Unresponsive Button HT1250

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

pairughdocks
New User

Unresponsive Button HT1250

Post by pairughdocks »

I have an HT1250 VHF radio that was given to me to take a look at because a button is not reacting at all. It is the "select" button if you will right above the P3 arrow. I checked in CPS and dropped in my default codeplug I made so the radio does take the programming.

I opened the radio up and all of the ribbon cables are clean and connected. Typically, when a button is unassigned it makes that annoying "beep" sound (like when you have an Rx only personality and try to Tx). This button does nothing and makes no noise.

What else can I do to troubleshoot this issue? My local Moto shop quoted me a base estimate of $150-$300 saying it would probably have to be sent to the depot, and if at all possible I am trying to avoid having that happen.

Thanks for any and all input!
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Re: Unresponsive Button HT1250

Post by thebigphish »

Find the traces for that button on the PCB, close them temporarily and see if the radio interprets that as a button press....if you get a beep, then you have a bad button trace on the board.
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
K8TEK
"Dark Chocolate"
What radios do you own?: Dynatac

Post by K8TEK »

Replace the keyboard, part number 0104018J54.

List is $25.
K8TEK::Tim
pairughdocks
New User

Post by pairughdocks »

Thanks for the quick replies guys! thebigpush, I am a little unsure of what you mean by find the "traces" - are you referring to the "silver" lines that the solder goes to on the PCB? How would I go about testing them?

K8TEK, I can definitely try that as well. Would you reccomend cleaning the ends of the ribbon cable with pure isopropyl? I do not want to cause further damage to the radio.

Thanks again!
RADIOMAN2002
What radios do you own?: More than I can count

Post by RADIOMAN2002 »

Have had major problem with those keypad boards after the radio has been dropped. We just replace the board.
CircleBat

Post by CircleBat »

must be the earlier version keypads.. had many problems with the opamp and traces.. been replaced with a newer keypad board and pay the $25.00 for a new board!! less headaches

CircleBat

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”