XTS3000 - CPS Read Block Help

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jhsiao7317
New User

XTS3000 - CPS Read Block Help

Post by jhsiao7317 »

Hi, I recently purchased a XTS3000 800 band. I am using Astro/Saber CPS R05.03.00 but when I try to read the radio, it shows "ERROR READING FROM IMAGE WHEN ATTEMPTING TO UNPACK BLOCK HARDWARD CONFIG SECURE BLOCK UNPACK/FAIL".

I am using a Ribless cable which has worked on other XTS3000 radios that I have.

Can anyone help me get past this issue to read the Radio so I can continue programing?

Thanks
Jim202

Re: XTS3000 - CPS Read Block Help

Post by Jim202 »

jhsiao7317 wrote:Hi, I recently purchased a XTS3000 800 band. I am using Astro/Saber CPS R05.03.00 but when I try to read the radio, it shows "ERROR READING FROM IMAGE WHEN ATTEMPTING TO UNPACK BLOCK HARDWARD CONFIG SECURE BLOCK UNPACK/FAIL".

I am using a Ribless cable which has worked on other XTS3000 radios that I have.

Can anyone help me get past this issue to read the Radio so I can continue programing?

Thanks

Your using the wrong software. You need the Astro 25 software. Contact Motorola to purchase it.

Jim
jry

Post by jry »

that is the correct and latest SW for an XTS3000.

Is there an encryption module installed ? Just wondering if the codeplug has encryption configured but the module was renoved. May be irrelevant.

If you go into test mode ( hit the bottom side button five times ) and see if it reports the encryption HW version to see if there is still a module there.

Bottom line is if it does not let you skip past it when you read the codeplug you may have to force another codeplug in .... the P25.ca site has the details scattered through the threads on how to do this .
Squad5
was mwb9122

Post by Squad5 »

Jim202 wrote:
Your using the wrong software. You need the Astro 25 software. Contact Motorola to purchase it.

Jim
Huh? for an XTS3000?
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

Test with a real RIB
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Squad5 wrote:
Jim202 wrote:

Jim
Huh? for an XTS3000?

That's what happens when your past your bed time, the brain has already shut down.

Jim
jry

Post by jry »

other option would be to verify your setup with another radio.

If you are getting a consistent error ( fails at the same point every time )on the codeplug unpack from that radio it could very well be that the codeplug has become corrupt.

Usually the controller board is what gets replaced on half the Xts3000 repairs I do anymore due the memory components or solder joints failing. ( other half is displays and housings )

Re-writing the codeplug will often recover the radio but it may not be long before it corrupts again or the controller fails completely.

Moral of this story is to always save a backup of your codeplugs even if you are not changing anything.
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

and this failure is becoming more and more common as these radios age. The EEPROMs that store the codeplug also store dynamic radio data (such as trunking affiliation status, control channel, scan lists, etc). Constant writes an re-writes going on as the radio is used.

The EEPROMs have a finite number of write cycles, when it reaches that point, weird things start to happen, and often times even after routine programming, they go comatose like this.

Only solution is to replace the physical chip. It's not an expensive part, but requires proper SMD soldering to accomplish.

Just another thing to keep in mind when buying these older radios. They DO have a finite lifespan and the EEPROMs and the radios' use of them seems to be the cause of premature death.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”