CP200 Not Being Read

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

1crazymax
What radios do you own?: CP200's, CM300, Baofeng UV-5RC

CP200 Not Being Read

Post by 1crazymax »

I purchased a pair of UHF 4 channel CP200's last week. There were originally purchased together since their serial numbers are just one off. Their firmware version is R03.06.02. When received only 2 channels were programmed to talk to each other so I read one of the radios, added 2 more PERS and frequencies that I needed. When I tried to clone to the second radio I get a Can not read, check to see if radio is connected and turned on, and COM ports, error codes 512 and 2415. I then tried to read the radio manually and got the same thing. Any suggestions?
Lake Effect

Re: CP200 Not Being Read

Post by Lake Effect »

Likely to be the jack connection to the circuit board. The contact that the cps uses is not used by an external mic so the problem would not show up until you try to program the radio. Quite a common problem and usually just needs to be soldered down again.

L.E.
SteveC0625
What radios do you own?: CDM's, CP's, CM's, and more

Post by SteveC0625 »

1crazymax wrote:I purchased a pair of UHF 4 channel CP200's last week. There were originally purchased together since their serial numbers are just one off. Their firmware version is R03.06.02. When received only 2 channels were programmed to talk to each other so I read one of the radios, added 2 more PERS and frequencies that I needed. When I tried to clone to the second radio I get a Can not read, check to see if radio is connected and turned on, and COM ports, error codes 512 and 2415. I then tried to read the radio manually and got the same thing. Any suggestions?
I had similar problems with a CP200 that I purchased online. I discovered that the thing had been used in a very dirty environment. The holes to the mic were plugged. The loud speaker was so badly caked with dirt that it totally muffled the receive audio. The programming contacts were covered in dirt and a bit discolored from oxidation. (The rubber cover for the mic and audio port was broken so that it would not stay on the radio. I suspect that it got a lot of use without the cover.) So I pulled the knobs and popped the board out of the case and began cleaning. After reassembly, the radio read and programmed properly, and both the tx and rx audios were back to normal.
1crazymax

Post by 1crazymax »

Thanks for the solutions, I'll give them both a try.

David
1crazymax

Post by 1crazymax »

I cleaned the small pin socket used by the CPS and lightly soldered the contacts again and still nothing. I thought it might be my cable, but it works fine on the mate to this radio and personal radios. ????
tztop10
What radios do you own?: HT1250 EX600XLS CDM1250 CP200

Post by tztop10 »

you need to have a cable that has a battery attached usually a E battery, you can also do it with serial if you choose not to have the batter part of the cable
Fratolicious
New User

Post by Fratolicious »

I have found in my experience that the jack actually gets worn out not making sufficient contact with the programming cable. We have replaced accessory jacks by the 100's at our shop because it is in fact a weak spot on that radio. I know it's an older post but wanted to give my info for what it's worth. Good Luck!
1crazymax

Post by 1crazymax »

Thanks for the input, there are no bad suggestions.

David

Return to “Radio Programming”