ADP Encryption Keys

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

PDradioExpert
New User

ADP Encryption Keys

Post by PDradioExpert »

Hello all. I have a frustrating problem that I'm hoping someone has an answer for. Its very confusing so I'll do my best to explain.

I work as a police officer in the Los Angeles area and I am a radio hobbiest on the side. I have a personal XTS5000 III with the following info:

Model # H18SDH9PW7AN
Host Version R20.00.01
DSP Version R19.50.00
8 MEG
Flashcode 589008-101E87-1

The agency I work for uses 1 frequency programmed with ADP Encryption and has the encryption key programmed into the "Secure Multi-key position #1". A neighboring agency also used ADP Encryption on their channel and their encryption key (which differs from our obviously) is programmed into "Secure Multi-key position #1" on their radios. I have programmed both keys into my radio, ours in position #1 and the other agencies in position #2, however, both channels/personalities only use which ever key is programmed into "Secure Multi-key position #1". I have made sure to STRAP key #2 to the second frequency in the personality setting however it still reverts back to the key programmed into position #1. Is it possible to accomplish what I want? Thanks
tvsjr

Re: ADP Encryption Keys

Post by tvsjr »

The secret is in the Key ID (not the CKR number). This is what "steers" the radio to the right key. If your other radio "experts" weren't so expert and left the default for both keys at key id 1, then you're hosed. Key IDs must be unique.
Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 »

This is getting to be a very common problem for interoperability and more so in the TRBO world lately.

As tvsjr said there is currently no way to have two keys of the same algo with duplicate KIDs in the same radio, it's been suggested that radio manufacturers could easily get around this by allowing multiple "key lists" to be setup, then assigning each personality to a key list, not unlike scan lists are at the moment.

Your only other alternative is to approach one of or both agencies and suggest that they change the KID on their next rekey... good luck with that! But until that happens you would need to carry two separate radios.

Andrew
PDradioExpert
New User

Post by PDradioExpert »

Thats unfortunate that its not possible. Well thank you very much for the replies. Much appreciated. Ill just have to continue using two radios

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”