Serial expresscard adapter

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Motoman
What radios do you own?: XTS3000 III, MTS2000 III,

Serial expresscard adapter

Post by Motoman »

I have an IBM with xp to run CPS but doesn't have a serial port RS232 so i cant hook up my RIB. I've seen some of those PCMIA or expressport card to serial adapters for it. Would they be okay or should i just get a laptop with the serial port built in? Thanks.
Also will i have trouble telling the CPS where the comm port is.
Motoman at your service!
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Re: Serial expresscard adapter

Post by HLA »

first what cps are you trying to run? And yes, a laptop with a real serial port is always the best way to go
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
Motoman
What radios do you own?: XTS3000 III, MTS2000 III,

Post by Motoman »

Thanks for your reply. I'm using Astro Spectra CPS 05.02.00 and Astro Mobile 25 R12.00.00
Motoman at your service!
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

The PCMCIA cards will work just fine with Windows CPS. They do give a 'real' serial port, as they interface directly to the serial bus within the computer. Once you install it, it will automatically assign itself to a COM port, which you can view in Windows device manager. Most CPS should also automatically 'see' the new COM port, whatever the number of it is, and allow you to choose it. Some older CPS packages may only work with COM 1-to-4, in that case you can change the COM port number in device manager.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.

Return to “Radio Programming”