Motorola GP328 programing

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Doug59
New User

Motorola GP328 programing

Post by Doug59 »

I would like to know how to tune in a Motorola GP 328 mini. I travel a lot and need to be able to tune it in to different frequency's.
Jim202

Re: Motorola GP328 programing

Post by Jim202 »

Doug59 wrote:I would like to know how to tune in a Motorola GP 328 mini. I travel a lot and need to be able to tune it in to different frequency's.

The question here is programming the radio rather than tuning the radio. When you need to tune a radio, it's to adjust a number of things like frequency, modulation and squelch setting. Programming the radio sets the frequency, squelch type and scanning among other things.

Hope this helps clear up the selection of words when your trying to do different things to your radio.

You will need to obtain the software from Motorola that contains both the tuning software and the frequency setting software. The software typically runs from about $250 to $350 depending on the radio. Some radio software Motorola doesn't like to sell to individuals. The software for your radio should not fall into that category. Others will correct me if I am wrong and provide the part number of the software and the exact cost.

If you do decide to try to obtain the software, Motorola will require you to sign a licensing agreement before they will ever go forward in sending you the software. It can take some time to get the steps all worked through.

You will also need to purchase a programming cable to be able to talk to the radio with a computer. I have not tried to obtain one of those cables, so not sure what the cost might be. My guess is that it would be someplace in the range of $100 to $150 each. Again there are others on here that can provide the exact price and part number to order it with.

Jim
SteveC0625
What radios do you own?: CDM's, CP's, CM's, and more

Re: Motorola GP328 programing

Post by SteveC0625 »

Doug59 wrote:I would like to know how to tune in a Motorola GP 328 mini. I travel a lot and need to be able to tune it in to different frequency's.
In addition to Jim202's good info, the GP328 is an Asian-Pacific product, and uses a different version of the CPS than we here in the US use.

If you are located in that region, you will have to purchase the software through Motorola's Asian-Pacific marketing arm.

I'd also point out that the GP328 programming software has a bit of a stiff learning curve, and if you have never programmed a radio before, it may be more of a challenge than you think.

If you have a fixed number of frequencies that you need in the radio, any good Motorola radio shop can program it for you. Here in the US, conventional programming starts at about $30 per radio and goes up from there based on complexity and number of channels desired.

Return to “Radio Programming”