Motorola XTS 3000

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

N4CYA
New User
What radios do you own?: XTS 5000 & APX 7000XE

Motorola XTS 3000

Post by N4CYA »

Question I just bought a Motorola XTS 3000 that came with the following firmware 7.01.01.00 and DSP software: N07.03.09 also comes with the 500008-000000-1 APCO-25 digital operation, H114/G114 Digital ID Operation and H38/G51 Smartzone Operation. I was wondering what is the latest firmware and DSP software update that is currently out for this radio?

Also what is needed such as programming cable? Will a serial to USB cable work?
K8TEK
"Dark Chocolate"
What radios do you own?: Dynatac

Re: Motorola XTS 3000

Post by K8TEK »

Go buy a scanner. You are only going to get yourself in trouble with such a radio.
K8TEK::Tim
JPOPatents

Post by JPOPatents »

N4CYA wrote: I was wondering what is the latest firmware and DSP software update that is currently out for this radio?
If you bothered to run a 2-second search on this site and others you would learn that the latest firmware/DSP is R07.71.07/8.03.05. You would also learn that an upgrade will make a big difference particularly with regard to the DSP.
N4CYA wrote:Also what is needed such as programming cable?
Here's what you need to program the radio:

RIB: RLN4008E - $200 from Motorola
RIB to radio cable: RKN4035D - $227.85 from Motorola
RIB to PC cable: 3080369B72 - $52 from Motorola
CPS R05.03.00 (NLA but you might find a download)

If you are planning on monitoring a trunking system, get a scanner and stay out of jail. Your posts on this site and others indicate that this type of radio is more advanced than you can handle.
Last edited by JPOPatents on Mon May 13, 2013 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-John
N4DES
was KS4VT
What radios do you own?: APX,XTS2500,XTL2500,XTL1500

Post by N4DES »

Ooooo...sounds like a new customer for some lucky system administrator.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Where do you guys get the impression he is going to use this on a trunking system? Seeing as OP's username appears to be a ham call. One should make the assumption that ham radio operators are generally aware of FCC rules with regard to where they may legally transmit, what with having to take a rules examination in order to obtain the call. Perhaps they plan on using it for ham purposes. Can we give the new member the benefit of the doubt?
KD7FLY
What radios do you own?: Astro Portables/Spectras

Post by KD7FLY »

escomm wrote:Where do you guys get the impression he is going to use this on a trunking system? Seeing as OP's username appears to be a ham call. One should make the assumption that ham radio operators are generally aware of FCC rules with regard to where they may legally transmit, what with having to take a rules examination in order to obtain the call. Perhaps they plan on using it for ham purposes. Can we give the new member the benefit of the doubt?
I couldn't agree more with that statement. Heck, half of the XTS3k's for sale on eBay or the web in general G51 in it - you just cannot really avoid it. Judging by his post, he merely said what he had in an attempt to find out more information...most guys who are new to Motorola really don't know how to go about it in the right context when talking to people (like us) who live and breathe it. Also - if I was seeking to hax0r a TRS I wouldn't create a user account on this website with my call sign in it...

Regardless, welcome to the site, N4CYA. I would definitely suggest taking some time to browse about the forums and read up on what people are talking about. Also using the search feature on the forum as well as Google tends to warrant some great results.
Cheers & 73s,

Josh - KD7FLY
MDC: 3169
P25: 6001165
DMR-MARC: 3142019
---
N4DES
was KS4VT

Post by N4DES »

Well maybe he can clarify his post and advise the frequency band of the radio, even though he was pretty specific is saying that it has a SZ flashcode in it, which is probably where the assumptions and comments are coming from. If he is going to use for amateur radio purposes and it is a VHF or UHF radio, then the SZ detail would of been moot and he had no real reason to mention it.

So...what is it N4CYA? Is it VHF, UHF, or 800 MHz?
N4DES
was KS4VT

Post by N4DES »

Whoops....whong thread.
Last edited by N4DES on Thu May 16, 2013 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

I've spoken to this guy before on DMR. He's in the middle of Florida, & the radio is a UHF "R" split radio. He just wants to put some local ham freq's in the radio, but seems to be having problems with the USB/Serial port adapter. He is new to the whole programming thing, & had someone else set up his DMR radio. I have offered to program some local ham freq's in his radio for him for the price of the postage required to send the radio back to him. They ripped him a new one on RR, & P25.CA, but he seems to be a nice guy, just not as technically inclined as most. But we were all in that boat at some point in our lives. Some are lucky to work in a 2-way shop, & others have friends who do. He has neither, but I will be glad to put some ham freq's in his radio. GARY
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

He just e-mailed me that he had a local 2-way shop program some local UHF ham freq's in his radio. So he's now happy, & the system admin's can rest easy as there's no radio to stun. GARY

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”