Is this antenna OEM?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jakegday
New User

Is this antenna OEM?

Post by Jakegday »

Hello all. Antenna in question is the lower one. This antenna was listed as an OEM antenna, and was really cheap. The font/lettering on it doesnt match an antenna that i know is OEM though. I was just wondering if anyone knew from the font/lettering if this is indeed an actual OEM motorola antenna? Thanks

MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Re: Is this antenna OEM?

Post by MT2000 man »

Doesn't look to be OEM at all. You have a picture of the base ?
Jakegday
New User

Post by Jakegday »

yep

RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

Which EBay seller ? There are a few known to peddle junk and yeah, looks bogus I believe we've seen these shown on BatlaBs previously along with a pic of someone which dissected one.
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

FAKE, FRAUD, PHONEY EBAY BALONEY
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
mikegilbert
What radios do you own?: All of them

Post by mikegilbert »

Nope. It's a cheap fake. Lindawang sells some of the worst clones on ebay. Bought some "OEM" HT1000 cases and uhf SMA whips from her for and they were total garbage.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-ASTRO- ... 20d347258b

Here's one of her auction images. Looks identical to the one you posted. Definitely not worth the $7.50 she's asking.

MTS2000des

Post by MTS2000des »

Lindawang, who blesses her road apple knockoff's from God.
A while back, someone posted a great A-B comparison teardown of the REAL DEAL OEM Motorola antenna (believe it was a wideband UHF whip) versus one of these pieces of crap from China- and the difference in construction was astounding.

The knock-off was so poorly assembled, with a single piece of wire soldered at one point on the SMA that would easily break after flexing from normal use- and cause your nice Jedi or Astro 25 radio to be transmitting into an open,

You get what you pay for. With Ebay being a fraudster's paradise of fake turds- I only order antennas from people like ESCOMM. Sure they may be more, but I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would rely on one of these pieces of crap that can hose your PA just to save a few bucks.

I tried searching for the thread on here but could not find it. May I make a suggestion that it be made a sticky?
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
Jakegday
New User

Post by Jakegday »

well, you guys nailed it! That is exactlty who i bought it from. Should have known something was up when the auction blatantly stated a full refund will be given to dissatisfied customers, without sending the item back. So needless to say, i received a full refund.
MTS2000des

Post by MTS2000des »

probably cost less than .25 to make that piece of crap
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Silly question #2563 - How come MOT hasn't put a beat down on a vendor like this already?
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

Bill_G wrote:Silly question #2563 - How come MOT hasn't put a beat down on a vendor like this already?
This one's in the worlds counterfit capital and pretty much out of reach. How about that guy Tim, he still peddling similar stuff ?

There was an export dealer some 10-12 years back selling export market radios domestically that suffered their wrath. At that time the domestic and export radios shared model #'s. The export specific model #'s (like the PRO prefix) started shortly thereafter and the GP68's had their FCC #'s deleted from the labels to thwart importation.
MTS2000des

Post by MTS2000des »

I think Motorola doesn't care. There are several US sellers peddling CPS for just about every radios, and have been for months.

These antennas are dangerous. They are of poor quality and can not only damage a radio, but put a life safety user at risk. Yeah, I know, who buys their mission critical radio gear off Ebay?

Think volunteer firefighters, police reservists...with budgets as thin as they are these days you'd be surprised. I shudder to think these turd antennas wind up on some cop or smoke jumper's radio.
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

This is why every radio that crosses my bench gets its antenna inspected. If it isn't genuine OEM I cut it in half with a pair of dikes and throw it in the trash.
Will

Post by Will »

com501 wrote:This is why every radio that crosses my bench gets its antenna inspected. If it isn't genuine OEM I cut it in half with a pair of dikes and throw it in the trash.
EXACTLY....

The antenna IS one of the most important part in a radio system, even more so for a portable.
okto
New User
What radios do you own?: Jedis and Sabers, mostly.

Post by okto »

Can someone post a link to the comparative antenna dissection that was mentioned? I'd be interested to compare. I just bought a wideband VHF whip from lindawang that claims to be OEM. After reading this thread I think I'm going to leave negative feedback based on false listing/counterfeit item.
I got no problem with cheap copies, but don't lie and say it's original M.
chrismoll12

Post by chrismoll12 »

2010Lindawang - 8.7 inch wideband OEM is complete BS - the hell is a "8.7 inch" antenna? Genuine is 8.5 inch exactly - The real motorola trademark extends exactly to 2inch mark on a real motorola vhf wideband antenna - wang's counterfeit's pictures extend only to 1.5inch -

I dont even want to wonder about the batteries lindawang selling - :o
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

It is time to work diligently to stop the sale of bogus/fake products.
Ebay has a growing reputation for allowing profits over honesty and integrity.
okto
New User

Post by okto »

Well, I got my lindawang wideband VHF duckie in, and while it is very obviously not a legit OEM antenna, it's built to the same level of quality, and it performs noticeably better than the /\/\ heliflex that came with my HT. So it's a fake, but a damned good one.
p47r4ck

Post by p47r4ck »

So when I recently bought two ASTRO 25 portables (XTS 1500 & XTS2500) I wanted to make sure that these had decent wide-band VHF antennas since I was going to be using these for HAM, MURS, and monitoring the Public Safety folk in the area (contrary to what Motorola may want us to believe, all of the United States isn't 800Mhz P25-Trunked >_<)

When my portables I arrived I noticed the logo on antennas looked a little funky.

I had remembered looking at this post earlier in the summer and noticed that the logos on the antennas didn't look like the "normal" Motorola logo (even the ones on my XTS3000's).

The packaging they were in looked official enough, but I figured it was just a decent attempt at a counterfeit.

I shook my head, and headed over to MOL to order two 8505518V01 wide-band VHF antennas. Upon "shopping around" I saw that there were folks that offered them for about $5.00 cheaper than MOL, but with all the questions of authenticity I didn't want to screw around. After shipping and taxes it worked out to be about $25.00 per antenna. Pretty steep in my opinion, but whatever... this is High-Tier Moto gear I figured.

So, the two links below are a picture of what showed up in a box from Motorola Solutions :

http://i.imgur.com/JT3TcZ6.jpg <--- MOL antenna and the plastic packaging it came in
http://i.imgur.com/x69B9cC.jpg <--- MOL antenna on the XTS2500i I had purchased, reception is great too!

Just thought you guys would find it interesting that this is what showed up from Ma /\/\

Thoughts?
okto
New User

Post by okto »

P47r4ck, that's the exact same antenna as the one I got from lindawang. Looks like Moto is outsourcing, and that's why they haven't put the cramp on the so-called counterfeiters.
sjxts3000
No Longer Registered

Post by sjxts3000 »

I just bought a 435-470 stubby UHF (green) antenna from a VERY reputable online authorized dealer who I have bought MANY OEM antennas from before (without issue) and when the antenna arrived it was in the same type of packaging and had the same type of letting/font as p47r4ck mentioned above. I have no reason to believe the antenna was a fake/knockoff. But I have no idea why Motorola changed the "design". Anyone have any ideas?
W2IBC
What radios do you own?: Maxtrac,gm300,msf5000

Post by W2IBC »

got to love these chinesse knock offs

Move any manufacturing to China and you WILL be compeating against knock offs. I just dont understand why so many continue to move manufacturing over to china..

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”