Sprint announces Nextel shutdown date: June 30, 2013

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

bezking
What radios do you own?: /\/\

Sprint announces Nextel shutdown date: June 30, 2013

Post by bezking »

http://money.cnn.com/2012/05/29/technol ... /index.htm
Sprint Nextel (S, Fortune 500) said Tuesday that it plans to shut down the Nextel network as early as June 30, 2013. Sprint has long talked about its intention to wind down Nextel, but this is the first time it has offered up a precise end date.
My personal favorite:
Virtually all of the the merger's value has now been written off.
The bandsplit is only a suggestion.

Jim1348

Sprint Announces Nextel Shutdown Date: June 30, 2013

Post by Jim1348 »

I guess it might be a good time to get some used Nextels pretty cheap and use them as walkie talkies on Direct Talk!
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Re: Sprint announces Nextel shutdown date: June 30, 2013

Post by FireCpt809 »

The only people I still see with Nextel's are the Landscapers. We had around 200 village wide at one time. Everyone had one. Fire admin, inspectors, specialty team leaders, and each rig. The Police were the same, Public works and Village supervisors, public works empolyees. Even the village officals.It was so many the public works sidelined their conventional UHF repeater and used nextel fleet calling. We had an agreement for a special rate because we leased space on our water towers for their sites. Now they fell out of grace and everyone has a nice pretty smart phone on verizon but the FD who have the Barrage v860 with the PTT that sucks. Pretty much everyone on my shift has everyone elses personal phone number stored and just calls them direct.

I used to have Mextel it was great at the time .. I lived in a big ass two story house and when the wife wanted me while I was in the basement playing with radios she could Direct connect to run her up something.
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

i wonder if this will mean a return of some good LTR system running TRBO and the like
K8TEK
"Dark Chocolate"
What radios do you own?: Dynatac

Post by K8TEK »

This sure makes rebanding a complete waste of time and money.
K8TEK::Tim
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

Im sure Sprint will do something with all that bandwith.
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Post by Josh »

FireCpt809 wrote:Im sure Sprint will do something with all that bandwith.
This is correct. Remember rebanding (which still hasn't fully completed even though it was supposed to be done by/around 2004?)

NexTel/Sprint gains continuous spectrum in the upper-end of the 800Mhz public safety, etc band. What goes great with continuous spectrum? CDMA systems, 4G... whatever. Their long term plan has clearly been to dump iDen and use the new continuous spectrum gained to advance their own network. Buying NexTel in the first place seemed foolish since the two company's system designs were totally different, and maybe the purchase was still incredibly stupid seeing as how in the end all they got from it was some bandwidth.
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

I just cancelled my Nextel service which I had since 2000. There used to be 75 people on our group. I was the last one. My only question is this. Sprint wants to use the 800 band for their CDMA service. But in reality, Nextel was a SMR service provider, & used the 850-870 band. They happened to offer "phone patch" services so their SMR PTT customers could make phone calls if necessary, but their bread & butter was PTT. Will Sprint whose prime service as a CDMA PCS cell phone provider be authorized to use the 850-870 band to expand their coverage? Has the FCC approved this? GARY N4KVE.
Victor Xray

Post by Victor Xray »

Already approved by the FCC.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspecul ... ens-grave/
The FCC approved the use of 800 MHz spectrum to provide advanced 3G and 4G services last week. This paves the way for Sprint to offer LTE services on the same spectrum that houses its iDEN network currently. Before the FCC voted to remove the restrictions on the 800 MHz band, the spectrum could be used only for operating 2G services.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Yep, and as I recall, one of the major conditions of the FCC originally granting FleetCall/Nextel the licenses was specifically that they could not be used for or converted to PCS. It's really not shocking that they've disregarded their own precedent, they've made it clear that their rules are only rules when they say they are, and those with the best lawyer or lobbyist will often get their way if the stick they swing is big enough.
K8TEK
"Dark Chocolate"
What radios do you own?: Dynatac

Post by K8TEK »

escomm wrote:Yep, and as I recall, one of the major conditions of the FCC originally granting FleetCall/Nextel the licenses was specifically that they could not be used for or converted to PCS. It's really not shocking that they've disregarded their own precedent, they've made it clear that their rules are only rules when they say they are, and those with the best lawyer or lobbyist will often get their way if the stick they swing is big enough.
You mean like the FCC issuing SDARS licenses to two separate companies, XM and Sirius and allowing them to illegally merge?
K8TEK::Tim
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

Consider the FCC for a moment...
They are neither a law making or reguatory agency, and even their rules are subject to question as to legality.
The FCC levies fines, but how?
They are not a law enforcement agency, nor are they a court, but they write rules as if law, enforce laws they are not entitled to enforce or regulate, and have no justice system power or authority to act as one, BUT THEY DO.
They are not empowered to levy fines, it is not in their field of authority, it is by usurpation that they do.
The FCC auctions spectrum it does not own, as the people are the true owners, just don't tell the FCC that fact.
The FCC was created to take power where none was graned by the declaration, the fed was imbued with limited and enumerated authority, not any more, it is now unlimited in breadth and scope.

So, with even a history of Nextel not signing paperwork, filing said papers/licenses in a timely manner, and the fact that an SMR suddenly became a cellular carrier overnight with the stroke of a pen
amazes me. Nextel had to offer PTT in order to 'act' as a cellular provider as being licensed as an SMR, there were no cell phones on SMR trunking bands, but Nextel $$ got the FCC to look the other way and gave them just what they wanted...misfiled paperwork and all.
It's okay, do what you want as long as you keep us fed, we'll focus on the little guys and terrorize them instead.
FCC: Schoolyard bully.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

K8TEK wrote:This sure makes rebanding a complete waste of time and money.
Not entirely.. would CDMA or 4G/LTE interleaved with narrowband FM voice be any better than interleaved Iden?
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

motorola_otaku wrote:
K8TEK wrote:This sure makes rebanding a complete waste of time and money.
Not entirely.. would CDMA or 4G/LTE interleaved with narrowband FM voice be any better than interleaved Iden?
Yeah, it did fix that problem.
ai4ui
was kf4pxz

Post by ai4ui »

Oh look, a significant portion of SMR has just been refarmed to cellular...

This was really nothing more than a spectrum grab by Sprint. I'm quite sure when the merged (bought) Nextel they never intended to keep operating ESMR or any real variant of PTT service. Sprint needed 800 MHz spectrum and there was none available. Now they have several MHz of contiguous spectrum in 800 MHz with a nationwide license, and have received authorization to do with it what they please.

Wonder who's going to get the rest?
Wyrd bið ful ãræd, Fate is inexorable...
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

that's why I always referred to the "Concensus Plan" as the SCAM plan, because in the end, that is what it was a Steely Dan ROYAL SCAM to grab 800MHz spectrum.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
Jim1348

Post by Jim1348 »

It wasn't so long ago that I was checking out a Motorola Titanium. Although I no longer use iDen, I thought this might be a good device to get used for off network Direct Talk. I suppose the folks on SouthernLINC might have a little demand for this, but they have their own i867. At first I thought they might be the same phone, but upon closer inspection it looks like the i867 has no physical keypad, but the Titanium does. The Titanium does specifically list MOTO TALK, but that is not listed for the i867!

http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers/MO ... ile-phones

http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers/MO ... ile-phones
N4KVE

Re: Sprint Announces Nextel Shutdown Date: June 30, 2013

Post by N4KVE »

Jim1348 wrote: I thought this might be a good device to get used for off network Direct Talk. The Titanium does specifically list MOTO TALK, but that is not listed for the i867!
Numerous times in the past I have seen where a Nextel phone will have Direct Talk, & a similar model made for Boost, which is the prepaid arm of Nextel will not have Direct Talk. However, the hardware is in the phone to do Direct Talk, it's just not activated. A quick unlock will then allow Direct Talk to work. Howard's Forums is a great place to find out which models will do this. GARY N4KVE
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

wonder whats gonna happen to all that bASE station equipment
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

KitN1MCC wrote:wonder whats gonna happen to all that bASE station equipment
I'm sure there's some 3rd world countries that still use Iden that would purchase the equipment. GARY N4KVE
wkr518

Post by wkr518 »

so no more Boost PTT if no more Nextel iDen? What will the drug dealers around here buy then?
nothing
Jim1348

Post by Jim1348 »

[quote="wkr518"].....What will the drug dealers around here buy then.....[/quote]

Tracfone.
KE7JFF
What radios do you own?: MX300 lunchbox

Post by KE7JFF »

I work security as my day job; like many, we use Nextel and actually, the other night picking up some overtime, instead of the normal Nextel was Sprint's Nextel Replacement thats mentioned in the Nextel shutdown website. Its a Kyrocera "DuraMax" phone, and the phone itself was awesome; its rugged and has a giant PTT button. Unfortuantly, I had no other person to try the PTT with and even then, there was a note about "You can't Direct Connect yet! Phone calls only!" so I guess its not turned on yet.

I know Nextel's PTT was awesome, but if the Sprint "Direct Connect" just works sligtly faster than a Verizon PTT phone, it might be bearable lol.
Mountain Wave Search & Rescue http://www.mwave.org
Support Search & Rescue: Get Lost!
Jim1348

Post by Jim1348 »

I wonder if they will ever offer Off Network Direct Talk on any of the post iDEN units?
resqguy911

Re: Sprint Announces Nextel Shutdown Date: June 30, 2013

Post by resqguy911 »

Jim1348 wrote:I wonder if they will ever offer Off Network Direct Talk on any of the post iDEN units?
So far at all the industry shows they say no dice. There's no money to be made in off network comms.
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
MRFLASHPORT

Post by MRFLASHPORT »

Sprint plans to use the freed-up spectrum from scrapping its "2G" Nextel network to launch a 4G-LTE network. It hopes former Nextel customers will begin to use Sprint's new "Direct Connect" technology, which enables push-to-talk capabilities on Sprint's network.

Though the company has already stopped selling Nextel phones for consumers, it will discontinue them across the board over the next few months.
MrFlashPort

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”