Xts 25k battery drain problem?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

JRUTA
What radios do you own?: APX6k Visar

Xts 25k battery drain problem?

Post by JRUTA »

Hi all. Not sure if this is a radio or battery problem, but it doesn't seem normal.

I'm using my xts25k for work. The radio is factory new, and the batteries are factory fresh (waris- its all I have at the moment) HNN9008.

I work 12 hour shifts, and have been primarily keeping the radio on quick-call, VERY few transmissions, the majority of the time the radio is silent. I'm finding the batteries not making it for 12 hours. Just doesn't seem right- I'm basically using it as a pager most of the time. I would think I could get DAYS worth of battery life in QC mode.

Is this normal?

John
JRUTA

Re: Xts 25k battery drain problem?

Post by JRUTA »

Sorry that should have read xts2.5k

R11.00.01 (NOS)
tuckerm

Post by tuckerm »

HMN9008 doesn't sound like it's compatible with an XTS2500.

http://www.motorolasolutions.com/US-EN/ ... 9008_US-EN
Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.
JRUTA

Post by JRUTA »

Thought waris batteries worked on the xts. Guess I just found my problem lol

Thanks
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

FWIW R11.01 is garbage firmware, current release is R20.01, IIRC 11.01 had some issues including random bricking. Might want to get it refreshed if you can.

As far as your battery problem, I've never had an issue using Waris batteries on my 2500s, they don't show the battery level, but 12 hours in conventional standby should not kill a battery. My VHF 2500 with R19.5 HOST will go for DAYS between charges with about 8 hrs a day of mostly RX and some TX.

I'd say try getting the firmware refreshed, if that doesn't solve the problem time to have the radio bench checked specifically current drain. It shouldn't be more than around 100ma sitting there quiet, if you're killing a 1500mah battery in less than 12 hours, something is wrong.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
JRUTA

Post by JRUTA »

That's what I thought, I'll see if I can get a firmware refresh (any idea on cost?) and get her benched if that doesn't work. I knew something was wrong- these are fresh batteries and the radio is parked on quick-call, doesn't last 12 hours. Not good.

Thanks
John
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

Most dealers should do a refresh for around $75-85.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
JRUTA

Post by JRUTA »

Thanks for the info.

John

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”