XTS2500 PARTS / REPAIR NEEDED

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

havmedic26

XTS2500 PARTS / REPAIR NEEDED

Post by havmedic26 »

I have an XTS2500 with 2 broken flex connectors. The flex cables may or may not be damaged also. Does anyone have access to those parts to sell or can anyone repair the radio?

Thanks,
JT

d119

Re: XTS2500 PARTS / REPAIR NEEDED

Post by d119 »

Whew... That's ugly!

I'd suggest a trip to the depot to get this thing straightened out... Replacing those connectors is next to impossible due to the tolerances involved.

I don't even want to know how that got that way... Someone who did something they shouldn't have, clearly...
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

Is it intermittent enough to atleast read it or does it not communicate at all? I assume the latter.
abbylind
What radios do you own?: What dont I own?

Post by abbylind »

It appears that someone used gorilla glue or super glue on that flex to hold it down..ugh!

Fowler :-x
Q: Does this unit come with a speaker?
A: hello yes its in the radio thanks
kotaguchi
What radios do you own?: XTS5000

Post by kotaguchi »

Even if you can get the ZIFF connectors for the board,it will take a very good hand solder experienced person to use a heat gun or Pace Heat wand,plenty of flux and good pair of tweezers to heat the part and remove the older connector and then while the pad is warm,to drop the new connector on the spot and hand solder the pins on the lands pads.

Those small pads are very delicate and any heat can lift the pads of the pcb assembly.Once a pad is fully lifted,the board is scrap.pad repair is not cost effective on that board.

I have done it in the past in my past job but its a pain in the ass.

The introduction of"GLUE"does not make it easy either.
In Memory of those that serve.

Seal Team Six

Radios I currently own:

2-qty APX7000 UHF R2/700-800MHz M3
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Depot it or replace the board. Not worth the time required to fix.
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

depot may not flat rate it with that redneck repair! I've seen them revert to t & m on radios with this kind of improper repair, citing physical damage.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
K8TEK
"Dark Chocolate"
What radios do you own?: Dynatac

Post by K8TEK »

Acetone should dissolve that glue no problem. As far as tolerances, apparently some have never attempted to work on a 48 pin TSOP chip. Those have about the same pitch. Those connectors are cheap and very resilient to heat.

Whoever did that needs beaten.
K8TEK::Tim
gopher

Post by gopher »

thats is absolutely horrible, whoever did that should be fired. Its not epoxy is it?
if you decide a DIY repair, soldering those is not as hard as it looks. a small tip and a steady hand will work fine.
if the acetone dissolves the glue, use hot air or low temp solder to blob off the connector. a fiberglass brush to clean up the contacts nice hopefully no lifted pads.

http://www.molex.com/molex/products/gro ... l=PRODUCTS

I have a cable you can have for free
havmedic26

Post by havmedic26 »

The radio communicates perfectly with everything except the display and the keyboard as I recall. It takes a flash, cps programming, tx, rx, etc. The "repair" was done by a co-worker who said he had fixed them before. That is what I got back. I do believe it is Gorrilla glue or some reasonable facsimile. epoxy would be a darker color. He indicated that he was trying to glue the arm of the connector back in place. I could easily replace the connectors if I could find the parts. The cable would be very helpful though. I am in the lookup - K9WFD

JT
cbus

Post by cbus »

WOW, what a terrible repair!.
W6WAW

Post by W6WAW »

At times, panter or panter88888 (the same person) on ebay has had these connectors available. He doesn't list them, but you could try contacting him directly.

His price was quite reasonable. As I recall, it was something like $5 or $7 for a set of both of the connectors. I would suggest buying more than one set. You can pass the spares on to others if they aren't used as the shipping cost will be more than the cost of the parts.

The connector may well be available directly from MOL, if you can get the correct part number.

The radio can be fixed by someone with a hot air rework station -- or someone skilled in working with a small iron. Just be careful that you know your tech and his/her level of skill.

You may need to replace the flex, given the picture but you should be able to restore the radio to working condition.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

I can think of other non-radio uses for the soldering iron and hot-air reflow station on this project... like convincing a "cow-orker" that he is NOT a radio tech and should NEVER disassemble one in the future...

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”