CDM hw error

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

STEVE W

CDM hw error

Post by STEVE W »

I have a CDM1550ls+ in my truck and when it get real cold I get an eprom HW error and I have to pull the power cord to reset it. Acccording to the service manual the eprom should be replaced. My question is how hard is it to replace and what is needed to do it?
Thanks
Steve
Jim202

Re: CDM hw error

Post by Jim202 »

STEVE W wrote:I have a CDM1550ls+ in my truck and when it get real cold I get an eprom HW error and I have to pull the power cord to reset it. Acccording to the service manual the eprom should be replaced. My question is how hard is it to replace and what is needed to do it?
Thanks
Steve

All the components in the CDM are surface mount to the main board.

Jim
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

If you can obtain the EXACT replacement, you can do the work yourself by snipping each lead, removing the EPROM body, then desoldering each contact point and THEN...add a tiny drop of super glue to the bottom of the NEW Eprom, and THEN...solder the pins in place.
Visually check EVERY pad to make certain there are NO solder bridges and remove the excess flux as that can create crosstalk on printed circuit boards if there is enough of it, and besides, it makes the work look neater as well.
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

If you do this job, you will have to COMPLETELY reprogram AND realign the entire radio, as the service points will be GONE, as will ALL programmed options, and so on!

Do NOT take on this task if you have doubts!
A lighted magnifier and steady hands are a must.
One wrong move and you can easily wipe out a nearby component, or cut a trace.
A fine tipped cutter like a jeweler's snips should make clipping the leads easier, but if you do not have one, nor can locate one, you may have to grind one down thin enough to access the tiny pins, and make certain the cutters are sharp, that way you are not pulling on the chip and actually cutting them, placing less stress on the body of the Eprom, as well as keeping it from moving or your slipping and wiping out a trace or other component.

Careful work is necessary, take your time and never rush any job.
STEVE W

Post by STEVE W »

I do not have the nerve or the board experience to try it. I am open to offers of help. Please pm me for further discussions.
Thanks in advance

Steve
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

PM sent..... _ . _ . _ _ . _

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”