Is there still a market for old Spectras & MaxTracs>

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KB1JHU

Is there still a market for old Spectras & MaxTracs>

Post by KB1JHU »

While going cleaning up the basement at my EMS agency I came across a pile of old mobile radios. The boss wants them gone and would prefer to try get a little money for them. Is there still a market for Spectras and MaxTracs?

Here's some of the model numbers.

Spectras
D44KMA7JA5BK
D44KMA7JA4AK

MaxTracs
D44MJA7DA5CK
D44MJA7JA5AK

MCX100 - D44EMA7J00A

Would it be worth trying to list them on eBay or dragging to a hamfest?
KB1JHU
B.S., Conservation Law Enforcement, Unity College
Jim202

Re: Is there still a market for old Spectras & MaxTracs>

Post by Jim202 »

KB1JHU wrote:While going cleaning up the basement at my EMS agency I came across a pile of old mobile radios. The boss wants them gone and would prefer to try get a little money for them. Is there still a market for Spectras and MaxTracs?

Here's some of the model numbers.

Spectras
D44KMA7JA5BK
D44KMA7JA4AK

MaxTracs
D44MJA7DA5CK
D44MJA7JA5AK

MCX100 - D44EMA7J00A

Would it be worth trying to list them on eBay or dragging to a hamfest?

I have found that spectra radios make fine radios for the ham band. They are hard to kill. It's not that hard to put them on the ham band and once the capacitors on the control board and a couple of other places are changed, they will run forever.

The MLM version of firmware will determine what features you can have in the radio. They will do a number of channels, depending on how you program them. Many of the Spectra radios can do up to 128 channels (modes). If you have the right version of the MLM board, it will do zones.

The units you have are on UHF. Big question is are all the pieces there to power them up and make them play? The control cables and power cables are getting slim pickings for trunk mount units. Your dash mount units have the 5 version heads with limited 3 buttons. Power level is mid power for about 40 to 50 watts. With out reading the radio, you have no idea what the UHF range is they are on. You could open up the radio and look at the model numbers on the circuit boards to figure out the range if you had to.

You will need a RIB to program them. The programming cable can be made easily. Last problem is the programming software. It is available if you look around enough. But you will need a slow clock speed computer running pure DOS to program the radios.

The Maxtrac radios are much more limited in number of channels you can have. Depends on the control head and control board they have. Some of them were 2 channel, some were 4 channel and some were 8 channel.

Jim
train_radio_guy

Post by train_radio_guy »

Scott,

I'd say put them out there on fleabay, and see what you can get for them. Without knowing their condition, it's tough to guess what you'll actually get. Hopefully the UHF Maxtracs & Spectras will bring $ 50 a piece, but the MCX is a different animal. If I remember correctly, that unit required the old suitcase programmer & an adapter to program the proms. Most folks aren't going to have access to that equipment, and won't want to mess with it. Narrowbanding has pretty much saturated the market with wideband, surplus commercial radio gear - hence the devaluation of the equipment.

Sorry I don't have better news for you. Good luck with the liquidation of the radios.

- trg, 8)
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing!" - Sledge Hammer
Satelite

Post by Satelite »

Hello:
The Maxtracs are 25khz wide band so wouldn't be legal for biz band .
But could be used on gmrs yet.
The spread on the maxtracs is most likely the 449 to 470 MHz so getting them to play well at the 440mhz band might be an issue.
You will need the program to allow out of band 440 MHz ham if you it was decided to try 440 MHz ham and retune and align for best operation.
And beware of how the shift key programming is done to get out of band limits.
That said youd have to also be able to program them with an old dos 6.22 computer and todays computers are windows.
The other band they could be would be the govt band at 403 to 430 MHz which im betting they are not since you said ems.
The model number of the first maxtrac you posted is a 16ch uhf 40 watt mobile.
The second model number maxtrac you posted is a 32ch uhf 40 watt mobile.
Believe it or not I was just the last few days thinking bout getting a few for GMRS .
Are they in pretty decent looking shape ect ?
How many each of the maxtracs model numbers do you have ?
What would you want for a maxtrac ?
Thanx Satelite
uman18
What radios do you own?: XTS5000 VHF, XTL5000 UHF/VHF

Post by uman18 »

Maxtracs are still bringing in about $40-60 on ebay depending if complete with mic etc, and also depending condition. 32CH ones even better. Great for GMRS which seems to have become more popular in the last 2 years. The Spectras as well should bring in $40-60 also.

Clean them up with water and a little soap on a cloth, and it will help with getting the most $$$, good luck!
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

i am getting like 50.00 for some used 45 watt spectras they were dirty and still sold

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”