What Is Your Prediction For The Post Narrow-Banding Time?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Re: What Is Your Prediction For The Post Narrow-Banding Time

Post by FireCpt809 »

kb4mdz wrote:And how do they plan on paying for those cars being swapped out if the FCC comes and audits them for presence of non-NB equipment, and concludes by it that they've been operating WB, and starts writing NAL's?? And I wouldn't bet a nickel that the FCC wouldn't stand around and WATCH them operating WB, before writing those NAL's.

This has been coming for over 10 years. What's their problem with doing a little planning?

FireCpt809 wrote:I know Im going to be swamped the next month... Then again I know of about 5-6 of my departments that have old Maxtracs, spectras and GM300's that dont plan on replacing the radios til the cars go out for changeover... Sometime next year...I finally got a department to dump their Syntor X's but they were UHF Tband and now dont need to be narrowbanded...
Honestly its not my concern. I have no control over what they do. I only install what they buy. The dont bring it in to be swapped I am not going to hunt them down. I can tell them, ask them, remind them til the cows come home....
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

Unfortunately, this is the case with modern business - it's all based on bullshitting. Not "lying" - a lier knows they are lying and cares about the lie. A bullshitter doesn't care about what they are saying - maybe it's a lie, maybe it's the truth, who cares, it's what I you to hear at this time. Businesses ******** themselves that "this thing we *should* be worried about doesn't matter right now, so we won't worry about it right now. We won't budget any money for it right now, because that would mean some inconvenience for us. It's not like the future is right now, is it?"
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
wkr518

Post by wkr518 »

I'd like to know if the FCC has hired more folks on the Enforcement side of things to go out and find and monitor non compliant licensees after the narrow band mandate has passed. Good way to generate revenue for Feds and create a few jobs at least.Maybe throw an IFR in my little car and get paid.:)
nothing
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

wkr518 wrote:I'd like to know if the FCC has hired more folks on the Enforcement side of things to go out and find and monitor non compliant licensees after the narrow band mandate has passed. Good way to generate revenue for Feds and create a few jobs at least.Maybe throw an IFR in my little car and get paid.:)
Well I can assure you they haven't hired additional folks in the licensing bureau.... new applications taking 3-4 months to process....
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

My job has been replacing radios with NB capable with each new vehicle that comes into the fleet over the last 7 or 8 years. We went NB Spetember 1st and the whole process took me 2 days to go through and reprogram the nearly 80 radios we have. No panic, no fuss, and only about 3 people (buffs) noticed any change.

I don't see the big deal.. lack of planning on anyone else's part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

JAYMZ wrote: lack of planning on anyone else's part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
I just was spun into the wayback machine at 0200 with Sue Ridley on that one! :lol:
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
N4DES
was KS4VT
What radios do you own?: APX,XTS2500,XTL2500,XTL1500

Post by N4DES »

JAYMZ wrote:My job has been replacing radios with NB capable with each new vehicle that comes into the fleet over the last 7 or 8 years. We went NB Spetember 1st and the whole process took me 2 days to go through and reprogram the nearly 80 radios we have. No panic, no fuss, and only about 3 people (buffs) noticed any change.

I don't see the big deal.. lack of planning on anyone else's part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
We have been very proactive as well. Between completing the UHF EMS system early last year and our Water Utilities local plant communications, we are pretty much done.
I believe the only thing currently left hanging is the VHF MEDCOM that sits at our EOC that I don't think anyone uses and we have a Quantar on the shelf that will replace the MSF.

If this didn't coincide with 800 rebanding it wouldn't of been as bad, but we made it.
wkr518

Post by wkr518 »

escomm wrote:
wkr518 wrote:I'd like to know if the FCC has hired more folks on the Enforcement side of things to go out and find and monitor non compliant licensees after the narrow band mandate has passed. Good way to generate revenue for Feds and create a few jobs at least.Maybe throw an IFR in my little car and get paid.:)
Well I can assure you they haven't hired additional folks in the licensing bureau.... new applications taking 3-4 months to process....
Oh so very true! 5 months for a rural UHF FB2 for a school here,crazy long time. I remember 2 months for a VHF FB2 for NYC Criminal Courts in the Bronx in 2002.
nothing

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”