Multiple Quantars on a single Battery String?

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

JJAllen
New User

Multiple Quantars on a single Battery String?

Post by JJAllen »

I have a location that needs two Quantar repeaters paralleled onto a single 24 volt string of batteries. Both Radios have the DC revert option, I simply don't have room for the additional batteries. The site is on a UPS and the DC revert is second level contingency- but required.
I have looked at length on this board and the internet but haven't seen anybody paralleling two radios onto a single set of batteries. I am worried that the Chargers on the two radios will "fight" and possibly let the magic smoke out. They may just share the charging duties, but I don't have a spare power supply in case they burn one another up.
Has anyone tried this before?
Is there a way to disable charging on one unit?

Thanks
FMROB

Re: Multiple Quantars on a single Battery String?

Post by FMROB »

Yes, you can disable charging function on the Quantar. I would recommend a separate charger for batteries. I have found the life of the PS to fair better. Just my 2 cents.

Rob
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

That's not a bad idea. Rather than trying to figure out, and McGuiver some way for the two stations to safely charge the same string of batteries, turn the problem around, and put in a third device that charges and manages the batteries while keeping the radios independent. That is off the shelf and easy to find.
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

I would look into getting one of these with the IQ smart charging option
and put all in parallel - no smoke about it. The batteries stay floated to
the top until the ac power goes out and no switching of load needed. The
Quantars will always be running on the batteries and no switching needed.
If the power goes out and the quantars run on battery for awhile the smart
charger will sense the battery charging needs when the ac power returns and
the batteries will be bulk charged if necessary or floated back up to top according
to what the smart charger thinks the batteries need.

I have used the 12V models for many years and they are bullet proof and survived
many power outages along with many more power hits and never had one quit on me.

http://www.iotaengineering.com/24vdc.htm
fineshot1
NJ USA
VE3TUH
What radios do you own?: more than I should...

Post by VE3TUH »

I am running 2 low power MTR2000's paralleled at the battery revert port, using an Argus charger for battery maintenance. Seems to work ok.
FMROB

Post by FMROB »

fineshot1 wrote:I would look into getting one of these with the IQ smart charging option
the batteries will be bulk charged if necessary or floated back up to top according

I have used the 12V models for many years and they are bullet proof and survived
many power outages along with many more power hits and never had one quit on me.

That may not work so well if the Quantar were not ordered DC only. If you shut off the charger in the Quantar the battery revert feature still functions. Maybe just shutting off charging with primary ac and a separate charger will do the trick. Plus the asc loss and battery power alarms will still function properly.

Rob
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

FMROB wrote:
fineshot1 wrote:I would look into getting one of these with the IQ smart charging option

That may not work so well if the Quantar were not ordered DC only. If you shut off the charger in the Quantar the battery revert feature still functions. Maybe just shutting off charging with primary ac and a separate charger will do the trick. Plus the asc loss and battery power alarms will still function properly.

Rob
Yes - your right. That is correct. My bad :)
fineshot1
NJ USA
FMROB

Post by FMROB »

No worries
Giovanni
New User

Post by Giovanni »

Running 3 Quantar's on a single 24 V NiCad Bank without any problems now 4 years.
New style Motorola supplies.
JJAllen
New User

Post by JJAllen »

postby Giovanni » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:50 am

Running 3 Quantar's on a single 24 V NiCad Bank without any problems now 4 years.
New style Motorola supplies

===>
Are you using AC supplies or DC only?

If you are using AC style supplies, Did you shut off the chargers in one or more of the Quantars?
If so, How do you shut off the battery charging in the Quantar?

I have AC supplies and I don't have room for a separate DC rectifier/charger, so at least one of the radios will need to float the batteries.

I also have a site with several DC only Quantars operating on one set of batteries fed by a 24 VDC rectifier/smart charger and it works well. But as I have mentioned I don't have room for radios and a charger too so I need a solution that allows both radios to connect to one set of batteries.
I need to know How to disable the charger in the Quantar.

Thanks

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”