New APX 7500 Control Heads

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

wd9cms

New APX 7500 Control Heads

Post by wd9cms »

Looks like two new control heads available for the APX7500

http://www.motorola.com/web/Business/_I ... 20copy.jpg

http://www.motorola.com/web/Business/_I ... 20copy.jpg

They look great.....

Bill
Bill, WD9CMS
444.775 PL131.8/NAC293
927.900 PL131.9/NAC293
batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

Re: New APX 7500 Control Heads

Post by batdude »

HOLY BATSHIT

IS THAT A SPEAKER INTEGRATED INTO A HIGH TIER MOBILE?

must have been an earthquake in hell.

d
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
"You can do whatever you want, there are just consequences..."
IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.
caprice96
What radios do you own?: To many to list here.

Post by caprice96 »

^^like (both the original post and batdudes comment), maybe this means december 21st is the end of the world after all
JeffFireRadio

Post by JeffFireRadio »

Wow! Great job, Moto. Did you bring Mr. Galvin back into the company while I was sleeping? Looking very forward to this product line. Keep 'em coming.

Two thumbs up from Siskel and Ebert. Oops, sorry, one thumb.
The Pager Geek
What radios do you own?: Disney FRS

Post by The Pager Geek »

batdude wrote:HOLY BATSHIT

IS THAT A SPEAKER INTEGRATED INTO A HIGH TIER MOBILE?

must have been an earthquake in hell.

d
It's the O2... to replace the XTL1500, yet ruggedized.

tpg
Experienced Provider of Useless Information
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

XTS/XTL cancellation in 5...4....3....................
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
K8TEK
"Dark Chocolate"
What radios do you own?: Dynatac

Post by K8TEK »

alex wrote:XTS/XTL cancellation in 5...4....3....................
Good, the XTLs are garbage.
K8TEK::Tim
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

K8TEK wrote:

What are you basing your un biased comment on?

What radio do you believe is better?

Jim
K8TEK
"Dark Chocolate"
What radios do you own?: Dynatac

Post by K8TEK »

Jim202 wrote:
K8TEK wrote:

What are you basing your un biased comment on?

What radio do you believe is better?

Jim
The Astro Spectra Plus.

Only one programming cable, Never bricked one doing a firmware upgrade, don't have to sync control heads. The list goes on.
K8TEK::Tim
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

Sorry, but the green ruggedized head looks goofy to me. Would make a nice remote head option for fire truck pump panels though.

The black head with the full keypad, otoh, is 8)
Wonder if it'll support FPP?
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

K8TEK wrote:

The olny real issue that bugs me on the XTL radios is the dumb :o programmers took away what was a good feature using the mulit PL settings. Sure it is there on the XTL radios, but doesn't work like it use to. You could program a button on the head for multi Pl and have up to 16 tones to pick from on what ever channel you were on. That feature is long gone with the XTL.

Then the default squelch setting on the XTL radios is set way too high. So if you look long enough you can find where it is set in the XTL. Plus if you set up one of the control head buttons, you can adjust the squelch right from the control head if needed for the channel your on.

The XTL allows you to have up to 4 control heads on a radio. You don't have to have a special head for operation in the rear or use a special control cable.

But each to their own feelings.

Jim
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

motorola_otaku wrote:Sorry, but the green ruggedized head looks goofy to me. Would make a nice remote head option for fire truck pump panels though.

The black head with the full keypad, otoh, is 8)
Wonder if it'll support FPP?
FYI the O2 comes in black as well.
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
mikegilbert
What radios do you own?: All of them

Post by mikegilbert »

I can definitely imagine those O2 heads in plenty of Sheriff/Police marine units. Wonder if they'll be remote mountable though.
willbird287
What radios do you own?: Always looking for the best...

Post by willbird287 »

mikegilbert wrote:I can definitely imagine those O2 heads in plenty of Sheriff/Police marine units. Wonder if they'll be remote mountable though.
Straight from the updated control head comparison PDF:
" *Remote mount for O2 will not be available until 2013 "

--Will
rc50won
What radios do you own?: Don't ask my wife.

Post by rc50won »

Things are changing a little at /\/\.

My SL7550 TRBO programs with a $5 off the shelf micro USB cable and uses a standard BT90 cell phone battery (also $5 on Amazon). Just to mess it up a little, non Motorola micro USB chargers give you an on the screen error that they are not compatible. The Motorola charger is $15 though.

Marshall
dsheli

Post by dsheli »

K8TEK wrote:
Agreed! I cringe every time I see agencies buying a XTS/XTL, it's decade old legacy equipment.
WB4JGI
was whitstu

Post by WB4JGI »

Agreed! I cringe every time I see agencies buying a XTS/XTL, it's decade old legacy equipment.
I see the same thing here and can't wait until the Astro 25 line is ousted and the APX line comes in to take over. It seems Motorola is geared to kill off Astro 25 subscribers maybe this year. I can only hope though.
Stu
dsheli

Post by dsheli »

WB4JGI,

If I remember correct don't y'all have a P25 TDMA system in Chattanooga/North Georgia?
Dsheli
WB4JGI
was whitstu

Post by WB4JGI »

It is capable of Phase 2 but the license key hasn't been entered in the system yet. So we can't experiment with it right now. Hopefully that will change, sometime this year, once the license key is entered. I wanna test me out some Phase 2 with crypto.
Stu
willbird287

Post by willbird287 »

Getting back on topic here...

Just got word that the new O2 and O7 control heads won't be available until about June this year. I'm not sure why the O2 will require until 2013 to be remote capable, but I would guess there are redesigns or testing that needs to be down regarding the ruggedness of the current CHIB design.

--Will
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

dsheli wrote:
K8TEK wrote:

Guess you guys haven't got heavy into the APX series radios yet. The software is about the worst I have ever seen Motorola come out with. Time will tell how the techs like the radio itself. If history is anything like what Motorola has done to it's customers in the past, your in for the ride of your life. Upgrade after upgrade to get all the bugs out. They have figured out it is cheaper for the customer to debug a radio than spend engineering time doing it.

I still haven't seen Motorola fix a simple tone squelch problem on talk around in the analog mode. If you don't tone squelch the RX, you can't use a TX PL tone on simplex. Was a complaint on the XTL radios and the APX software is the same. In other words if you try setting the RX to carrier squelch, the software won't let you encode a PL on TX in the talk around mode. Hint hint, you should be setting the radio this way to use the "National Interoperability" frequencies. Guess Motorola is not much of a supporter of this type of radio use.

You might not think the XTL radios were so bad after about 6 months or so with the APX units. Only time will tell. The bookies are laying on the XTL as the better radio at this point.

Jim
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Any word on the pricing of the new O heads as of yet?

Jim, I loaded up a CP for my 7000, and it lets me enter TX, CSQ, RX Pl, and TX Pl, RX CSQ without a problem..so might be something else that is screwing with yours. CPS/FW 7.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
willbird287

Post by willbird287 »

Pj wrote:Any word on the pricing of the new O heads as of yet?
When I called for at least a part number for the new heads, they had no clue, "are you sure you don't mean the O5 head? I know there is an O5, O9 and O3 available". I had to reference their own literature which they then looked up and confirmed with me "does indeed show an O2 and O7 control head". After about 10 minutes of more digging all they could tell me is there is no part number yet and no price yet. They essentially don't "exist" (in the available to purchase sense) and won't exist until about June...

Maybe they're trying to hype up potential buyers looking to replace equipment for last minute narrow banding? We all know that that effort can stand to wait a few more months anyway - right? :lol:

--Will
d119

Post by d119 »

Pj wrote:Any word on the pricing of the new O heads as of yet?

Jim, I loaded up a CP for my 7000, and it lets me enter TX, CSQ, RX Pl, and TX Pl, RX CSQ without a problem..so might be something else that is screwing with yours. CPS/FW 7.
PJ,

I think he's referring to the mode the radio is put in when it's on a repeater mode and the Talkaround switch/button is actuated. That type of operation cannot be configured with a TX PL unless the RX side of it has one.

Seems to me you can enable "Direct Frequency Enable" or something in the CPS to allow this to work... It lets you put anything you want as the TX Frequency/PL. I could be wrong.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Ah yeah... I remember running into that with the XTS and/or XTL. Will have to look into that myself. Some things with the ASTRO line was nice to have... CPS and otherwise (after reprogramming two ASpectras the last couple of days...)
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

Anyone heard if Mother M will make an 03 that is ruggedized/waterproof?
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

FYI, all the O5 heads have been subbed over to PHCN4000A, which is the "new" APX O5. Black faceplate and slick looks. Oh yeah, the new part number is about $100 more than the old one as well.
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

Looks like the 07 w/ its integrated spkr will save room in the cockpit, especially if it can be remoted. Hopefully someone on the board will go for a test ride when it's available, and let us know how its sound quality compares to the HSN4031. Probably an unfair comparison, but the APX7000 sounds good for its spkrs size, so who knows? Now, if they could just get BOSE to design the speaker...

BTW, I assume the LEFT/RIGHT navigation buttons on the 07 are the big black bars at the far edges of the CH (as opposed to the 4-way nav buttons on the 02)?

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”