Another IFR1600S Question

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

W4DDM
New User

Another IFR1600S Question

Post by W4DDM »

Hello,

Before posting I went through the forum to see if there was an answer already and I was unable to find one. If there is one I missed please point me in that direction.

I recently acquired a IFR1600S and I also have the Operation Manual. However I noticed that in the Operation Manual it only goes through the menus on the screen to perform various functions.

Because I am very new to using a service monitor I am kinda lost. Is there a document(s) or a personal web site that goes over what to connect and where to connect it on the IFR1600S when performing different functions?

Thanks,
Dean
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Re: Another IFR1600S Question

Post by Wowbagger »

I don't know if it is still available, but we (IFR/Aeroflex) used to have a very good "how to use a service monitor" for the 1200 family, which would at least give you a head start. I'll try to remember to look at the copy I have in my office and see if TechPubs still offers it.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
W4DDM
New User

Post by W4DDM »

Thank you !!!

I figured out some of the more than obvious functions... i.e.. attach the repeater tx to the T/R to check Freq/Power etc...
Where I am now is that I need to set the audio level of my repeater controller. This involves injecting a 1000hz 3KHz wide tone through the repeater and controller in order to test for .75v Peak to Peak on the controllers TP1. I also need to tune up a set of Duplexers.

Thanks,
Dean
W4DDM
New User

Post by W4DDM »

I almost forgot, as a new owner, can anyone recommend some add-ons that I should get for the IFR1600S ? i.e... a probe set, any specialized connectors etc... I was able to find a twist lock 8 pin Mic Plug on eBay. I also bought a dozen silver BNC connectors to make some RG-400 coax jumpers.

Thanks,
Dean
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

I cannot guarantee that these are available, but try contacting Aeroflex tech pubs and ask if they have 1002-0600-500 COM-120B Communications Service Monitor Application Guide (yes, it's not the 1600, but it should be close enough to get you started).

Semi-OT: I keep pressuring the company to make a lot of those sorts of manuals available free of charge on our web site. However, I am design engineering, not marketing/communications - I can only suggest this, not make it happen. If you guys want it to happen, I'd suggest contacting Aeroflex officially and asking nicely.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
Al

Post by Al »

Since Aeroflex has just been bought out by Cobham(per the email that I received this morning) perhaps upper level management will change and along with that change may come provision of greater access to obsolete drawings/manuals via the website.
http://www.cobham.com/media/news/cobham ... leted.aspx
W4DDM
New User

Post by W4DDM »

I will contact them and see if I can get it from them.

Question on the DMM Probe ports... are they just female banana sockets ? My desktop DMM probes will not fit the female plugs on the 1600. Should I be looking for a specific type of probe?

Thanks,
Dean
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

No, they are supposed to be standard banana jacks with shrouds, like any DMM.

W4DDM
New User

Post by W4DDM »

I guess it just the type that I have. My desktop DMM uses this kind of probe with the plastic shield over the banana post and these won't fit it.

jry

Post by jry »

the lead set for the 1600 can use a standard uncovered banana plug. Typically use a standard Banana to BNC adapter on those inputs

Believe the 1600/1900 lead set was initially from Coline and had a retractable banana plug cover but was deeper insertion than the standard Coline set that was used with HP and other meters.

You could modify a typical set to remove the banana cover and increase the insertion depth slightly on the remaining insulator.
W4DDM
New User

Post by W4DDM »

I ordered a couple extra sets of probes. Once they get here I will cut off the shield and give it a go.

Dean

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”