Looking for XTS5000 QCII programming help

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Moneyrola
New User

Looking for XTS5000 QCII programming help

Post by Moneyrola »

I've done my due diligence with the search engine regarding the QCII tones, so I apologize if this has been asked already

I am trying to learn how to set up the QCII decoding (aka "Fire Tone Out") in an XTS5000, model III on VHF. This is using CPS 20.

H18KEH9PW7AN
5A0001-101306-4

As an FPP configured radios this has 15 zones of 16 channels of FPP personalities. As a result the first 240 personalities are locked (I can't delete them)
I added 241-255 and that was the upper limit of personalities.
I did that thinking that I need one individual personality for each specific QCII decode and therefore I'm limited to having 15 individual A-B tone decodes (one per personality) as well as no more than 15 scan lists.

For example, on zone 16, the first channel selected would unmute with Dispatch traffic and beep for a select call QCII and scan the longest scan list with EMS, Law and Fire.
Second channel might be police, and have no QCII used, and scan primary EMS dispatch and all the police channels.
Third channel selection might be fire's dispatch, so again, Scan the primary EMS Channel (QCII alert OR) and scan the fire ground channels.
Fourth would be a nighttime mode for paging, so the unmute is set to AND on the primary EMS channel.

Each of the four above personalities would have different rules.
1 has a longer scan list (1), QCII (1) with OR unmute
2 has a different scan list (2), no QCII
3 has yet a third scan list (3), QCII (1) with OR unmute
4 has no scan, and configured for AND unmute on a QCII (1)

I've downloaded and tried to understand other options from the codeplug supersite, and I just can't figure this out.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: Looking for XTS5000 QCII programming help

Post by escomm »

So what is your question here, exactly?
Moneyrola
New User

Post by Moneyrola »

escomm wrote:So what is your question here, exactly?
REALLY?
You took the time to ask me what is my question?

My question:
How do you set up QCII tones on an XTS5000, VHF in the Conventional Personalities?
diogini
New User

Post by diogini »

Are you still looking for assistance?
Moneyrola
New User

Post by Moneyrola »

I sure am !!!
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

What firmware version is in your radio?
Moneyrola
New User

Post by Moneyrola »

what's the keypad sequence to get to the firmware
I have the CPS but haven't found the firmware anyplace on the screens.
KG4INW
What radios do you own?: Not enough apparently!

Post by KG4INW »

To put the radio into Service Mode, press the double-dot side button 5 times within 10 seconds of successful power-up. Either read it quickly, or press the left arrow to pause the scrolling then the right arrow to advance to the next bit of info. Or, I believe if you read the codeplug directly from the radio (not from disk) then the firmware versions should display in CPS.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

KG4INW wrote:To put the radio into Service Mode, press the double-dot side button 5 times within 10 seconds of successful power-up. Either read it quickly, or press the left arrow to pause the scrolling then the right arrow to advance to the next bit of info. Or, I believe if you read the codeplug directly from the radio (not from disk) then the firmware versions should display in CPS.
Yup do as he says.
Moneyrola
New User

Post by Moneyrola »

Here you go

Host Version R20.00.10
DSP Version R19.50.00
Secure VER Secure ADP
Secure VER R05.07.15
KG1 DES-OFB
KG2 DES-XL

Model H18KEH9PW7AN
8 MEG

Flashcode
5A00001-101306-4
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Your firmware supports QCII. I am assuming you have set up your QCII tables and then you have to assign them to specfic personalities and in turn assign those personalities to the proper mode in the zone/mode assignments. How have you been trying to set them up?
Moneyrola
New User

Post by Moneyrola »

Because my radio has FPP it seems that I can only add from Personality 241 to 255. But yes, I have a personality, I think I associated this with a table. I guess I'm really not understanding the difference between a Quick Call List and a Quick Call System.
Philco7
New User

Post by Philco7 »

I have a XTS5000 UHF and never could get it to work with QCII. It would test on the bench no problem but in reality when the tones went out, it wouldn't decode and activate the pager. I kind of gave up on it, will probably sell. I don't think this is the best radio for QCII.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

Philco7 wrote:I have a XTS5000 UHF and never could get it to work with QCII. It would test on the bench no problem but in reality when the tones went out, it wouldn't decode and activate the pager. I kind of gave up on it, will probably sell. I don't think this is the best radio for QCII.
The tolerances for tone frequency and deviation are very tight in the Astro25 and APX radios. I was in the same boat as you a couple of years ago with an XTS5000... had everything programmed correctly but could never get it to open up. When conventional 2-tone decode for the APX came out those wouldn't work either, but a fleet of Minitors and Kenwood radios would alert and open squelch just fine. Came to find out that tone deviation from the console (Zetron) was slightly on the hot side, and after switching to MCC7500s with proper level adjustment everything alerts happily. So it's probably not the fault of your radio, but the infrastructure instead.

Return to “Radio Programming”