Motorola RIB Box

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Vercomm

Motorola RIB Box

Post by Vercomm »

Hi All,

Just wondering if the Motorola RIB boxes are repairable or if they are throw away. I've got a couple that no longer read radios. Was there a common problem with these things??

Thanks!!

Jamie
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, torn up and shouting... "Holy Sh*t...what a ride!!"
jackhackett

Re: Motorola RIB Box

Post by jackhackett »

Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Vercomm wrote:Hi All,

Just wondering if the Motorola RIB boxes are repairable or if they are throw away. I've got a couple that no longer read radios. Was there a common problem with these things??

Thanks!!

Jamie

The cable connectors occasionally break the circuit board connections over time. Many times this problem can be repaired by a simple flowing the solder connections again.

Jim
Vercomm

Post by Vercomm »

Yup those ones......I'll take a look at those schematics and order some parts.
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, torn up and shouting... "Holy Sh*t...what a ride!!"
Vercomm

Post by Vercomm »

Does anybody know if they make a replacement manual for the new E version RIB boxes. Can't order this 6880309C92 anymore.

Thanks!!
35echo

Post by 35echo »

Vercomm,

6880309C92 is for the B version of the RLN4008 I believe. The latest version I know of is 6880309H26 thich is for the D version.
http://www.repeater-builder.com/motorol ... n4008d.pdf

If you find one for the E version, please post a link.

Regards,
Allen
Vercomm

Post by Vercomm »

Found a manual for the RLN4008D (6880309H26), still looking for the E version.

Thanks!!
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Post by DJP126 »

When I was with Motorola's Test Equipment Service Depot, we would exchange the "B" model RIB for $100.00 (Price for a new one was $200.00). We would then repair the exchanged box. When the "D" box came out, it cost too much to repair so we just exchanged them and threw the bad one out. IIRC, the difference between the "D" and "E" boxes was a supplier change, so there shouldn't be any major changes in the schematics.

Most of the problems were blown protect diodes on the bus lines, bad 5V regulators or bad +5 to -5 V inverters. Most of the other problems that customers saw were caused by intermittent cables.
Dave

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”