Securenet Carriers

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

SlimBob

Securenet Carriers

Post by SlimBob »

Seems like most Securenet radios that hit eBay have been stripped of the Securenet modules and/or carriers in the case of Spectra and other radios.

Do these people realize that the key is invalidated when the carrier is removed from the radio, or the hybrid removed from the carrier?

Or is this some sort of protective move to prevent others from using Securenet?
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Re: Securenet Carriers

Post by Wowbagger »

It's likely to avoid ITAR and BIS issues with an encryption device potentially being sold to The Evil Foreigner Terrorist Fnords!
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
williamray507

Post by williamray507 »

Could also be that they are selling them alone to make more money, I have seen several sellers do that.
K3AVN
WQRG512
SlimBob

Post by SlimBob »

I can see the ITAR angle, because someone shows up at the auction and buys the radio, perhaps not a citizen, and may not care where they ship it to as long as they get money for it.

I haven't seen many carriers on eBay either; the few I've recently seen have been listed from Norway.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

From my experience, the only .gov surplus radios you could count on to have the secure hardware removed were the analog Sabers and Spectras. Once Astro gear started hitting the market in cheap abundance it's like they quit caring, because with a few exceptions almost all of them have still had the secure hardware installed. In a few frightening cases they were still keyloaded.
AL7OC
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Thales, Tekk

Post by AL7OC »

Securenet isn't a narrowband compliant emission anyways... 20K0F1E
Pierre

AL7OC
SlimBob

Post by SlimBob »

Emissions is beside the point anyway.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”