CDM1250 Will not Encode 2-Tone

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Wes

CDM1250 Will not Encode 2-Tone

Post by Wes »

All,

I have 2 CDM1250 radios I am setting up for 2-Tone encode. I am familiar with programming these radios and how to set up the Quick Call system, Call Alert settings, Call List, Assign buttons, everything associated with making this work. I have written the same codeplug to both radios.

The problem is one of the radios will work fine. The other one does nothing. I am using a button assigned to the Call Alert function instead of doing it through the menu. On the radio that will not encode, I tried re-assigning the Call Alert function as a long button press vs. short press and even moved the function to another button on the radio thinking that there was some kind of physical problem with the button. No matter what button I assign the Call Alert function to, it does nothing when pressed. No beep of any kind. All other functions work as normal.

I will have to look to make sure but I am thinking one radio is a 2000 model and the other is 2003. Also if i recall they have different firmware versions. I will look at them again and confirm this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Wes
Wes Hutchens
911 Telecommunicator/2-Way Sales & Service
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Re: CDM1250 Will not Encode 2-Tone

Post by HLA »

what's the model number of the radio you can't get to work
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
Wes

Post by Wes »

HLA wrote:what's the model number of the radio you can't get to work
Both radios have the same model number: AAM25KKD9AA2AN

Wes
Wes Hutchens
HLA

Post by HLA »

Ok then next question is firmware versions? the 1250's were always capable of encoding. So what happens when you try to clone the working one into the non working one?
HLA
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
Wes

Post by Wes »

I'll have to get the firmware version. As far as cloning goes, they both accept the same codeplug.
HLA

Post by HLA »

if they both take the same codeplug i'd be looking more at firmware, update both radios to the newest if you can
HLA
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

That CDM with the 2000 date may have the dreaded 1.0.x firmware which had all kinds of wackiness associated with it.
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
Wes

Post by Wes »

Update:

I have been acquiring the needed hardware and software to upgrade the firmware in the radio. I am now ready to proceed and upon reading the radio to save a codeplug before the upgrade I find that the current firmware is already R05.04.00.

Should this problem be occurring with firmware this current?
Wes Hutchens
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

If both radios can encode and decode 2-Tone, then I would look at your settings to ensure they match.
Are both tones identical for both radios?
Is your numbering system legitimate, like in QC-II, you have specific numbers associated to each tone.
IE....433.7 is 115 Etc...
All things being equal, there has to be a discrepany located somewhere in your configuration if it is not working.
Wes

Post by Wes »

AEC,

The problem is that when you assign Call Alert Encode to any button on the radio, that button does nothing. The one radio works fine, the other does not. Both radios have been written with the same .cpg file. Ive tried assigning the Call Alert function to different buttons on the radio and that makes no difference. Today I was going to do a firmware upgrade but after installing the upgrade kit on my PC, I was unsuccessful because the program kept crashing. See pic:

I installed this upgrade software on 2 different pc's. One was running XP and the other running 98 and both yielded the same results. The software opens fine and as soon as you click the Program button the error pops up and the software shuts down.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Wes
Wes Hutchens
HLA

Post by HLA »

you have something else running that the upgrade tool does not like. All of the runtime files needed for that program are in the install. Did you get a pop up telling you that what you have is newer than the one being installed? but 5.04 can definately encode and decode, I don't know that 5.10 will gain you anything but it's always worth a try. The 5.10 tool will definately run on xp
HLA
Wes

Post by Wes »

No popups.......

After seeing what firmware is in the radio, I am not sure a firmware upgrade will do me any good on this problem unless what is in there now has a corrupt bit somewhere causing this exact problem. I think if it was corrupt it would be having other issues though.......
Wes Hutchens

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”