Astro Spectra backlight question

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Norman
New User

Astro Spectra backlight question

Post by Norman »

Hi everyone. I have two Astro Spectras with W4 heads. One of them behaves normally (defaults to on/brightest, then the display dims to dark in three more steps).

The other one's display also defaults to brightest, but no backlight. This is followed by two steps of decreasingly dimmer display WITH BACKLIGHT, then to dark. In other words, the backlight doesn't work with the display at the brightest (first) setting but works in the middle two settings. I'd like the backlight to stay on for the first three steps so I don't want to strap it on permanently. Is there a software setting to get the backlight on at the brightest setting or does this sound like a hardware problem?
jmr061
was KB9KST

Re: Astro Spectra backlight question

Post by jmr061 »

It is a zero ohm jumper on the control head board itself. I don't recall off the top of my head but I know it has been posted before where it is. If you are good at soldering small componets go for it. If not best leave it alone.

Jason
Norman
New User

Post by Norman »

Are you referring to this thread?
http://batboard.dreamhosters.com/viewto ... 13f4c9ccd5

If I understand it correctly, adjusting these jumpers allows you to choose from "normal", "always on", and "always off". I want "normal" but the problem is I only get backlight in two of the three possible backlight steps. I don't get backlight in the first (brightest) step, so I am having to choose between:

- "bright display without backlight"

- "dimmed display with backlight"

I'd like to have "bright display with backlight"

Norman
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Yes that is the info. Jumper 16 and 17 are the key. With the always on in place at the brightest display level the backlighting will be on and then it will step through the dimming process with the dim button.

The jumper just makes the backlighting come on at the brightest display level instead of having it off. Otherwise it functions the same.

Jason
Norman
New User

Post by Norman »

Thanks Jason! I'll give a shot.

--Norman
Norman
New User

Post by Norman »

Hi Jason,

Okay -- I opened up all three heads to check on the status of the jumpers. The head which works the way I like it (backlight on at first three levels) has JU16 out and JU17 in, and the heads that do not have backlight at the brightest setting are reverse: JU16 in and JU17 out. Now I just need to gather up enough nerve to move the SMD jumper from JU16 to JU17 on the other two heads.

For those who might be interested, the head which is currently jumpered to have its backlight on in the first three brightness levels happens to be a motorcycle W4 head. The other two are non-motorcycle W4 heads. Maybe that's how they ship 'em?

Thank you for helping me figure this out!

Norman
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Did you do this?

Jason
Norman
New User

Post by Norman »

KB9KST wrote:Did you do this?

Jason
Sorry Jason -- haven't been back to this thread since my last post. Yes, with your guidance, I moved the resistor and I have backlight in all but the last (black-out) levels.

Thanks!

Norman

Return to “Radio Programming”