HT1250 220MHz Modification - Any help?

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

d119

HT1250 220MHz Modification - Any help?

Post by d119 »

OK. Just dropped some SERIOUS dough on a 220MHz repeater for the ham band. Glad I have my trusty Alinco HT.

BUT

I have this nice pair of 220MHz HT1250's sitting here looking at me as if I was some sort of moron. "Haven't you figured it out yet?" they say to me. "Whats taking so long!" they sometimes shout.

So who's got the goods on making these guys work in the 220MHz amateur band? I understand it's been done with the CDM mobiles, so what gives on the handhelds?

Someone please help me with this.

Thanks!
Batwings21

Re: HT1250 220MHz Modification - Any help?

Post by Batwings21 »

http://www.mediafire.com/?wz1i1vjtrwx

Here's the instructions. Best viewed in wordpad with wordwrap set to wrap to window. I did not come up with them, just stumbled upon them. Should work for 220 also.
d119

Post by d119 »

This isn't making a whole lot of sense to me. If I sent you codeplugs, could you take care of it for me, O' fellow CET?

I get the gist of what needs to happen, but I've tried converting the .CPG file from SREC to BIN and it doesn't happen.
Batwings21

Post by Batwings21 »

I have only done it with s-records, like the default ones included with the firmware kits. I have not tried it with a .cpg. Let me look into it some more.
Batwings21

Post by Batwings21 »

I think you need to find the inofficial us waris lab flashgrade kit. Then modify your tuner to be able to set the sn even if its not blank, the instructions can be found somewhere on the board or on Andreas site. Save your tuning data from both units, edit the default s-record codeplug for your tanapa that comes with the kit to your desired bandsplit. Then force that into the radio. Set you serial number back to the proper one and dump you tuning data back in. I could not find a way to get a normal .cpg file unencrypted.
d119

Post by d119 »

Yeah, I tried all of that and the damn program bombs out every time I try to write to the radio, even using two different computers.

The version I have is from 2008.
d119

Post by d119 »

OK! I've got them working on 220MHz. The only issue is that they are 12.5kHz only operation, and you cannot put in a 20kHz channel.

Any workarounds known for this?
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

d119 wrote:OK! I've got them working on 220MHz. The only issue is that they are 12.5kHz only operation, and you cannot put in a 20kHz channel.

Any workarounds known for this?
Please document your procedure and share with the members as i am sure enquiring minds would like to know.
fineshot1
NJ USA
d119

Post by d119 »

Once I get this working properly I'll write something up. For now, I have it working but it requires the radio to have a 12.5kHz split entered, and the deviation is slightly low.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

~thread bump~
Okay, I finally got this figured out. Bandedit-en.doc doesn't mention a couple of things you need to do to make this work.

First off, you need three software packages: Professional Series CPS, Global Tuner, and the "unofficial" US Waris Lab Upgrade Kit. Two versions of the latter are known to exist in the wild: R02.06.01 and R02.08.00. Both seem to function identically but the more recent version comes with a wider range of default "codeplugs" (they are actually s-records) to work with. Also, you don't need a HLN9742 flash adapter nor will you need to put the radio into bootstrap mode at any time.

For demonstrative purposes we'll "do" a 220 MHz CDM1550LS+.

Step 1: Read the radio with Global Tuner and save an archive. Don't even think about doing anything else before doing this.

Step 2: Go into the codeplug files included with the Waris Lab Upgrade Kit and locate the codeplug file which matches the TANAPA of your radio. For the 220 CDM1550LS, this is PMUD1765B.

Step 3: Copy the codeplug into a separate folder with srec2bin.exe and bin2srec.exe from http://www.s-record.com. MOT2BIN.exe from Batlabs won't work with these files.

Step 4: Run srec2bin on the codeplug file. Name the output file "220.bin" or "test.bin."

Step 5: Open the .bin file with Hex Workshop. Run a Checksum-8 on byte locations 642 through 727. You should get a checksum value of 90. Do not change ANYTHING without running a Checksum-8 first. This location range represents one line of s-record code.

Step 6: The Waris line uses a base frequency and high and low values (and some complex math) to calculate upper and lower frequency ranges. The baseband frequency (which you won't be changing) is located at offset 685, the lower frequency at 687, and the upper frequency at 689. Using the formula on bandedit-en, we get (hex) 1018 for the 103 MHz base frequency, 5910 for 217 MHz, and 5CF8 for 222 MHz. Note also that the serial number is displayed in plain text starting at offset 645 as "0123456789;" you can change it later.

Step 7: Overwrite 5CF8 with 5F50 to extend the upper range to 225 MHz. [(225-103)x1000]/5 = 24400 (5F50 hex) Use the numbers as shown; you don't need to use the full frequency in Hz like with Astro CPS and other software mods.

Step 8: Run a Checksum-8 on 642 through 727 again. It should increase in value, and if you fixed the serial number it will have increased a lot. Increase or decrease the value of byte 727 until the Checksum-8 value is 90 again.

Step 9: Save and close the .bin file with a different name than the original, like "220a.bin" or "test_mod.bin."

Step 10: Run bin2srec on your newly-modified .bin file. You can name the output file anything you want, but it has to end in ".0" or the codeplug tool won't recognize it.

Step 11: Open the original unmodified codeplug file with Hex Workshop. Take note of how the s-record is laid out; there is no header, the only footer is "S9030000FC," and there is only one byte value of 0A between s-record lines. Now open the new s-record file created from your modified .bin file. You'll notice that it looks a lot different than the original.. it has a header starting with S006, an extra footer beginning with S503, and an extra byte value of 0D between the s-record lines. This is what causes the codeplug tool to barf and crash when you try to load a modified codeplug; it expects a certain s-record layout and can't deal with this extra information. Go through it and delete the extra 0D byte between lines (ensuring that you're not deleting a value inside one of the s-record lines by accident), the new header line, and the extra footer line. Flip back and forth between the original codeplug and the new codeplug if necessary to ensure that the layout matches the layout of the original exactly. If there is one extra misplaced byte anywhere the program will bomb when you try to write to the radio. Save and close the new file when finished.

Step 12: Open and write the new codeplug with the codeplug tool. If you did everything correctly it will write to the radio just like normal CPS. Then use the "Change Regional ID" feature to set the region to North America or regular CPS won't read it.

Step 13: Write the tuning values back in with Global Tuner. If you didn't fix the serial number you'll have to read the radio and input them manually. Note: there is supposedly a modified version of Tuner.exe floating around out there with a serial number edit tool.

Step 14: Program away with normal un-modified CPS. Note that you won't be able to use any previous archives from the radio due to the new bandsplit range.

And there you have it. This should also work for taking lowband radios up to 6 or down to 10, or for taking S-split UHF radios down to 440. And yes, as mentioned previously the 220 radios are hard-locked into 12.5 kHz channel spacing and 2.5 kHz TX deviation.
Jay
Batboard $upporter

Post by Jay »

A couple of thoughts:

In step 5, it took me a bit to understand that you were saying a DECIMAL checksum of 90.

I believe if you write the file into the radio with application only (not application and hardware) it should save your tuning settings. But ALWAYS read them into tuner before you start this anyway.

As far as the 220 MHz radios goes, you can go into tuner and manually change the deviation setting, despite the fact that the codeplug is hard coded to 2.5 khz wide deviation. It also sounds like you could modify a VHF (136-178 MHz) 128ch file with the option to change deviation to accept the 220 Mhz bandplits, change model # and be in business that way.

Jay
d119

Post by d119 »

I think the issue may be with receiver limiting rather than transmit deviation with regard to adjusting the narrowband deviation to 5kHz. More goes on with narrowband than just in the transmitter.
Jay
Batboard $upporter

Post by Jay »

Indeed there is...But I have a handful of them working just fine with wideband signals.
CTAMontrose
was grem467

Post by CTAMontrose »

Interesting!
Last edited by CTAMontrose on Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

Yes, the receiver clips when listening to the Jetstar/Alinco crowd and their splatterbox deviation. When I get another radio to play with I'm going to try moving a VHF-Hi codeplug up, but I suspect the alignment tuning points will pose a problem.

Also, you have to write the application codeplug along with the hardware codeplug or the new bandsplits won't take, so no getting out of reloading the tuning values that way.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

EDIT: turns out this mod kills PL deviation. Don't do it. Just fix the upper bandsplit edge and you're ready to go.

Also, you don't need to do this to enter 20 kHz-stepped frequencies such as 223.76.
Okay, not a complete fix but still a step in the right direction. Also I'm pretty sure this voids Part 90 eligibility so to keep things legal don't put a radio in the commercial band after performing this mod on it.

Turns out the available channel bandwidths are stored in the same s-record line as the bandsplits, model number, and serial number. I have no idea how they are coded BUT you CAN copy the line from another radio's codeplug (like a VHF CDM1550) with the settings you want, then fix the bandsplits, model, and serial numbers and paste it in.

Use the codeplug for TANAPA PMUD2063B (for a CDM1550, HT1250s obviously use their own counterpart,) convert it to binary, and copy the data from offset 642 to 727. Then overwrite that same range in the 220 codeplug with the data you just copied. Go around and fix the model and serial numbers, bandsplits, and checksum, then convert back to s-record and proceed as previously outlined.

Now here's the caveat: the tuning softpots and frequencies are stored elsewhere in the codeplug. Since there is no alignment for 20 or 25khz squelch in a 220 codeplug (let alone TX deviation) the radio stays permanently unmuted if you set your channel bandwith to 20 or 25. However, you now have the availability to enter 20kHz-spaced frequencies so you can cover the entire 220 MHz amateur band.. with narrowband receive and deviation.
Last edited by motorola_otaku on Thu May 05, 2011 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
N6LAU
What radios do you own?: Talkabout-250 w/ P25 Phase 2

Post by N6LAU »

Just FYI this procedure worked just fine on lowering the band edge on an S split HT1250LS+. The offset locations of the band edges and base frequency were different than listed for the CDM1550LS above but were easy enough to find. Does anyone here know if the TANAPA changes the later a particular model was produced ie a CDM1250 R split made in 2005 compared to one built in 2010 or 2011?
Joe - N6LAU
RADIOMAN2002
What radios do you own?: More than I can count

Post by RADIOMAN2002 »

When dealing with Tanapa's I have found, and mind you I havn't modded s-records are that if you radio has an "A" Tanapa you must use an "A" file, if you have a B,C,or D, you have to use a B or C and D. There is a difference with the receiver between an A and B,C,D. There may be other issues, such as size of the flash rom. My experiments have been with upgrading radios only, not what you are trying to do.
N6LAU

Post by N6LAU »

Okay, thanks. Has anyone made any headway in finding a way to program out of band by modding the CPS rather than doing an s-record dump? I have some new radios I'm considering doing this to but I'm concerned about possible warranty voidance issues that s-record dumping may result in.

Joe
Joe - N6LAU
n2rld
What radios do you own?: Ht1250,MTX9250,XPR6550,MCS2000

Post by n2rld »

hi all everything worked out fine for me but I am having problems with step:10 converting back to a srecord? maybe I am typing the command wrong ... i really don't know what i am doing wrong I type bin2srec 220a.bin 220aa.0 and I get an error input file 220aa.0 not found anyone know what i am doing wrong

Karl N2RLD
Karl N2RLD
N6LAU

Post by N6LAU »

You must type in the syntax exactly which for you should be bin2srec 220a.bin > 220aa.0 . Looks like you were missing the > .
Joe - N6LAU
n2rld
What radios do you own?: Ht1250,MTX9250,XPR6550,MCS2000

Post by n2rld »

Got it Joe Thanks, I am really good at working with Hex Editer but this is the first time working with SRECORDS

thanks again ...

Karl N2RLD
Karl N2RLD
RADIOMAN2002

Post by RADIOMAN2002 »

As far as warranty voidance issue, I would just reprogram the radio (if it will still accept a codeplug) to the factory original one, before sending it to Depot. I had a few that bricked during my upgrades, and they just took it as a failure and replaced the board.
Something that should be put into the post is that my check sum was NOT 90. I presume that's because it is a different file. I am modding a R HT-1250 file
Another minor issue with srec2bin was that it was driving me crazy. I kept getting a no output file error until I remove the >.

OK about 2 hours later, the check sum area isn't the same for my code plug as the 220mhz one. I figured it out, and many thanks to all that went to the trouble of fiquring all this out.
Now I have to redo the 2 radios I modded this week, but this is a much better way.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

RADIOMAN2002 wrote:Something that should be put into the post is that my check sum was NOT 90.
Interesting. Which TANAPA # s-record are you using and what was the checksum it gave you? Every single one I have tried gave me a checksum-8 decimal value of 90 on the offset range 642-727.

If I was getting a checksum other than 90 I would double-check that I had the correct range selected.. I made the mistake of missing a byte on the upper or lower end and got a "EEPROM CS ERROR" a couple of times.
RADIOMAN2002

Post by RADIOMAN2002 »

I stand corrected, the starting point location for the information in the code plugs I was using to be modified is different, hence the area for the check sum is different not the check sum. I found it very useful to enter in the search the string 808052, since that appears at least in the 3 different code plugs I modified to be the same starting point.
It took about 1 hour to modify my first code plug, I have got it down to about 15 min now that I know what I am looking for. The biggest PITA is removing all those extra hex bits. Now I am going to try and take an EU version code plug, if it is the same structure and format, and try and make a Type II trunking code plug for a CDM and HT.
S_Holmes
New User
What radios do you own?: Too many to list

Post by S_Holmes »

Now does the TANAPA change with firmware? The HT1250 I bought a while ago had the original firmware version 01.xx.xx I don't remember the rest of the numbers since I had the firmware upgraded to version 03.01.03 a while ago and the TANAPA number on the sticker is PMUE1407A. And I'm using kid 03.04.00. I have a R split that I'd like to move up a little bit if I can. I can't find my TANAPA number in the upgrade kit
Scott Holmes
KC2OBW
Jay
Batboard $upporter

Post by Jay »

My notes say that TANAPA belongs to a Pro7150 (latin american EX600), so not sure what you have on your hands there. The suffix is important to match up (A/B, etc).
fixanythingman72

Post by fixanythingman72 »

I am having trouble with step 4. links to the original directions are down. How do I "run srec2bin on my code plug file. when I click srec2bin in win xp a command prompt window pops up and then disappears. help would be most appreciated
N6LAU

Post by N6LAU »

Open the command prompt (I believe the shortcut to it is in the System 32 folder) and then manually navigate to where you have the srec2bin.exe file. This shouldn't be too hard assuming you have some basic knowledge in DOS. Once you've reached to correct folder type in srec2bin from the command prompt and a bunch of info will pop up including some instructions on what syntax to use to properly do the conversion. INFILE is the file you want to convert and OUTFILE will be the converted file produced from this procedure. Follow those instructions and you should be good to go.

Joe
Joe - N6LAU
fixanythingman72

Post by fixanythingman72 »

Thanks! My problem was that I had not changed directories into the directory with the files. Even though I was able to run srec2bin I was not able to generate an out put file. I am still missing the algorithm to calculate the band limits since the links to the original directions are broken. Thanks!
Norman
New User

Post by Norman »

Joe -- in your post from last year, you noted "the offset locations of the band edges and base frequency were different [for the HT1250] than listed for the CDM1550LS". I also just discovered this difference. I kept checksuming to 62 so I knew something was wrong.

Can you please let me know the correct band edge offsets for the HT1250? And armed with the correct bits, did you still checksum to 90 or something else?

And on a related note, do you think my 9DP (LS+) would take a 9AA (conventional) S-record?

Oh -- and BTW, I'm doing this on a 450-520, not 220, but I don't think that would matter.

Thanks,

Norman
N6LAU

Post by N6LAU »

Norman wrote:Joe -- in your post from last year, you noted "the offset locations of the band edges and base frequency were different [for the HT1250] than listed for the CDM1550LS". I also just discovered this difference. I kept checksuming to 62 so I knew something was wrong.

Can you please let me know the correct band edge offsets for the HT1250? And armed with the correct bits, did you still checksum to 90 or something else?

And on a related note, do you think my 9DP (LS+) would take a 9AA (conventional) S-record?

Oh -- and BTW, I'm doing this on a 450-520, not 220, but I don't think that would matter.

Thanks,

Norman
Sure thing Norman. Let me check my notes and I will post the offset locations shortly. As far as your other question about dumping a conventional S-rec into the LS+, I would imagine it would work so long as there isn't a conflict in controller memory capacity between the conventional and LS+ radios. IMO it would definitely be worth a try and if things go south you could always reload the correct S-rec into it.

Joe
Joe - N6LAU
N6LAU

Post by N6LAU »

Okay, the offsets for the various flavors of HT1250s that I've done are as follows:

The s-record starts at offset 282 and ends at offset 2D7. This is where you should get the checksum of 90.
Baseband offset is 2AD.
Lower edge offset is 2AF.
Upper edge offset is 2B1.

IIRC these are the same offsets for the HT1550XLS as well.
Joe - N6LAU
RADIOMAN2002

Post by RADIOMAN2002 »

Any Pro series radio will take any codeplug, LS or LS+ or Conventional etc, as long as the suffix at the end is the same.( I even took a LA codelplug and made my radio a 255 mode with LTR) "A" must go with "A", and "B,C,D" I have found generally will work with any "B,C,D". Putting a "B,C,D" into an "A" may give you a EE hardware error, easily repaired by putting the original Tanapa back.
EU radios are different, I havn't had any success in taking an EU Type II trunked codeplug and getting it to work in a USA radio. Once you have successfully updated your radio to the flavor you want you should update the firmware, some old firmwares would do funny things when converted one way or another.
One way to definitly brick a radio is by accidently putting a 4 line codeplug(HT-1550) into a non 4 line radio.
Norman
New User

Post by Norman »

Thanks Joe and Radioman. Good info! Would be great if your guys' info could get added to the model-specific info for the HT1250 ---> http://www.batlabs.com/htpro.html

I'll feel more confident next time I get another WARIS project.

Norman
bridgewatertek
New User

Post by bridgewatertek »

Does this work for a low band into 6 meter?
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

Hypothetically yes. There may be issues with the VCO going out of lock or RX sensitivity rolling off. I'm tempted to pick up a HT750 and give it a shot.
Jay
Batboard $upporter

Post by Jay »

My HT750 works fine up at 52.525 Mhz and below, I've not tested it above this freq. Mobile works OK too.

Jay
Mikey
What radios do you own?: CDM1550 LS+, HT1250, MCS2000

Post by Mikey »

Ok, i'm kinda new to this so here is my question. Can i take a Codeplug from a 403-470 Mhz CDM750 and using the "unofficial" US Waris Lab Upgrade Kit, Blast it into a 450-512Mhz CDM750 Radio and make it work???

I'm wanting to bring a 450-512 Mhz down into the 440 Ham Band

Thanks

Mike
bridgewatertek
New User

Post by bridgewatertek »

Could someone post the frequency changes for 50- 54mhz. I'm kinda lost since i am trying on a lowband to go to 6 meter. Thanks in advance
Jay
Batboard $upporter

Post by Jay »

Well, you could do what you are describing, all though it is not ideal.

If you write application only, then it will leave the tuning values intact. As long as you don't stretch it too far you will likely be OK.

Jay

Mikey wrote:Ok, i'm kinda new to this so here is my question. Can i take a Codeplug from a 403-470 Mhz CDM750 and using the "unofficial" US Waris Lab Upgrade Kit, Blast it into a 450-512Mhz CDM750 Radio and make it work???

I'm wanting to bring a 450-512 Mhz down into the 440 Ham Band

Thanks

Mike
ny1a
What radios do you own?: XPR8300, XPR7550e, SL7550

Post by ny1a »

Is anybody willing to convert an HT1250LS+ to the 220 ham band for me if I ship it to them? I am willing to pay. Please let me know how much.

Thanks.

David, NY1A
David, NY1A
n3eg
What radios do you own?: HT1550 v/u, XTS2500-3 FPP, etc

Post by n3eg »

So, what is the latest and best mod for 222-225 with 5k deviation, 20k steps, and squelch? HT1250LS+ Tanapa PMUD1761B here.
DarkHelmet
New User

Post by DarkHelmet »

One of the Achilles heal of this mod is it's a software only mod. Even when you get the 25 KHz wide channels working, its still a narrow band IF. This causes unacceptable distortion (at least to me) on wide band.

I've changed out some filters and found it works much nice on the ham bands. You need to adjust the squelch for 25khz channels after doing this. The tuner software (2.00.03) will do this, the new software will not adjust anything other than 12.5 khz. Use the old software.

Their are 3 filters in the radio, 1 at 44.85 MHz 1st IF and 2 at 455khz, 2nd IF.

Code: Select all

220 front end     44.85MHz       FL3201    MXF45         9180022M10   4-pole +-7.5khz bandwidth
IF2 First filter  455KHz         FL3204    CFUCJ455F     9180468V04   4-pole 12khz                
IF2 filter narrow band filter    FL3206    CFWC455G      9180469V03   6-pole 9khz
The UHF handhelds use the same arrangement, but with a wider middle filter (1st @455). In wideband they switch only the 2nd 2nd IF filter to a narrow band filter.

uhf front end     44.85MHz       FL301    MXF45          9180022M11  
IF2 First filter  455KHz         FL302    CFUCJ455E      9180468V05   4-pole                
IF2 filter wide band filter      FL303    CFWC455E       9180469V05   6-pole
IF2 filter narrow band filter    FL304    CFWC455G       9180469V03   6-pole
The 1st IF is under the shield, and very hard to remove. I've not messed with it, as it appears to be the same part in the UHF

Based on the following codes for muratta filters

Muratta filters 
E is +- 7.5 (15)
F is +-6 (12)
G is +- 4.5 (9)
The 220 Filters are 12 and 9 Khz wide at the 2nd IF. Switching them to the E filters of the UHF HT1250 is rather easy, as they are just on the underside of the board, not under a shield. An under board heater with a hot air station makes this rather easy.

I've found the sensitivity to be a bit better and no squelch clipping on 3.2kc tone at 7khz of deviation (Most ham rigs on 220 have WIDE deviation!).
Escomm hooked me up with the parts for about $20.

Please let me know if you do this and how the results come out for you.
DarkHelmet
New User

Post by DarkHelmet »

So I've been doing some work on on this and found there is an issue with the tuner software.

I've used the following srecord to program the radio (after modifying the serial). This is a 160 Channel 216-225 MHz s-record that some one made (not me).

The tuner software will open the saved tuner values and push them into the radio just fine. However when you read the radio and go to adjust the squelch settings it will only show one frequency and the rest are "UNSUPPORTED". I'm not sure why this is.

If you load the original .sfp file and then go to adjust the radio it will show all the tuning points. The issue here is it does appear the tuning pots are still set, as if i set the 220.525 one all the way open, at 223.5 it will not be open.

The tx side stuff looks like it's working

I've tried this in 2.02 and 2.03 global tuner. Anyone have any ideas or seen this before?
DarkHelmet
New User

Post by DarkHelmet »

DarkHelmet wrote:So I've been doing some work on on this and found there is an issue with the tuner software.

I've used the following srecord to program the radio (after modifying the serial). This is a 160 Channel 216-225 MHz s-record that some one made (not me).

The tuner software will open the saved tuner values and push them into the radio just fine. However when you read the radio and go to adjust the squelch settings it will only show one frequency and the rest are "UNSUPPORTED". I'm not sure why this is.
Did some more messing tonight.

I built a new code plug based on the default PMUD1760B code plug from the upgrade kit.

Bonus, this code plug is now 255 personalities, and has a blank serial number.

This seams to fix the problem with converting these to the ham band.
DarkHelmet
New User

Post by DarkHelmet »

DarkHelmet wrote:
Did some more messing tonight.

I built a new code plug based on the default PMUD1760B code plug from the upgrade kit.

Bonus, this code plug is now 255 personalities, and has a blank serial number.

This seams to fix the problem with converting these to the ham band.
Ok, so this doesn't work 100%. The DTMF pad will not work now. I've tried all the default codeplugs in the waris 3.08 kit and none of the matching PMUD1760a, PMUD1760b, PMUD1761a, PMUD1761b files allow the DTMF pad to work. I'm not sure why this is, perhaps it's in error. maybe it's that the codeplugs are designed for the different firmware than what's on the radio (I have R05.09.06 on the radio)?

In the 2.08 kit the PMUD1761a does work and I can create a codeplug that works in the radio for the ham band. The only problem is when editing the codeplug to allow 0x12 (18d) personalities in the 0x2D8 to 0x2E9 (checksum 5A) range at 0x2E2 is the number of personalities in hex. If I change is in any of the 3.08 codeplugs I'm good, but in the 2.08 codeplugs it gives CS error for anything other than 0x12.

I'm wondering if there is another place the number of personalities for the 2.08 version of the codeplug needs to be changed.
DarkHelmet
New User

Post by DarkHelmet »

DarkHelmet wrote: In the 2.08 kit the PMUD1761a does work and I can create a codeplug that works in the radio for the ham band. The only problem is when editing the codeplug to allow 0x12 (18d) personalities in the 0x2D8 to 0x2E9 (checksum 5A) range at 0x2E2 is the number of personalities in hex. If I change is in any of the 3.08 codeplugs I'm good, but in the 2.08 codeplugs it gives CS error for anything other than 0x12.

I'm wondering if there is another place the number of personalities for the 2.08 version of the codeplug needs to be changed.
It was simple enough, I found the 2.08 codeplug uses a different size area for storing the checksum of the personalities fields.

0x2D8 to 0x2E4 - group, needs to be 5A checksum, adjust 0x2E4 to make it.

0x2E2 - Number of personalities is at in hex.    
*128 - 0x80
*160 - 0xA0
*255 - 0xFF

Once I did this I was able make it work on the firmware version we have on our radios (R05.09.06). I suspect the issue is the firmware being older for the other codeplug, but I'm not going to attempt a firmware upgrade just yet, as everything seams to work fine.

Here's the working codeplug in s19 format. This works with my radios running R05.09.06, TANAPA PMUD1760B with the full keypad case. This supports 12.5/20/25 KHz channels, and 255 personalities. You are able to adjust the squelch properly, DTMF works and so does the test mode. It's got a blank serial number so you can set your own in the stock tuner.

The only limit I see is you may only put 16 channels in a zone. I'm not sure if this is a codeplug limit or something in the firmware.

A basic procedure to do the mod using this codeplug is below:
  1. backup up your tuning in the global tuner program!
  2. backup your codeplug!
  3. open the waris codeplug tool and load the new file.
  4. push the file (both application and the other check box) to the radio.
  5. set the country to USA in the codeplug tool.
  6. open up the tuner and read the radio.
  7. set the serial number, capitalization matters!
  8. close tuner
  9. open tuner and load your backup file.
  10. push the backup into the radio.
  11. close tuner and open it again.
  12. read the radio in tuner. try setting squelch, you should see a bunch of different frequencies now vs just one. If you do come back and align it later
  13. close tuner
  14. open the CPS.
  15. push your backup into it. (click ok on the upgrade dialog box that pops up)
  16. now read the radio back into CPS to get the codeplug merge, save this as your new code plug.
  17. check the number of personalities you can add.
Try messing with the squelch in tuner. I've found a good value is -128 dBm for hams. My radio is -124 dBm for 12db SINAD so this is about 6 dB SINAD at -128, very noisy but understandable. Auto tune makes this really easy. You can always put a button to set the squelch to tight.

Return to “Radio Programming”