Two X9000's audio output in parallel

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

N9LLO

Two X9000's audio output in parallel

Post by N9LLO »

Has anyone tried parallelling the audio out on 2 x9000's to drive one 4 ohm speaker?

Chris
N9LLO
Will

Re: Two X9000's audio output in parallel

Post by Will »

NO.
You would have to use two isolation transformers, one on each radio's audio/speaker output.
Last edited by Will on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N9LLO

Post by N9LLO »

I guess I should have asked has anyone but me tried it. The x9000 audio amps ARE transformer coupled and completly isolated. My dual drawer setup works fine with the audio leads in parallel driving a 4 ohm speaker.

Chris
N9LLO
Al

Post by Al »

If it works, it works. But not a great idea because you're backfeeding the opposing radio with audio from the active one. A transformer hybrid between the two radios and the speaker would have prevented that from occurring.
N9LLO

Post by N9LLO »

The only hybrid transformers I have seen were designed for two wire telephony circuits (600 ohms).
Probably too expensive for me even if avaliable for lo z circuits. I know there will be increased current in the amps under certain conditions but at typical volume levels I dont think it will be a problem. I seem to remember a lengthy discussion of this a long time ago but it may have been on the old board before the move to PHPbb. My search turned up nothing. Mabye someone else remembers or was involved in that discussion.

Chris
N9LLO
Al

Post by Al »

The hybrid that I spoke of would have to be a custom one because I've not seen a commercially available low impedance one. A less expensive idea involves using an external power amp in inverting configuration with summing resistors on its inverting input fed from the audio outputs of both X9000s. Gives you the isolation between radios to prevent the backfeed situation while summing the outputs.
George
What radios do you own?: X9000, HT1550XLS, MTS2000, etc

Post by George »

Hook them up and go to it. Nothing bad will happen.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”