Programming a remote head XPR 5550

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KCOEM 9103
New User

Programming a remote head XPR 5550

Post by KCOEM 9103 »

I installed a 5550 that was programmed by someone else prior to it getting a remote head kit. It has been installed for about a year, and the user needs to reprogram the radio. He is using the programming cable that utilizes the mic port but is getting a no connectivity error on CPS. I am assuming the 5550 is still programmable even when remotely mounted. Can someone confirm? Thanks in advance
EindhovenOne
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTS5K, 2500, XPR7550

Re: Programming a remote head XPR 5550

Post by EindhovenOne »

I am surprised you didn't get a reply to this already.

On the radio unit itself, there are two plugs. One where the remote head cable plugs in, and another that is a standard USB Type B plug (like the almost square one but with beveled corners - usually come with printers). All you need is a USB-B to USB-A (standard USB like on a thumb drive) cable add plug the B-type end into the local radio, not the remote head, and the A-type end into his computer. It doesn't need to be any type of proprietary Motorola USB cable, it is a standard USB-B >>>> USB-A cable (you could in fact just use a printer cable just like this). He should have no problem then.
Facta, Non Verba. Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Interesting, I don't recall my 5550 having a USB connector. Regardless, I can program mine just fine using a GCAI cable into the mic jack on the remote head. I now have Bluetooth configured, and just program it that way.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

The TIB for the HHCH has a USB-B socket
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

escomm wrote:The TIB for the HHCH has a USB-B socket
Ok... HHCH - but not the standard remote kit, using the normal head, right? Or did I totally overlook a connector on my radio...
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

No you're right it's only the HHCH TIB that has the B socket

Standard control head is simply the GCAI jack
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

escomm wrote:No you're right it's only the HHCH TIB that has the B socket

Standard control head is simply the GCAI jack
Even more confusing... some remote kits apparently have a GCAI on the TIB as well as the one on the head... for instance:
http://gencom.com.au/home/images/storie ... _xa-en.jpg

But not all. All the ones I've ordered only have the DB25 on the TIB.

I love Moto!
tztop10
What radios do you own?: HT1250 EX600XLS CDM1250 CP200

Post by tztop10 »

For my XPR I have a cable for back and front, both go into US and get recognized as a network device and works from the remote head

Return to “Radio Programming”