Minitor V Narrow Banding

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

magna131
New User

Minitor V Narrow Banding

Post by magna131 »

Hey All,

We've been advised that we should go ahead and program our pagers for the upcoming narrow banding to avoid getting interference from neighboring frequencies. To do this, I've simply unchecked the "Wide Band" checkbox under each A, B, C, and D under Function Switches...and I should be set, correct?

An issue I noticed, was on a handfull of pagers (haven't checked the whole lot of them that I've programmed), now when the pager is receiving a radio signal, there seems to be a "hum" over the top of the voice. Do you think it's going to be a bum pager, or maybe will this go away once our dispatch upgrades their radio equipment to be narrow band compliant.... Or, did I miss something altogether?

Thanks in advance!
Dorf411

Re: Minitor V Narrow Banding

Post by Dorf411 »

We just had a bunch at a fire department that was narrow banded and some of their pagers would squeal when the volume is above 1/2 and much more pronounced when above 2/3rd's volume. We are working with Motorola now as this may be covered under an unwritten fsb.
MOTO_LR

Post by MOTO_LR »

You should not narrowband your pagers prior to the paging transmitter being narrowbanded.

This results in audio problems and the possibility of the pager not decoding.

Once the paging transmitter is narrowbanded, your Minitor V's will work just fine in the wide mode until
you have a chance to change them to narrowband mode.

Bob
magna131
New User

Post by magna131 »

Dorf411 wrote:We just had a bunch at a fire department that was narrow banded and some of their pagers would squeal when the volume is above 1/2 and much more pronounced when above 2/3rd's volume. We are working with Motorola now as this may be covered under an unwritten fsb.
Excellent, keep me posted if you figure anything out. the pagers are decoding fine, none have failed us as of yet... TheFCC put out their bulletin to narrow band now, as new frequencies are being put into service that will begin interfering with pagers causing bleedover...so our entire county is having it done now.

if this audio problem will go away once the dispatch changes over, it's a non issue and I can handle the squeal...but if it's a lasting effect, I'd love to be able to fix it or replace the pagers if they're defective...

Thanks much!

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”