Motorola T1611A

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

southerngent
New User

Motorola T1611A

Post by southerngent »

Does anyone have any information on a vintage Motorola T1611A?..I would like to know if it is possible to hook a regular phone line to this device,and if so does anyone know the procedure?..Thanks in advance
Wade
Will

Re: Motorola T1611A

Post by Will »

That is a remote control unit and requires a DC telco pair, not a POTS line.
southerngent
New User

Post by southerngent »

Still in the dark......i'm taking it that it cannot be used for a telephone ...?
Al

Post by Al »

That's correct. The T1611, like Will said, is a DC remote. It requires a "dry" pair - just a pair of wires from the T1611 to the termination point at a base station. POTS has DC and some type of signalling on the pair so is not useable.
southerngent
New User

Post by southerngent »

I appreciate all the help on this..guess i'll trash it,just asking myself why someone would go to the trouble of installing a rotary phone dial on a unit that would not accept it.....strange!...would have made a great conversation piece.
Thanks to you and Will for all the information.Very friendly and informative group of people here.Have a great day my new friends.....GOD BLESS
southerngent
New User

Post by southerngent »

Would be interesting to find some kind of manual or paperwork on this unit to see what it was intended to be used for...oh well
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

southerngent wrote:,just asking myself why someone would go to the trouble of installing a rotary phone dial on a unit that would not accept it.....strange!...would have made a great conversation piece.
The T-1611 was used for the HEAR -Hospital Emergency Administration Radio - system that was an emergency radio link between hospitals. The dial was part of a selective signaling system to alert a particular hospital.

It did not in any way interface to a standard phone line. It was meant to control a remote radio base station over a dedicated circuit.

It is indeed a "conversation piece" but only for display.
Will

Post by Will »

k2hz wrote: The dial was part of a selective signaling system to alert a particular hospital.
The rotary dial on the remote sends a audio tone that is interrupted by the dial contacts to the remotely located transmitter.

And some of the HEAR radios were located in the elevator equipment room on top of the hospital... very dirty job servicing the station. And one was in the ceiling above the PBX with three feet of headroom...

The remote control console was usually in the Emergency room.
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

southerngent wrote:Would be interesting to find some kind of manual or paperwork on this unit to see what it was intended to be used for...oh well
This link fully describes the system. The dial is for the "IPS Code".

http://www.info4u.us/HEAR_Program.pdf
southerngent
New User

Post by southerngent »

WEll thanks to you very nice gentlemen/ladies..I am at rest with this unit, just seemed to be a very interesting piece of equipment and it was interesting to finally see what it was used for.In its days it was probably a very important piece of equipment.THanks again for all the very informative information.Its good to have a place to come where nice people greet you with kindness.Great place to releive daily stress.......................THanks Again to all who responded..GOD BLESS

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”