XTS Series Battery

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

tbergman
New User

XTS Series Battery

Post by tbergman »

Folks,

Looking for some input on a battery for the XTS3k/XTS5k radios. I currently have an XTS3k but most likely will be acquiring a 5k in the near future. I currently have a high capacity NIMH battery attached to the radio and sometimes run out of power during longer 12+ hour shifts. The radio is in a holster and outside temps are around -10f on a normal day. Is there anything besides a second battery for longer shifts I can do or is it time to switch to the impress stuff.

Hopefully someone can school me on the impress stuff as I have searched the forum and have found nothing.

Thanks
tdats
What radios do you own?: Mostly Motorola

Re: XTS Series Battery

Post by tdats »

I recently ordered an aftermarket LiION Impres battery from Newegg of all places.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 1HS0JZ3940

While I am not a fan of aftermarket batteries, this one has been working for me so far. It hasn't got a good drop test or anything yet. The radio reads the impress data from the battery, and my impress chargers read it as an impress battery, including a display charger I tried it in. The only strange thing I have noticed, every time I drop it in the charger, it wants to re-condition the battery. Taking it back out and putting it right back in tells it to charge it.

For runtime, I have left the radio on for 2 days straight and it was still going strong. The name brand battery that was provided to me would have issues after about 9 hours.

It's physical fit is not perfect, but it does latch on and seems to be sturdy.

As for what impress is, it is a battery maintenance system. There is a chip in the battery that talks to the radio and the charger, and with a compatible impress charger, it automates the battery maintenance and re-conditioning.
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

Motorola is releasing a new, lower cost NON-IMPRES 4000 mAh Li-ion battery soon, but doesn't perform as well in lower temperature.

Motorola does have a 3000 mAh battery part# PMNN4093A. NI-MH performs better in low temperature as compared to Li-ION.

Operating Temperature:

Ni-CAD -22F to +140°F

NiMH -4F to +122°F

Li-Ion +14F to +122°F
Jim1348

XTS Series Battery

Post by Jim1348 »

Great information. Thank you for the posts!
tbergman
New User

Post by tbergman »

Thanks for the great information, I guess I will probably start looking at Ni-Cad batteries with large capacities due to the weather. I finally got sick of the low battery tone and programmed it not to go off as it was beeping about 2-3 hours into shifts. My guess is that the voltage dropped due to the temps.
N9LLO

Post by N9LLO »

I have been wondering about that Titan Li-Ion battery. Is it the thin light weight type like the motorola 6034A or is it in a standard size XTS battery case

Chris
CPD534

Post by CPD534 »

I don't know if anyone has ever thought about it but I just had an idea. If you're using a holster or can use some type of vest with a pocket or whatever, maybe you can get some handwarmers and stick one in there behind the battery. That might help things in extreme situations. Thoughts?
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

BigTime battery are complete ripoff artists. Look at their glowing reviews online. A bunch of rude, sleaze bags.
FWIW, the NiMH OEM RNN4006 batteries are great, have several. They are non-Impres, but they are quite affordable. Nothing beats an original Motorola battery for fit. You get what you pay for.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

MTS2000des wrote: Nothing beats an original Motorola battery for fit. You get what you pay for.
True, We have been lured by the cheap price of knock-offs only to be disappointed in the past. They may work at first, but always have let us down in the long run.
tdats
What radios do you own?: Mostly Motorola

Post by tdats »

My titan battery is actually a little thicker and lighter than my NNTN4438B. So far, it is working, but long term time will tell. Whenever I deploy, I take my Motorola brand battery with me just in case. I am part of our emergency management team, so my radio does not get exposed to a lot of field conditions.

Also, for the good of the group, the titan battery I linked to on Newegg came with a BatteryJack, Inc sticker on the battery, 1-888-307-6937, part number NTN6034.
Last edited by tdats on Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
tbergman
New User

Post by tbergman »

CPD534 wrote:I don't know if anyone has ever thought about it but I just had an idea. If you're using a holster or can use some type of vest with a pocket or whatever, maybe you can get some handwarmers and stick one in there behind the battery. That might help things in extreme situations. Thoughts?
Interesting idea, although I think the cost would start to add up. I try an use the mobile in the vehicle as much as possible to keep my portable's batter as full as possible but I think the long term solution is a new battery or possibly carrying a spare with me on shift.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”