GR1225 Repeater not re-transmitting. . . .

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KC9MDQ
What radios do you own?: Motorola,Vertex, Kenwood

GR1225 Repeater not re-transmitting. . . .

Post by KC9MDQ »

OK, so I am at the whim of the Moto gods. I friend had given me a GR1225 UHF repeater ( said friend owns a radio shop) and said it "sort of works, but you can always use the parts". RX is fine, it transmits from the panel mic fine, but when retransmitting it only sends for a fraction of an instant and then drops. The drop is so fast that you can't hear it on the portable in your hand, but another radio tuned to the frequency will pick it up. It works just fine as a base station, so the transmitter is good. The finals may be bad, but I lack the necessary equipment to test it.

I don't believe that the supplied Zetron ZR-310 controller is the issue, as I have removed it and the repeater still does the same thing. I have noticed that when programming over the air, I am unable to hear confirmation/ error tones from the controller, so it may have issues as well. It does respond appropriately to knockdown setup codes and such. I'm thinking maybe no audio is getting in to the transmit side, maybe a bad COR or line voltage? I dunno. It hears great, it talks great when you plug a mic in.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this issue?
Powered by Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Doug
Batboard $upporter

Re: GR1225 Repeater not re-transmitting. . . .

Post by Doug »

An easy way to check if its a controller issue is to remove the controller cabling read and change the codeplug to internal controller instead of the external Zetron.
Doug
May the Schwarz be with you.
KC9MDQ

Post by KC9MDQ »

Unfortunately, at this time I have neither the RSS or the RIB and cables for this machine. I was attempting to see if I could get it operational before I added the expense of the RSS, et al. Any other thoughts?
turtle9832

Post by turtle9832 »

PM sent
d119

Post by d119 »

turtle9832 wrote:PM sent
Curious what was in that PM... That sort of thing doesn't help the rest of us learn.

Was the repeater TOT set to 1 second?
Will

Post by Will »

Is it really a R1225 or just a couple of Radius radios in the box.

When the R1225 is set for external so called controller it may not send repeat audio due to programming. So: step 1 read the radio and check the accessory potions settings.
turtle9832

Post by turtle9832 »

d119,

I was trying to help him with software issues, get him to read it, then look the codeplug over. I tried to point him to communications.support (but it didn't work out for him)

I was thinking what Will was thinking.

I didn't think of the tot set to 1 sec.

No disrespect to the house here, just wanted to discuss his software concerns and cables in the back.

If his M shop friend cant help him with cables, I offered to send mine to him to get him going.
d119

Post by d119 »

I kinda figured that was the case after I commented - no worries & good work!
turtle9832

Post by turtle9832 »

he's halfway home with regards to being able to read the radio. I told him to read the radio and report back to the thread.

Mike
KC9MDQ

Post by KC9MDQ »

Yep,
at this point I'm waiting for my cables to arrive with bated breath. I don't believe that the TOT is set for 1 second; although that may explain why there is a brief moment of clarity, but does not explain why it still transmits very weakly.

Yes, it is a real honest to God R1225 transceiver; I would have mentioned if it were a couple of GM300's crammed in there. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, i can't wait for my hardware to show up so I can dig into this thing.

Lastly, my apologies for the delayed response, I've been sort of busy lately. My boss went on vacation for two weeks which left me in the position of an acting facility administrator. Combine that with my FD stuff and (finally) getting my EMT license over the last week and you get one busy, tuckered out dude.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

No one has come right out and suggested to put a watt meter right on the output of the transmitter port.

Could be a transmitter problem or a duplexor issue. Last place to look is a bad piece of coax cable.

On the Spectra radios, I have found the mini RF connector center pin has been damaged on some radios and does not make a good connection. You can prove this by pushing the cable to one side or another with the locking ring not real tight. There is a way to attempt to fix this, but not for the rookie to attempt.

Jim
KC9MDQ

Post by KC9MDQ »

The wattmeter is a good idea. I'm lacking one however, and also the service manual. On the R1225 is the transmit connector on the forward or the rear end? I'm completely ghetto on this job; I need so much test equipment that it's scary.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, everyone. I really appreciate it. I know I probably should have spent the big bucks on a genuine /\/\ cable for it, but I ordered one of those Asian cables. I'm basically trying not to tie too much money into this project since I got it for free. It would be stellar if I can get it on the air though, as I have about twenty Vertex VX-800U's that were also donated.
Will

Post by Will »

The Transmitter coax cable connector is on the back of the R1225 chassis along with the power and 16 pin ACCY connectors.

The receiver antenna connector is on the front, along with the 'control head' connector.
KC9MDQ

Post by KC9MDQ »

Just an update for those interested. . . . Still waiting on my cables to arrive. I can't wait to dive into the program and see what's what. Will report back after investigating.