5k-XTVA question

Moderator: Queue Moderator

N9LLO

5k-XTVA question

Post by N9LLO »

I drug out my ntn8560E XTVA to use with my XTS5000,s And have a couple of questions. The FPP menu button on the mic doesn't work. You get backlight with keypress but no FPP. One 5K is rev 19.5 and one Rev 20. Codeplug version 23.

Second question. This thing does crazy things with a ntn6034A li-ion impress battery. Is there a fix to get it to work with this battery?

Chris
N9LLO
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Re: 5k-XTVA question

Post by spectragod »

FPP won't work with the xtva. I don't believe you are supposed to use lithium's with that unit.
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Post by N9LLO »

10-4 on the FPP. I can live with that but the battery issue might be a deal breaker. I like my 6034 li-ion batteries does anyone know if there is an SRN or other information to get this battery to work?
Jim1348

5k-XTVA Question

Post by Jim1348 »

I have been contemplating another battery for my XTS5000. Is the Li-ion better? If so, how so? I can still use the Impress charger, I assume, for the li-ion? I assume that they are more expensive. If so, how much more expensive?
Majorkc

Post by Majorkc »

1) The FFP is proprietary to the radio so the XTVA does not have the ability to write to the radio. (If it did i would be on an xts 5k ASAP)

2) The XTVA is an Tri chemistry charger and does work. I've tested it today with one my xts 3k with the Li-ion both the 4100mah NNTN6034A and the Slim 2750mah NNTN4437B batteries . Now with the Slim li Ion battery my xtva does not like to charge and does not detect the status of the charge state.

What Version and Revision of XTVA do you have ?
N9LLO

Post by N9LLO »

Well the dude at Motorola parts ID says the XTVA and li-ion batteries dont mix. The XTVA literature makes mention of li-ion compatability. I am thinking it must be the non impress li-ion batteries they used to make. It definitely does not work with the impress li-ions. If anybody has a non impress li-ion battery could you measure the resistance between fhe charging contacts on the left, side looking at the back of the battery contacts down. This tells the charger the battery chemistry. I know 5k is ni-cad and 10k is nimh. The impress li-ion seems to have a diode across those two contacts. Throws the XTVA in a tizzy.

Chris
N9LLO
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

N9LLO wrote:10-4 on the FPP. I can live with that but the battery issue might be a deal breaker. I like my 6034 li-ion batteries does anyone know if there is an SRN or other information to get this battery to work?
According to the XTVA user guide 68P81088C76-B(2002) the xtva is designed to operate with the below motorola batteries. - hope that helps.
NTN8294 Ultra-High Capacity NiCad
NTN8295 Ultra-High Capacity NiCad
NTN8297 Ultra-High Capacity NiCad
NTN8923 Ultra-High Capacity NiMH
NTN8299 Ultra-High Capacity NiMH
RNN4006 Ultra-High Capacity NiMH
RNN4007 Ultra-High Capacity NiMH
HNN9031 Ultra-High Capacity NiCD (Impres)
HNN9032 Ultra-High Capacity NiCD (Impres)
NNTN4435 Ultra-High Capacity NiMH (Impres)
NNTN4437 Ultra-High Capacity NiMH (Impres) or
NTN9862 Ultra-High Capacity Li-ion (Impres)
NOTE: The RNN4006 and RNN4007 Ultra-High Capacity NiMH batteries may not charge to full capacity when in the XTVA.
The XTVA can also charge compatible Lithium-ion batteries. The use of batteries not made by Motorola is not recommended.
fineshot1
NJ USA
N9LLO

Post by N9LLO »

MY XTVA is an NTN8560E My batteries are NNTN6034A. With The three batteries I have on 2 XTS5k's when inserted I get both yellow led flashing repeatedly. When I power on the radio they go out and stay out. My old nimh battery works OK. I tried the 6034A on my XTS3000 and I got one yellow flash then nothing.

Chris
N9LLO
Majorkc

Post by Majorkc »

That is odd im running an XTVA model NTN8560F and no problems with the NNTN6034A battles, I do have an older video on youtube showing me using it and the li ion battery. If only it was not so cold i would make an more current one. Have you tried re-initialize the microprocessor?

http://www.batlabs.com/xtva.html
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

N9LLO wrote:MY XTVA is an NTN8560E My batteries are NNTN6034A. With The three batteries I have on 2 XTS5k's when inserted I get both yellow led flashing repeatedly. When I power on the radio they go out and stay out. My old nimh battery works OK. I tried the 6034A on my XTS3000 and I got one yellow flash then nothing.

Chris
N9LLO
Chris - per the xtva user guide i sited above on page 5 there are two LED's on the holder unit and the charging LED is the
one closest to the xtva radio pocket. Continuous Red = Charging condition, Radio in xtva. Continuous Green = Fully charged
condition, radio in xtva. Flashing Red = A charging fault condition exists, check radio battery and its charging contacts. If this
condition continues contact your local motorola rep for assistance. Continuous Orange = Radio Battery temperature out of range.
Allow time for the battery to cool down or warm up. No reference to yellow exists for the charging LED. The other LED is the
Radio Mode LED. LED not lit = Standby, Continuous Red = Radio in Transmit Mode, Flashing Red = Radio in channel-busy (conventional mode),
Flashing Green = Private Call Received.
fineshot1
NJ USA
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

fineshot1 wrote:
N9LLO wrote:MY XTVA is an NTN8560E My batteries are NNTN6034A. With The three batteries I have on 2 XTS5k's when inserted I get both yellow led flashing repeatedly. When I power on the radio they go out and stay out. My old nimh battery works OK. I tried the 6034A on my XTS3000 and I got one yellow flash then nothing.

Chris
N9LLO
Chris - per the xtva user guide i sited above on page 5 there are two LED's on the holder unit and the charging LED is the
one closest to the xtva radio pocket. Continuous Red = Charging condition, Radio in xtva. Continuous Green = Fully charged
condition, radio in xtva. Flashing Red = A charging fault condition exists, check radio battery and its charging contacts. If this
condition continues contact your local motorola rep for assistance. Continuous Orange = Radio Battery temperature out of range.
Allow time for the battery to cool down or warm up. No reference to yellow exists for the charging LED. The other LED is the
Radio Mode LED. LED not lit = Standby, Continuous Red = Radio in Transmit Mode, Flashing Red = Radio in channel-busy (conventional mode),
Flashing Green = Private Call Received. I suspect your battery model did not exist at the time of the 2002 printing of this B version
fineshot1
NJ USA
N9LLO

Post by N9LLO »

I guess its orange not yellow that I'm seeing. When you first put the radio in they both flash once fast then charging begins (if the charger recognizes the battery. I am thinking I may need the 8560F version for this to work but I sure would like to see some documentation or other users success story before I source an F version XTVA
N9LLO

Post by N9LLO »

I just bought an ntn8560F on ebay for $45. I will let you all know how it goes in a couple of days

Chris
N9LLO
wx4cbh

Post by wx4cbh »

It's my understanding that F models and up are OK with the Li-ion, and E models and below are not. My F model woks fine with the Li-ion, and the D model I have does not like them.
curmudgeon.....and I like it.
abbylind
What radios do you own?: What dont I own?

Post by abbylind »

Had a converta com (dating myself) It would flash on charge until you pushed the PTT on the mike then it charged normally...sounds silly but have you tried that?
Q: Does this unit come with a speaker?
A: hello yes its in the radio thanks
N9LLO

Post by N9LLO »

Just got my F version and it works fine on the Impress Li-ion. I think the older versions would only work on the non impress li-ions

chris
Gadget826
New User
What radios do you own?: MotoTRBO,XTS3000, 5000,Spectra

Post by Gadget826 »

Quick question for everyone on this- I am currently wracking my brain troubleshooting why my XTS5000R w/ FPP stopped charging in my newly installed XTVA recently. Ironically the radio works, I have the HHC display mic & it shows the correct information and the radio shows "Remote" in the display when it is in the dock. However, the battery charge lights do not come on at all, the display in the HHC mic does not light up & the audio comes out of the radio, not the external powered speaker. I tried one of my XTS3000 non-display radios & aside from the expected "key fail" in the display everything works fine. Reading everyone's input on this thread leads me to believe I may have a battery issue but my question: are the symptoms I described the same thing everyone else experienced with this problem? Thanks in advance- only thing I haven't tried is swapping the betteries between the 3000 & the 5000 to see if the problem moves with it.
"To err is human... to really screw things up requires a computer!"

Return to “ASTRO25 Series (XTS/XTL 1500/2500/5000) Subscribers”