Remote Quantar RSS programming

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

MattSR

Remote Quantar RSS programming

Post by MattSR »

Hi All,

Does anyone know of a radio modem that will provide an RF link that I can use to remotely program a Quantar via the RSS port? The repeater is in a restricted site, and we try to keep access to a minimum so it would be very handy to be able to remotely use RSS on the repeater. There aren't any phone lines available in the repeater site so I am after some way of doing RS232 over RF.

Cheers,
Matt
Bill_G

Re: Remote Quantar RSS programming

Post by Bill_G »

I guess my question would be why does the radio need to be programmed so often? Or are you using RSS to monitor the station? Quantars can send alarms over the air, but there are third party products to send more specific information than beep beep beep when a site alarm occurs.
MattSR

Post by MattSR »

Hi Bill

Its not for programming so much as using the monitoring features in the RSS (and being able to adjust power would be handy too I guess)

Its a 70cm repeater that I'm setting up so *cheap* is the name of the game here :)
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Okay. There are a number of low speed, low power rf modems out there. The rss port usually runs at 56k if I recall correctly. So, lots of buffering will be required. It may auto-rate. You'll have to experiment. A Quantar will faithfully tx/rx 2400 and 4800 fsk. So, you could use the repeater itself to put some horsepower behind the modem link. The rss port appears on the backplane as well as the front. So, your install will be tidy.

I have linked plain old 2400 baud async modems over the air through Quantars before. I don't have my notes with me, but I had to put an inverter and an open collector xter in to pull PTT low enough. The telco side of the 4W modem went to the WB xmit input / rcvr output on the Quantar, and the serial port went to the logical device. There is a few hundred microsecond latency through the Quantar. I had to add time pads to the application so it waited the appropriate amount before retrying. Passed data between end points just fine.
d119

Post by d119 »

Bill_G wrote:Okay. There are a number of low speed, low power rf modems out there. The rss port usually runs at 56k if I recall correctly. So, lots of buffering will be required. It may auto-rate. You'll have to experiment. A Quantar will faithfully tx/rx 2400 and 4800 fsk. So, you could use the repeater itself to put some horsepower behind the modem link. The rss port appears on the backplane as well as the front. So, your install will be tidy.

I have linked plain old 2400 baud async modems over the air through Quantars before. I don't have my notes with me, but I had to put an inverter and an open collector xter in to pull PTT low enough. The telco side of the 4W modem went to the WB xmit input / rcvr output on the Quantar, and the serial port went to the logical device. There is a few hundred microsecond latency through the Quantar. I had to add time pads to the application so it waited the appropriate amount before retrying. Passed data between end points just fine.
IIRC, Quantar programming is normally at 9600 baud. This is also what is used to access the enterprise prompts on the controller.
MattSR

Post by MattSR »

Yep that looks right from what I can see when I connect to the Quantar.

OK so I need an RF modem that can handle 9600 async RS232. Does anyone know of anything cheap?
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Like I said, you can do 2400 from a standard modem through the Quantar.
Batboard $upporter

Post by 515 »

They're not really cheap, but they are secure, and worked great with the Quantar's RSS port:
http://www.digi.com/products/wireless-m ... d#overview

The Quantar's RSS port is 9600 bps, async.
MattSR

Post by MattSR »

Bill_G wrote:Like I said, you can do 2400 from a standard modem through the Quantar.
Hi Bill,

Unfortuntately the Quantar RSS forces 9600bps.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”