"Checking Interest"or"Considering" on Buy/Trade/Sell Forum?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

icom98
What radios do you own?: Just About Everything

"Checking Interest"or"Considering" on Buy/Trade/Sell Forum?

Post by icom98 »

Fellow Forum Members,

I get a real kick out of these listing when I see them in the Buy/Trade/Sell discussion section.
Is this code for "I might sell it if you really really need it and will pay top dollar"?
Or is it like a bragging thing that you have something that somebody else doesn't?
Sorry, but I just don't completly understand the meaning behind these posts.

Maybe I'm just a little cranky today so how about if we want to sell something, advertise it for sale.
If trades are prefered or possible, thats great, say so.
If you have something up for auction and what to expand visability (like we don't all look at Ebay) I see no problem.
If you're looking to buy something, this board has been great for me. I've done all of the following and I never had to reconsider or cared if anybody had an interest with it.

Now If you want to know what I'm considering I'll give you an idea even though it has nothing to do with Batlabs.

Buying a new dishwasher
Rebuilding the engine for my 69 GTO
Becoming a millionare before I die
Taking a shower today
Getting lucky on Valentine's day

Just checking interest, and if you can consider helping me with any or all of the following just let me know.

Consider having a nice day,
Larry :lol:
Someday We'll Look Back On This And It Will All Seem Funny.
From Rosilitia, Sung By Bruce Springsteen, CIRCA 1973
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Re: "Checking Interest"or"Considering" on Buy/Trade/Sell For

Post by RadioSouth »

I don't quite get the 'Checking Interest' either, if it's For sale please say so. FS FT FA would be nice.
JustinMoon205
What radios do you own?: APX7000, APX7500, GP280

Post by JustinMoon205 »

I agree with Larry! It is VERY annoying. Either you want to sell it, trade it, or both.....or you want to notify of an auction. Anything else is wasting time and space on the board. Say what you mean, and mean what you say.

Just my $0.02.

-J
Archbishop, Church of /\/\otorola.
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

icom98 wrote:Fellow Forum Members,

Hey Larry. Does your Goat have a "WS or YS" engine? LOL GARY N4KVE
icom98

Post by icom98 »

It's acually a WT. I'm considering and checking interest in a WS since a JUDGE! 4 goats and 2 are Judges.
If you have a "WS" are you considering to sell or trade it? Just checking interest!

Nice to see a Batlabber who not only knows radio, but Pontiacs also.
N4KVE wrote:
icom98 wrote:Fellow Forum Members,

Hey Larry. Does your Goat have a "WS or YS" engine? LOL GARY N4KVE
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

Years ago I had 3 Goats. 67, 68, & 69. All 3 were turbo 400's & YS motors. After that I was into Olds 442's. I do have a 50,000 mile 1970 Olds 455 & Turbo 400 combo waiting for an Olds body. Good luck with your restoration. GARY N4KVE
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

I would completely support a rule requiring explicit statement of intent, a set price (negotiable is fine, but none of this "make me an offer" nonsense) and pictures to be included with any initial for-sale post. Even Hamsexy is ahead of the curve on this one.
jnglmassiv
Batboard $upporter

Post by jnglmassiv »

I like the clear intent/name your price rule, too.
I can live without a pictures requirement but they are appreciated and recommended.

Also, I'd be all for banning 'WTS' (Want to Sell) *shudder*. It's either FS or no indicator with For Sale implied.
FT indicates a trade and WTB is an item wanted.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

motorola_otaku wrote:I would completely support a rule requiring explicit statement of intent, a set price (negotiable is fine, but none of this "make me an offer" nonsense) and pictures to be included with any initial for-sale post. Even Hamsexy is ahead of the curve on this one.
Seconding this.
kotaguchi
What radios do you own?: XTS5000

Post by kotaguchi »

escomm wrote:
motorola_otaku wrote:I would completely support a rule requiring explicit statement of intent, a set price (negotiable is fine, but none of this "make me an offer" nonsense) and pictures to be included with any initial for-sale post. Even Hamsexy is ahead of the curve on this one.
Seconding this.
I support this also.How about a Poll for "for/or against" ??
In Memory of those that serve.

Seal Team Six

Radios I currently own:

2-qty APX7000 UHF R2/700-800MHz M3
icom98

Post by icom98 »

I started this question and think a poll would be a get idea. Only thing is that I don't know if this board has the option to take polls or how to do it. If somebody knows how to set it up do it, or explain it to me, go for it!

Thank you for your consideration and continued interest in this thread,
Larry
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

kotaguchi wrote:
escomm wrote:
Seconding this.
I support this also.How about a Poll for "for/or against" ??
I'm all for this too, except some of us aren't able to post photo's for whatever reason. I have sold numerous radios here w/o photo's, & everyone has been happy. Sure, it's nice to see photo's of a radio for sale to gauge the condition, but we all know what the radios look like. If a seller can't post a photo, but has great feedback, his rating of the radio [8/10] should suffice. I would like to see sellers be more flexible with payment methods. While the seller has the right to insist on Paypal only, I refuse to use Paypal because of their anti-gun policies. Because of this, I have not been able to make several purchases here. But in my experience, buying a radio here from a reputable seller, is much preferred to that on line site. GARY N4KVE
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

If you guys want to keep discussing the best way to handle this - we are happy to listen and make some changes/improvements. I would appreciate it if a lot of random Poll's didn't really pop up all over the forum though.

Here's what I'm willing to entertain (I say "I" as I haven't discussed with the rest of the team but don't think they would object):

1) Discuss amongst the group here in this thread (although the beginning seems a bit off topic... shrug)
2) Mod/Admin team will take the suggestions outlined here and discuss how to implement. Some suggestions will make the cut, others may not.
3) Post a poll to implement them
4) Change the rules based on the outcome of the poll.

Seem reasonable? Obviously the above process is not going to happen overnight but hopefully over the next month or so we can get things on track to what you guys want.

Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Post by MT2000 man »

THIS.
DPL

Post by DPL »

I support the "clear intent" policy (FS, FT, or WTB). I think that requiring prices is a good idea, too. I could go either way on the pictures part. I have purchased several things on here without seeing pictures. I guess I tend to trust people here more than on greedBay.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

N4KVE wrote:..except some of us aren't able to post photo's for whatever reason.
I could write up a tutorial. Using free image hosts and hotlinking images on a forum are pretty simple once you get the hang of it.

Additionally the board staff could install the embedded Imageshack uploader.
icom98

Post by icom98 »

Alex,

I believe in the K.I.S.S. (Keep it Simple Stupid) method.
My suggestion in the listing rules allowing should be: FS, WTB, FA, or Trade. is acceptable.
A price should be posted and a seller should be able to be negotable and offers should be handled by PM.
I see no problem with a trade or partial trade situation.

Batlabs is a great site and I thank you and all the others who sponsor and upkeep the site in the manner you do.
Thanks,
Larry

alex wrote:If you guys want to keep discussing the best way to handle this - we are happy to listen and make some changes/improvements. I would appreciate it if a lot of random Poll's didn't really pop up all over the forum though.

Here's what I'm willing to entertain (I say "I" as I haven't discussed with the rest of the team but don't think they would object):

1) Discuss amongst the group here in this thread (although the beginning seems a bit off topic... shrug)
2) Mod/Admin team will take the suggestions outlined here and discuss how to implement. Some suggestions will make the cut, others may not.
3) Post a poll to implement them
4) Change the rules based on the outcome of the poll.

Seem reasonable? Obviously the above process is not going to happen overnight but hopefully over the next month or so we can get things on track to what you guys want.

Alex
W1HVN
What radios do you own?: MX300 w/DVP

Post by W1HVN »

I just recently sent in an observation to Admin about just this, a visible increase in "cheezy and sleezy" type ads with snazzy lingo and ALOT of make me an offer nonsense and no asking value.

As for the checking interest, I believe it to be one of these "well everything is for sale for the right price" type deals. That being the case. I might put a real estate for sale sign on the front lawn with a sign hanging below it where it usually says "for sale", but instead reading "checking interest" I'm sure the neighbors would love that.

Thanks Alex for the above.
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

I think there should be a dollar amount for pictures. Say $200? Everyone knows what a VHF antenna looks like and dont need to post a picture. On the other hand if your selling a loaded APX I want to see pictures that match the flashcode on the radio your listing if im forking over big $$'s
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

...duplicate post..Nothing to see here
Last edited by FireCpt809 on Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

The fact is that we already have FSWT guidelines that have worked well for a long, long time. Getting people to read those guidelines would be the way to make things work better. The number of "Checking Interest" posts is pretty small, and anyone who doesn't like to read them can simply not open them up. I think that this thread is a matter of trying to fix something that already works fine.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
MikeOxlong

Post by MikeOxlong »

Another vote for no more Checking Interest threads.

If you want to know what your radio might sell for, search the Classifieds here, Radioreference and Ebay.

If you feel it's worth selling, than post your ad with a price.

Don't be lazy.
KE7JFF
What radios do you own?: MX300 lunchbox

Post by KE7JFF »

I think there is some legitimate use of Checking interesting/Considering type of posts in the BTS forum, but the problem is the posts sound a bit sketchy; perhaps maybe there should just be guidelines for these type of posts?
Mountain Wave Search & Rescue http://www.mwave.org
Support Search & Rescue: Get Lost!
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

So can we get this poll going?
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Hey guys -

Look for some general changes coming to the FSWT forum rules over the next week or so. The team has been discussing them and will be making a posting shortly. This will likely include restricting people from posting checking interest/considering type posts.

I have had a pretty busy month with work thus far - but will make this a higher priority to try and get this together before 4/1.

-Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”