What Two Bands For The Greatest Inter-Operability In The US?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jim1348

What Two Bands For The Greatest Inter-Operability In The US?

Post by Jim1348 »

If you could pick just two bands for the most flexibility in public safety inter-operability, which two would they be? I am thinking it is simply VHF highband and 800 mHz, but maybe it is different in other parts of the country. In fact, around here, I don't think ANY 450/460 mHz mutual aid is in use. What is it like in your area?
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Re: What Two Bands For The Greatest Inter-Operability In The

Post by KitN1MCC »

low band
MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Post by MT2000 man »

Around my area ( central CT ) most PS frequencies are all UHF ( and all quickly going P25 as well ). There are a few 800MHZ P25 systems ( State Police being one of the first ), and VERY few VHF PS frequencies.

So I'd go with UHF followed by 800MHZ.
N4DES
was KS4VT
What radios do you own?: APX,XTS2500,XTL2500,XTL1500

Post by N4DES »

I have just under 80 agencies connected on 800 MHz. (State, Local, and Federal) That band rules in most of Florida.
KitN1MCC

Post by KitN1MCC »

MT2000 man wrote:Around my area ( central CT ) most PS frequencies are all UHF ( and all quickly going P25 as well ). There are a few 800MHZ P25 systems ( State Police being one of the first ), and VERY few VHF PS frequencies.

Go South of hartford its VHF and UHF and Low Band
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Jim1348 wrote:If you could pick just two bands for the most flexibility in public safety inter-operability, which two would they be? I am thinking it is simply VHF highband and 800 mHz, but maybe it is different in other parts of the country. In fact, around here, I don't think ANY 450/460 mHz mutual aid is in use. What is it like in your area?

The only answer is it depends on what is used in your area.

There is no cut and dry answer that will fit all locations around the country. If you get out into the great plains states, I think you will find that low band and VHF are the big players.
N9LLO

Post by N9LLO »

Exactly, interoperability is a sales buzzword. What it boils down to is being able to communicate with the areas around you. The need and solutions have always been there. Implementation is the key, the funds must be spent to make it work.
Garyf629

Post by Garyf629 »

KitN1MCC wrote:
MT2000 man wrote:Around my area ( central CT ) most PS frequencies are all UHF ( and all quickly going P25 as well ). There are a few 800MHZ P25 systems ( State Police being one of the first ), and VERY few VHF PS frequencies.

Go north of Hartford and it is all VHF and UHF. Split about evenly.

P25 is only going where Moto Solutions is able to sell to agencies that have no one with radio experience, or knowledge.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

If you want to cover your bases, buy a Unity. 8)

Around Dallas, it's majority 800 in the big cities, VHF surrounding... with Dallas proper still on UHF and some of the smaller departments around Fort Worth still on UHF.
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

Garyf629 wrote:
KitN1MCC wrote:

Go north of Hartford and it is all VHF and UHF. Split about evenly.

P25 is only going where Moto Solutions is able to sell to agencies that have no one with radio experience, or knowledge.
Unless you've found a town solicited by Marcus, and the answer there is clearly Passport.
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
KitN1MCC

Post by KitN1MCC »

Unless you've found a town solicited by Marcus, and the answer there is clearly Passport.[/quote]

From what i Gather that system is not all he says it is. i am not a a Bruce fan
Garyf629

Post by Garyf629 »

KitN1MCC wrote:Unless you've found a town solicited by Marcus, and the answer there is clearly Passport.

From what i Gather that system is not all he says it is. i am not a a Bruce fan[/quote]

Not that I want to start something.......While Bruce is a smart man, he is also one of the biggest a***oles of all time!

Anyone who lives in Connecticut, and involved in EMS ever wonder why North Central CMED was the last CMED up and running? He went out and license all the MED channels to ASM, (A ambulance service out of Manchester CT, which he was a part owner.) then fought the start up, on the grounds that it was going to interfere with his already licensed freqs. He offered to drop his complaints if we contracted with him to build the center, and supply radios to all the services. The radios he was selling did not meet the requirements that were in place at the time. There were also a federal grant that picked up 90% o0f the cost of the center and 66% of the cost of each ambulance radio. This grant specified Motorola equipment.

Now that I've said all this....I will let this thread get back to it's original topic.
Anyone who wants to attack this statement feel free to email me at: garyf629@gmail.com continue it there NOT here!
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

Police interoperability is irrelevant, as they never talk to other agencies. :lol:

Fire interop.. where I am you need UHF and 700/800 P25 Phase II with AES. Except for a handful (as in, I can count them on one hand) of agencies/counties VHF-hi has been relegated to paging and station alerting. Lowband is a distant memory.
kb4mdz
What radios do you own?: Too many for the time I have.

Post by kb4mdz »

A wise man once told me "Police agencies don't play well with each other, even if it's in their best interest to do so"
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

motorola_otaku wrote:Fire interop.. where I am you need UHF and 700/800 P25 Phase II with AES. Except for a handful (as in, I can count them on one hand) of agencies/counties VHF-hi has been relegated to paging and station alerting. Lowband is a distant memory.
Unless you want to play in anything at the state level... in which case you better have VHF installed or you will be turned around and sent home. As far as P25 Phase 2 with AES for fire ops... I think we all know how big of an interop failure that is!

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”