic, locked!
I was like . . . OH NO, I hope he . . . . . then I said "whew" as I kept reading lol

Glad to see everyone here from the "old days" that are . . . well, still here :)

Come to think of it, thanks to this site, I have probably spent THOUSANDS of dollars on radio equipment throughout the years haha. BUT, it was all well worth it.

I hope to still be here an another 10 years :)
JRUTA
What radios do you own?: APX6k Visar

Post by JRUTA »

Not sure exactly when the "new" batboard came about, but i have been around since sometime in 2003- my former name was "John 1807". The only reason i didnt keep it was because i was away from things for a while, and by the time i came back to it, i could no longer even remember my user name- let alone the password. It was easier for me to just re-enlist. I was guided here by a good friend who was killed at world trade. (obviously prior to my joining) PAPD Lt. Robert D Cirri. Ten years ago. He was the older brother i never had. Cop, Paramedic, fellow Motorola enthusiest. Ive met many excellent, helpful people on this board, including the late- great Monty. All these years later I still visit this site often to read and learn - and moreso now due to how far mobile computing has come since i first joined. I dont post much, mostly lurk, yet still here, enjoying the site as much as always. Heres to another ten years Batlabs!
MT2000 man

Post by MT2000 man »

So very sorry for your loss of your friend in the WTC :(

Also, yes, Monty was one of the best ! I've dealt with him MANY times throughout the years. He was always very friendly, very knowledgeable, and always had superior service. Very sad that he has since passed on :( He will always be remembered here as one of the best of the best.
DPL

Post by DPL »

In the interest of nostalgia, the earliest capture of the batboard on the Internet Archive seems to be from April 5th, 2001. Unfortunately it seems that the messages themselves weren't captured, so we only get to look at the index.

Here is a capture from September 25th, 2001, at which point the board was running phpBB version 1.4.2.

Both of these were slightly before my time.

By May 24th, 2002, a couple of months before I joined, the site was running phpBB 2.1.0.

Like others have said, I almost never fail to learn something every time I come here. It's also a much more civilized forum than most.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

I *think* I have the old forum archives somewhere. I'll look in to making them accessible sometime in the next week or two. They are not 100% complete but are more complete than the index that may be stuck in google cache. Someone on the forum sent me all the data some time ago, I can not think of whom off hand.

Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

Wow, saw a post I made WAY BACK in April of 2002 about an MTX1000!
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

Ive been her a long time too..I have checked in here daily at least 2-3 times a day. I have made many good contacts here online and off. I know some of the members personally from my dealings with my side job and Fire department. I have also had great dealings with other members I have never met but trust from past deals.

I for one was pretty P.O'ed when all the infighting and name calling happened earler and the boards future was in danger. Im glad it worked out and it seems to flow a little easier .

I cant say enough to the Admin and moderatiors who keep this place an excellent resource. Its funny when I had a tech who worked for a larger MSS called me one day I was on duty He had a question about an older radio. I wasnt near a computer or at the shop wher we have file cabinet where we store our older manuals. I told him check over at the batboard.. His reply was " Yea, I should. Those guys over there know all about everthing Motorola."
dvpman

Post by dvpman »

And yes even after 10 years I still visit weekly. Not as much anymore as my city went edacs a while ago.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”