APX7000 antenna port with PSM

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

n9jig
What radios do you own?: CDM's, Pro Series portables.

APX7000 antenna port with PSM

Post by n9jig »

On the APX7000 (ours are 7/800 and UHF-R2) we have a debate whether the radio antenna is disconnected when the PSM is attached. It appears from our use that at least the UHF side remains on the radio while the 7/800 side uses the PSM antenna.

The question is how is this determined? Can this be set in the CPS or is it automatic?
Rich Carlson, N9JIG
http://www.n9jig.com
MSS-Dave
What radios do you own?: XTL5K, NX300, PD782, Spark Gap

Re: APX7000 antenna port with PSM

Post by MSS-Dave »

I can find it somewhere but on a UHF R1 / 7-800 APX, the PSM only works on 7-800 on the PSM antenna. UHF/GPS stays on the radio. That's the way mine works. I don't know if it can be switched manually. I don't have VHF so can't answer that either. Interested how the VHF/UHF radio works on a PSM if anyone can answer that....

Dave
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

Well, for some reason the user guide is not available in pdf, but this is from the APX accessories guide:
IMPRES Public Safety Microphone (PSM)
"This IMPRES-enabled microphone is designed with an antenna to offer confidence in communication and increased coverage to Public Safety officials. All PSMs include 3.5mm audio jack, orange button and radio volume control.
Antenna is sold separately. Public Safety Microphones are available with 700/800 MHz portables only.
PMMM4061 IMPRES Public Safety Microphone (30 inch cable) Windporting, IP55
PMMN4060 IMPRES Public Safety Microphone (24 inch cable) Windporting, IP55
PMMN4059 IMPRES Public Safety Microphone (18 inch cable) Windporting, IP55
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
n9jig
What radios do you own?: CDM's, Pro Series portables.

Post by n9jig »

So it appears that 700/800 is always ported to the PSM when attached, and UHF or VHF stays on the radio...

Thanks!
Rich Carlson, N9JIG
http://www.n9jig.com
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

I'm sorry, did I just read Motorola say that using a PSM improves coverage??????????? :o
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

n9jig wrote:So it appears that 700/800 is always ported to the PSM when attached, and UHF or VHF stays on the radio...

Thanks!
So there is no PSM for UHF or VHF?
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

escomm wrote:I'm sorry, did I just read Motorola say that using a PSM improves coverage??????????? :o
Why pay for simulcast when you can just use PSMs? 8)
CTAMontrose
was grem467

Post by CTAMontrose »

escomm wrote:I'm sorry, did I just read Motorola say that using a PSM improves coverage??????????? :o
Why wouldnt it? They are making the comparson between a radio with the antenna on the belt, with the user having a normal speaker mic. Having the antenna up on your shoulder as opposed to your gut can help reduce body fade. I suppose "coverage" might not have been the best descripor for this, but marketing materials typically are not written for techies.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

CTAMontrose wrote:
Why wouldnt it? They are making the comparson between a radio with the antenna on the belt, with the user having a normal speaker mic. Having the antenna up on your shoulder as opposed to your gut can help reduce body fade. I suppose "coverage" might not have been the best descripor for this, but marketing materials typically are not written for techies.
Because of the poorer antenna, poorer groundplane on the antenna, coax cable losses going to the radio? Every other PSM Motorola has sold comes with a note about degraded performance. This is the first time I've ever seen them claim a PSM improves coverage.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”