Black Comtelco Antenna Tuning

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jorenwendschuh
New User

Black Comtelco Antenna Tuning

Post by jorenwendschuh »

Wondering the proper way to *easily* remove the black antenna covering (almost like a teflon coating) when tuning a mobile Comtelco whip. Stuff does not seem to easily come off any way I've tried, making tuning it a long ordeal.
Jim202

Re: Black Comtelco Antenna Tuning

Post by Jim202 »

jorenwendschuh wrote:Wondering the proper way to *easily* remove the black antenna covering (almost like a teflon coating) when tuning a mobile Comtelco whip. Stuff does not seem to easily come off any way I've tried, making tuning it a long ordeal.

Why do you need to take it off? Most of the service people I know cut from the top down, not the bottom up.
Getting rid of the static ball makes it that much less prone to get caught in tree branches and garage doors.

Jim
jorenwendschuh
New User

Post by jorenwendschuh »

Interesting! It's just the way I've always done it. Figured they put the corona ball on the end for a reason - never gave it a second thought. The ball really isn't that useful? Can't say I've ever had it get caught.

Thanks!
mmckenna
What radios do you own?: AM/FM with 8 track.

Post by mmckenna »

I've always cut from the bottom up, preferring to keep the ball on top. I've had the sharp point at the end of a whip get jammed in a parking garage fixture and pulled the nmo mount out of the truck roof. Might be faster for the techs to do, but I wouldn't risk doing that to a customer. Yeah, shouldn't have been in a parking garage with a full size truck and a 5/8's VHF whip on the roof missing the ball.

Anyway, a file or a quick trip to the drill press with either a wire wheel or sanding drum will make quick work of it. Also deburrs the ends really nicely.
"The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from."
jorenwendschuh
New User

Post by jorenwendschuh »

Thanks! I'll give that a try.
MP 6.7
What radios do you own?: Spectra, Maxtracs, MT2k, GP300

Post by MP 6.7 »

I used a dremel with a wire wheel to take the black off a couple Larsen whips. The dremel is easy to take out to the vehicle and use while tuning. The paint came off easily...not sure how similar the Comtelco black is to Larsen's but it can't be too much different.
Dale
KE7CEU
Current radios
Mobiles: 3x D43 A7 Spectras, T83 A9 Spectra, 2x KLM and 2x KLN MCS2000's, D43 Maxtrac 32ch, D35 Maxtrac 6ch modded for 896MHz receive, M33 M1225 4ch, Lowband Maratrac on 6 meters
Portables: 2x VHF GP300, VHF P110, UHF P110, VHF A7 MT2000
Will

Post by Will »

The Comtelco black is a plating, not a paint.
MP 6.7
What radios do you own?: Spectra, Maxtracs, MT2k, GP300

Post by MP 6.7 »

Will wrote:The Comtelco black is a plating, not a paint.
Ok, dremel grinding wheel then!
Dale
KE7CEU
Current radios
Mobiles: 3x D43 A7 Spectras, T83 A9 Spectra, 2x KLM and 2x KLN MCS2000's, D43 Maxtrac 32ch, D35 Maxtrac 6ch modded for 896MHz receive, M33 M1225 4ch, Lowband Maratrac on 6 meters
Portables: 2x VHF GP300, VHF P110, UHF P110, VHF A7 MT2000
SlimBob

Post by SlimBob »

The ball can also have certain end-loading effects.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”