ROIP-102

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Forum rules
Share your enhancements here! What is not permitted is the discussion regarding adding features (aka flash options) which you can still purchase from Motorola for current subscriber products including discussion regarding Depot on current products.
knutfinn
New User

ROIP-102

Post by knutfinn »

Anyone have any success connecting these units to mobile radios?

Knut
RFguy

Re: ROIP-102

Post by RFguy »

Looks simple enough. Are you talking about the physical connection?

PETNRDX
What radios do you own?: Too many

Post by PETNRDX »

The physical connection should be easy.
The problem everyone seems to have is getting two of these to "communicate" with each other.
I have been working on a pair of them.
I can get into the Web style setup screens, but no amount of fussing around with settings seems to get them to work with each other.
Anybody have any helpful hints on these?
Steve K.
MaxK98
What radios do you own?: Lots of Motorola!

Post by MaxK98 »

Are they SIP based? Do you need a PBX invetween the units? Are you trough a VPN / LAN or opening SIP and RTP ports ?
PETNRDX

Post by PETNRDX »

They claim to be SIP based, but they also claim that they can be connected peer to peer.
I am working on them on my bench, thru a HUB, thru a SWITCH, and thru a crossover cable.
Just connecting the two ROiP 102's and noting else.
Can connect to them on their PC port, and change settings, etc.
But NO data ever comes out of the WLAN port.
I am feeding audio into them with my TIMS, and taking audio out of the other end also to my TIMS.
Using a toggle switch to simulate COR, and DVM to "read" the PTT out.
NOTHING happens, with hundreds of attempts, changing settings.
Even got an Email from DBLTEK support with an attachment of what the settings "should be" for peer to peer.
Better "chinglish" but still worthless.
Steve K.
Wiregeek

Post by Wiregeek »

Wish I had a couple of these to play with, I love this sort of thing. How much did your pair run you?
PETNRDX

Post by PETNRDX »

Another guy actually bought them, but I think they were something like $130 each.
Steve K.
Kicoman
New User

Post by Kicoman »

Did you ever get them to work?
PETNRDX

Post by PETNRDX »

No.
Nor have I found anyone else that says they have them working.
There is a guy that is working on some, he thinks he has them passing audio, but no signalling.
Will update when we get final result.
So far does NOT look promising at all.
Steve K.
ASRM
New User

Post by ASRM »

Does DBLTek offer any assistance on this?

I like the idea of combining 2 systems via IP.
PETNRDX

Post by PETNRDX »

DBLTEK help is worthless in my opinion.
Just my opinion here, but it appears to me that their product and "help" borders on fraud.
We recently did get a pair of them to work.
Not because of any help by DBLTEK, but by persistence and a REALLY good network guy. (good friend of mine).
The first clue for any of you that have these is that if you bought the little "breakout" board they supply with the two POTS and screw terminals is that the cable they send with it WILL NEVER WORK.
It has one end crimped on backwards, so instead of being a straight thru cable it is a "flipped" cable.
So, the connections coming out of the ROIP to the little board are not connected to where they need to be.
The product CAN NOT WORK AS DELIVERED.
If you trace those out, you can see if you cut the RJ connector off and crimp a new one on "upside down" then you have a chance of making them work.
Running a test on these now, and they do seem to work OK.
Audio is not great, but better than most EchoLink setups I hear.
I really do like the concept of being able to put one of these at each end of an IP link, and just connect your favorite radios and they will "link" over IP.
I plan to connect an RLC-4 repeater controller at one end and "remote" a pair of GM300's ( Like a GR 300) at the other end just to test out how well these might work.
Will post the settings needed to get these to talk to each other soon.
Just busy with lots of stuff like most of the folks on here.
Steve K.
ASRM
New User

Post by ASRM »

Thank you Steve for the reply and the results you achieved.

We have 2 areas of operation, one in Central IL and another in the Gurney IL area, we run a single user digital repeater (P25) system in CI and looking at using a community repeater up north, bonding them together would help things at times.

So it looks like it would function, but would require some re-engineering. Sounds like they used a CrossOver cable or it needs a crossover cable? These are RJ45's I assume?

Again great write up. Bookmarking as a possible project.
PETNRDX

Post by PETNRDX »

If you are thinking of linking P25 with these, that won't work.
If you plan to use these things you would have to run mixed mode on your P25 and do analog to analog.
And I have a pair of these ROIP-102's running right now with "duplex" radios at each end.
The 102's are working OK, but the audio is not great. Good enuf, for the testing I want to do, but for a permanent setup, I would want the match the audio better.
Way too much treble. Probably just a case of impedance mismatch going to and from the ROIPs to the GM300's I am testing with.
The other thing I am seeing is that these only do one direction at a time.
So, it *MIGHT* be that they will only be single direction.
For example a simplex or a half-duplex radio at each end (think subscriber radio) works fine but you have to wait for the "far" end to stop sending before you can send from this end.
Whichever "end" gets the COR/PTT function holds that until dropout.
Then the other end can capture COR/PTT to send back.
That is the way it is looking right now.
Still testing.
Steve K.
PETNRDX

Post by PETNRDX »

Forgot to mention, the current testing is over IP microwave link monitoring a busy VHF repeater.
So VHF receiver into the ROIP-102, across IP microwave to the second RIOP-102 out to a UHF GM300 transmitter.
Going "back the other way" is another UHF GM300 across the ROIPs and IP to a third UHF GM300.
Doing this testing on ham bands, and using my UHF coordinated freqs to make sure I can't lock up somebody's system if anything goes goofy.
Next part of the test will be inserting an RLC-4 repeater controller.
Just trying to prove out whether or not these are worth fooling with.
Steve K.
PETNRDX

Post by PETNRDX »

Is anyone interested in the settings we used to get these working?
Honestly, they would not be bad for simple linking. Not great, but not terrible either.
My opinion, but they would not be worth the retail price to me.
But, I would use them for some simple linking of secondary and experimental stuff if I could find them at more like $20 each.
Steve K.
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

I have a customer looking for a simple remote control of a base station via an IP (Internet) link. I looked at a pair of NXU's (one at each end), but price is a bit too steep for them.

They mostly only care about receive, with a very occasional TX.

I wounder if the ROIP-102 might work. One at the base station and one at their office with a local remote deskset on it.

Has anyone used this in this type of application?

Thanks
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

You can use a single NXU2A at the radio, and link to it with PCNXU available at the JPS site as a free download. They would just use their laptop or PC to talk over the radio. The other option is a Barix.
PETNRDX

Post by PETNRDX »

I would not recommend these to a customer.

They really are experimenter grade stuff.

The audio quality thru them is not great, and the are just too flaky.
Steve K.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Barix Annucicom 100 used by the railroad to control radios over Verizon / Cradlepointe. $395 for the Barix. Pretty DIY, but audio sounds great.

http://www.ip-audio.com/audio/annuncicom100.php
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

PETNRDX wrote:I would not recommend these to a customer.

They really are experimenter grade stuff.

The audio quality thru them is not great, and the are just too flaky.
Great, this is exactly what I'm looking for. Some real world experience to same me a bunch of grief.
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

Bill_G wrote:Barix Annucicom 100 used by the railroad to control radios over Verizon / Cradlepointe. $395 for the Barix. Pretty DIY, but audio sounds great.

http://www.ip-audio.com/audio/annuncicom100.php
Thanks, I'll look at this as an option.
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

Bill_G wrote:You can use a single NXU2A at the radio, and link to it with PCNXU available at the JPS site as a free download. They would just use their laptop or PC to talk over the radio. The other option is a Barix.
Thanks. They prefer not to use a computer. I thought about that and MIP5000. It's fairly economical for a single channel unit, but they want a simple deskset.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

RFguy wrote:
Bill_G wrote:You can use a single NXU2A at the radio, and link to it with PCNXU available at the JPS site as a free download. They would just use their laptop or PC to talk over the radio. The other option is a Barix.
Thanks. They prefer not to use a computer. I thought about that and MIP5000. It's fairly economical for a single channel unit, but they want a simple deskset.
Well, if you have a good enough network connection, you can do good old fashioned tone control over Barix. They were meant for studio quality audio. I learned about them from friends in broadcast that used them as their STL to ship program audio. Quite musical. But, they don't offer any help how to achieve that. You just have figure out how to do it by drilling through the web interface, and experimenting.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

If I can interject a comment about audio. Most of the Motorola radios have a fixed RX audio output. This does not change with the volume control and is at a lower level than what you will get off of the speaker connections. It is a much better point to obtain the receiver audio. But it is not filtered and you will see the PL tone coming through if I remember correctly. I also remember that there is a DC bias voltage on this line, so you will need to use a coupling capacitor to block the DC voltage. Believe we used something in the order of a 1 uf. capacitor. Audio sounded good doing this.

This is the connection we used when I worked for the radio interoperability company some years back. It worked great for their application. Then you can use the aux TX audio input to the second radio and control the audio level with the gain control in the software of the transmitting radio.

You will have to come up with some sort of keying circuit to be able to key up the transmitting radio as normally there is no clear COR that you can obtain a pull to ground that will key up the transmitting radio. In the Interoperability gateways, there was a software VOX circuit that generated the required keying line to ground.

Jim

Return to “Experimental - Mods, and how to do things a little out of the box”