MTR2000 boot problem

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

MTR2000 boot problem

Post by kf4sqb »

Searched the board, didn't find anything relating to my particular problem. We (the volly FD I run with) have a VHF MTR2000 that will not boot properly. When power is applied, it will sometimes give two or three "cycles" of all indicators on the controller lighting for 1-1.5 seconds, then turning off for around 2 seconds, then the "alarm" indicator will flash between red and green continuously; while at other times it will go straight to the red/green alternating flash. This radio was a working unit (served as our main county fire repeater for 14 departments for several years) when pulled from service around a year and a half ago for an equipment upgrade. The unit has sat at our station since being pulled. We tried to start setting it up a few days ago to replace our much older department repeater, and ran into this problem. We did reprogram it shortly after getting it, and played with it a bit then (worked fine), but haven't messed with it since until a few days ago. With it in this condition, it is, for all intents and purposes, dead. It will do nothing, including reading/writing with RSS. Our setup is a CLN1220 500 watt AC mains power supply with an outboard automatic battery switch-over, CLN1465B controller, CLN1466B receiver, CLD1200B exciter, and TTD1792B PA. The problem occurs on mains or battery power. Unfortunately, we do not have a service manual. Any ideas where to start checking? Thanks!
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
d119

Re: MTR2000 boot problem

Post by d119 »

Is there any auxiliary equipment attached to any of the accessory connectors, or is the station "virgin"?
kf4sqb

Post by kf4sqb »

There is a MRTI1000 phone patch connected. The patch wasn't part of the original install; we hooked it up after we got it to our station. Originally worked fine with the patch. After it failed, we've tried it both with and without the patch, with the same results. While searching for info on the board about the problem, I came across a post where someone mentioned that there have been problems before with reading, editing the codeplug, and writing it back to the radio. The problem described in that post wasn't quite the same as the problem we are having, though. Considering that I did read, edit, then write, do you think this could have something to do with it? Could be a problem, if so. It won't let me read or write as it currently sits, and the post I found that info in said that the unit could usually be recovered by writing a new codeplug from scratch with the RSS, then loading it.

escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Yeah, make a new codeplug first and see what happens
kf4sqb

Post by kf4sqb »

How would I go about loading it? This problem appears to be much like an X9000 or Spectra with a Fail 01/90; it seems to be locked up. Can't read or write.

kb8poo
New User

Post by kb8poo »

When the station boots up, serial communications between the SCM (station control module) and receiver, exciter, PA, and if installed wireline, aux I/O boards takes place. If all comms are good and device status messages are good the green status LED will be ON, station is ready, red LED ON if station SCM detects an error status in one or more of the communicating devices. If station continually resets this is an indication of comm failure between the SCM and communicating devices and station reboots to try comms again and again. This could be the SCM itself or any one of the serial connected devices, back plane board, or power supply. First check the 2 fuses located on the rear of the back plane board just right of the 96 pin connector, you may have to remove the screw of the connector retaining bracket that acts as a cover over the fuses to see the fuses. If not the fuses try disconnecting one end of the ribbon cable from back plane to the PA module then power up station, station should boot to the red LED ON if PA is comm problem. If not PA try removing wireline or aux board and power up station, as before station will boot to red LED ON if one of these boards is comm problem. This is about as far as you can go unless you have a source of replacement FRU's to try further substitution.
VE3TUH
What radios do you own?: more than I should...

Post by VE3TUH »

I am thinking it needs its firmware reloaded, red/green flashing is what it does when in firmware upload mode. Any chance you know what its current firmware ver is? I did once get a SCM recovered from this scenerio by updating its firmware.

Randy

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”