Help with Mic selection & audio issue

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jay G.
Batboard $upporter

Help with Mic selection & audio issue

Post by Jay G. »

Hello guys!
Have a tough sensitive issue which I'm trying to help out with.

We have a volunteer security detail at my temple every Saturday during services. We have over 70 members as part of our team. One of our members was injured in an accident several years ago, and as a result has extremely limited use of his voicebox. He basically can only whisper.

We are trying to come up with something to make his use of a radio, and our ability to hear him easier. We have tried secret service kits, throat mics, speaker mics. They help, but arent enough. Can anyone make a suggestion as to what else we can try??
Only thing I was thinking of was to raise the mic gain all the way up on his specific radio, but I'm worried we will pickup too much outside noise in doing so.....

Any ideas greatly apprecitated.

Thanks to all!
Jay Goldmark, EMT
Ex-Captain, Woodmere Vol. Fire Dept.
Fire District Communications Supv.
KC2ZHI Amateur Radio Operator
Licensed Master Electrician
Owner, Top Class Electric, LLC.
Woodmere, Long Island, NY

"Enjoy Life, it's not a dress rehearsal !!!"

mr.syntrx

Re: Help with Mic selection & audio issue

Post by mr.syntrx »

What if you wind the mic gain right up on his radio while he uses a throat mic? The throat mic shouldn't pick up much outside noise.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

If you are using a repeater, you can process the audio with a compander to bring his level up without affecting the other users. I'll have to find a link. This product is similar to broadcast processors that even out program audio without pumping, hiss, etc. but is designed for land mobile use. It will turn down Mr BELLOWS as well as raise Mr Cricket.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Have you tried an ear microphone??
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

mr.syntrx wrote:What if you wind the mic gain right up on his radio while he uses a throat mic? The throat mic shouldn't pick up much outside noise.
First thing I also thought of when reading the original post. I'd give this option a try, for sure.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

If you are using a repeater - that has a way for you to break into the transmit audio path - the DSL-300 dynamic limiter may help with this guy. I routinely use these on repeaters, and they solve problems.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”