Astro Saber III Private call

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Kevin212

Astro Saber III Private call

Post by Kevin212 »

I have an Astro Saber III 800mhz, 1 meg board, P25 Digital, smartzone package, 9600 ect..... I was curious about the private call option under the trunking menu. I have the newest version of CPS ordered from Motorola. The option for private call is showing disabled and is greyed out. I have owned several astro sabers in the past and the only major difference in this one is that is has the 9600 baud. All the others worked fine on my work, " smartnet system" and would call and page fine. Not sure if the 9600 makes a difference in the private call setting. I was hoping that maybe I have a CPS setting wrong by mistake. I didnt think that the private call was a flash option, but maybe it is. 6.21.01 is the host version of my current saber. Any ideas on why the option is not available in the CPS? Thanks for any help.
fireradio
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Various APX series

Re: Astro Saber III Private call

Post by fireradio »

I can tell you that it shouldn't be a flash option, and the firmware sounds new enough that it should be OK. Private call settings are under the individual trunking personalities in the CPS - is that where you're looking?

I don't have an Astro Saber or even an XTS3000 with a P25 flashcode, so I can only tell you that my XTS5000 codeplug gives me all the normal private call type options in addition to "Unit to Unit" when editing a P25 system personality... sorry that's not a whole lot of help, but good luck!
OSS
"Keeping public safety on the air..."
Batboard $upporter

Post by 515 »

I know the firmware that allows both 3600 and 9600 systems in the XTS3000 and Astro Saber had several features stripped out of it to make room for the 9600 code. I've heard MDC-1200 was one of the things that was stripped out, but it may be that Private Call was taken out as well.

That's why you can't upgrade an XTS3000 or Astro Saber that has the "9600 P25 Trunking" option to the latest host/DSP 7.xx.xx/8.xx.xx firmware.
Kevin212

Post by Kevin212 »

Thanks guys for the info. Like I said I have owned a few Astro Saber III's in the past and it wasnt even an issue. So I'm still scratching my head. I have wondered if it may be a issue with the latest version of the CPS. Honestly it would be a little bit of a pain to test that theory. Any other ideas, please let me know. I have checked under the trunking personality for the private call and still greyed out. I have two trunking systems in this radio. One is a smartnet and one is smartzone, both are still using analog talkgroups while they are in the process of switching to P25. I would not think that would matter, but just thought I'd throw it out there.
ajpritch

Post by ajpritch »

Have you checked under the Trunking system to make sure the Private call is set there first? I believe if it is not set there it will grey it out under the trunking personality
xmo

Post by xmo »

515: "I know the firmware that allows both 3600 and 9600 systems in the XTS3000 and Astro Saber had several features stripped out of it to make room for the 9600 code. ... it may be that Private Call was taken out ..."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is correct - no private call on 3600 systems in the 9600 Astro Saber / XTS3000 firmware
Kevin212

Post by Kevin212 »

Ok. Makes since. Thanks alot to all of you who helped.
MotoFAN
What radios do you own?: Approx. 50: Moto & Kenwood

Post by MotoFAN »

Is it true, that this Astro Saber (I mean AS with 9600 @ 800 MHz) requires some special version of CPS?
I am biggest fan of XTS2500 and ASTRO Digital Saber.
Batboard $upporter

Post by 515 »

MotoFAN wrote:Is it true, that this Astro Saber (I mean AS with 9600 @ 800 MHz) requires some special version of CPS?
No, regular CPS will work. The features that aren't supported (like MDC1200) are just grayed out, if I remember right.
MotoFAN
What radios do you own?: Approx. 50: Moto & Kenwood

Post by MotoFAN »

Ok. Thanks.
I am biggest fan of XTS2500 and ASTRO Digital Saber.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”