MTR2000 no TX repeat audio

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

VE3TUH
What radios do you own?: more than I should...

MTR2000 no TX repeat audio

Post by VE3TUH »

Hello Guys. I have several MTR2000's, vhf, in hamster service. They have proven to be a pretty reliable machine and I really like them. I just had one fail with no repeated tx audio. The problem appears to be the control board, swapped it out, retuned and all is good. I would like to try to fix this controller, anybody have any experience with this failure, if its a common issue I could use a hint as to where to start looking. Thanks!
d119

Re: MTR2000 no TX repeat audio

Post by d119 »

Since there is little to no public documentation or schematics on this particular stuff, good luck... And I don't mean to come off as a jerk. These are some of the hardest stations to work on due to the lack of publicly accessible documentation.
VE3TUH

Post by VE3TUH »

The schematics are in the service manual. I have the manual, but it will not be an easy task to repair, its a pretty complicated unit. Which is why I was wondering if anybody else has any experience with it. I did some testing and found that the local mic audio is also muted, which should help to isolate the fault a bit.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Really? You have schematics?
gtriever

Post by gtriever »

Bill_G wrote:Really? You have schematics?
<echo> Yeah, really?
VE3TUH

Post by VE3TUH »

The disbelief is almost insulting.

Service Manual, complete with schematics 68P81096E40-O
Instruction Manual 68P81096E30-A
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Sorry. The incredulity is because I've attempted to obtain a full service manual for the MTR2K, MOT refused to fulfill the order.
VE3TUH

Post by VE3TUH »

I dont know. I didnt realize what a gem I apparently have here. It is how I figured out how to trick the 100 watt pa into thinking it was a 40 watt, getting full freq range, but lower power out of it. guess I'll dive into the controller when I have time, cant do any harm, and possibly fix the tx audio issue. I wonder if you tried to obtain the 2 part numbers mentioned above?
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Well, it has been years. As these things fall into the legacy support category, it would probably be wise to get a manual. Thanks for the part numbers.
gtriever

Post by gtriever »

I'll echo Bill again. I didn't know such an animal actually existed (MTR manual w/ schematics). Thanks for the part numbers!
kb8poo
New User

Post by kb8poo »

Had this same "no TX repeat Audio" problem before but was able to fix with station alignment. Read code plug and looked at TX DBM level which was
set to zero DBM for 4-wire wireline config. Increased the TX DBM by 2 and wrote codeplug back to station, TX repeat audio working now but audio level was too high, over deviation. Changed TX audio back to the original zero DMB and TX repeat audio was working normal again.

Not sure what really caused the problem, seems like it was more of a software issue than a hardware problem.
VE3TUH

Post by VE3TUH »

Thanks, I never thought to try a codeplug rewrite. I'll give it a shot.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Bill_G wrote:Well, it has been years. As these things fall into the legacy support category, it would probably be wise to get a manual. Thanks for the part numbers.
They don't show up on MOL. The manuals and part numbers have always existed, but not available to dealers or the general public. Limited to internal M depots and probably Fed repair facilities. Why let a dealer do a $50 repair when you can force them to buy a $2500 FRU, amiright?
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

wavetar wrote:
Bill_G wrote:Well, it has been years. As these things fall into the legacy support category, it would probably be wise to get a manual. Thanks for the part numbers.
They don't show up on MOL. The manuals and part numbers have always existed, but not available to dealers or the general public. Limited to internal M depots and probably Fed repair facilities. Why let a dealer do a $50 repair when you can force them to buy a $2500 FRU, amiright?
Well, unlike the old days when customers would hang on to Motracs for 20 years, have five different versions of them, plus some Mastr Pro's, a couple Johnsons, maybe a Midland, a Uniden, and a handful of Wilson/Regencys, when people swap out their MTR2k's, we never see it again. I can only think of two customers with MTR2K. Everyone else has upgraded to MTR3K, GTR, or Tait TB8x and TB9x base stations. So, the manual shelf is slowly emptying out.
VE3TUH

Post by VE3TUH »

Thanks kb8poo. The station alignment worked. Never thought to try that, as it was inservice and working when it failed, but doing the procedure on it restored the tx audio.

Randy

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”