Screwed Up Big Time!!!!

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

w1rc
What radios do you own?: Plenty

Screwed Up Big Time!!!!

Post by w1rc »

This is somewhat embarassing..................but I screwed up.

I was trying to remove a MTS2000 portable from the case which was sticking badly and accidentallly tore much of the end off the ribbon cable that goes from the display pcb to the radio chassis in the process. This is a major bummer because the front cover has the LCD display (which worked perfectly) and the keypad. Looks like 7 or 8 of the lines are cut.

I neeed to know if the ribbon cable is replaceable. If not has anyone had any success repairing the broken lines by carefully scraping the film and soldering thin wires to bridge the cuts in the ribbon?
K8TEK
"Dark Chocolate"
What radios do you own?: Dynatac

Re: Screwed Up Big Time!!!!

Post by K8TEK »

I'm sure you could find other nodes to solder the display cables to, but it would be much easier to just replace the display.

P/N 5105238U83
List $124.95
K8TEK::Tim
w1rc
What radios do you own?: Plenty

Post by w1rc »

Naw, I'm an "Old School" amateur radio operator. We try to repair not replace.
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

Do not solder as the flex usually melts!

Best home brew approach is to back the flex across the break with heavy duty fabric backed tape, scrape the conductors clean then bridge the gaps with a conductive silver paint pen. This is a fragile solution and will not last if the flex is ... well flexed in any way. But it does work.

Another alternative it to give up on the flex and use runs of 30 AWG Tefzel insulated wire wrap wire soldered been the flex connector pins (you usually have to remove the SMT flex connectors). You'll need a stereo magnifier to do this and a vey very fine iron.

Equipment repaired in this way really should be permanently labeled so that nowone relies on it for safety related comms.
Motoboy
What radios do you own?: HT1250 I saved from the dump

Post by Motoboy »

Or you could replace the flex.

8405310W04 is the part number for the front cover / display flex, and lists for $25.20
8405333W03 is the number for the control flex, and lists for $30.
"I don't have a driver's license, either, and that never got me in trouble!" ~Customer
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Rebuilding kits of various types for the MTS2000 radios appear on eBay regularly. About a year ago I bought a new display and flex for about $60.00 there. Another approach might be a used-but-okay radio. For some reason the UHF units go begging while everyone seems to want the VHF units.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

Got an old HT1000/MTX no display case? Rob the flex from it.
Squad5
was mwb9122

Post by Squad5 »

I have a ht1000 case laying around. Cover shipping and its yours!

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”