XTL2500 vs XTL5000 vs APX7000 - Your Opinion Wanted!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

wa8iqo
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links
What radios do you own?: Motorola XTL5000 & XTS5000

XTL2500 vs XTL5000 vs APX7000 - Your Opinion Wanted!

Post by wa8iqo »

I've out grown my current ASTRO Spectra's capabilities of 255 modes. So, I've decided to upgrade and purchase an newer used radio. I'm debating between the XTL2500 and the XTL5000. The intended use for the radio is within the ham band only.This may sound a little 'naive but 'Im leaning towards the XTL2500 as I like the all black control head better then the black and grey of the XTL5000.

I've done some looking on eBay and found that the 110 versions are very close in price. Ranging from $1000 to $1500 for compleat package. The only varying factor is a DTMF Microphone of around $200+/-. I also viewed the Motorola's spec sheet on the twos. Only thing that stands out to me is the number of modes - 512 on the XTL2500 and 1000 on the XTL5000.

So, my question is: What is really the difference between the two other then the number of modes for my intended use?

Now on the flip side I want both a VHF and a UHf radio. If I'm going to drop $2000-$2,500 on two XTL's, way not save my pennies and little longer and just get a dual band APX7000 for around $3,300?

What would you do and why?

Thanks for your thoughts...
Brad - WA8IQO
Jim1348

XTL2500 Vs XTL5000 Vs APX7000 - Your Opinion Wanted!

Post by Jim1348 »

Is the number of channels that you can scan at a time important to you?
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Re: XTL2500 vs XTL5000 vs APX7000 - Your Opinion Wanted!

Post by spectragod »

I don't see why you couldn't buy a pair of XTL's for less than 1k, way less than a APX.
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Post by wa8iqo »

Scanning is not too important. The total number of modes and zones is...
I want to put every Florida repeater in the code plug separated by county. Each county will be a zone with anywhere from 1 to 30 frequencies per zone. There are just under 70 counties in Florida. I think I will will need more the 500 modes but less then 1000. This is just a rough guess as I still working out the programming list. Most repeaters are wide band analogue but there is becoming a large number of digital P25 ones as well.
Brad - WA8IQO
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

wa8iqo wrote:Scanning is not too important. The total number of modes and zones is...
I want to put every Florida repeater in the code plug separated by county. Each county will be a zone with anywhere from 1 to 30 frequencies per zone. There are just under 70 counties in Florida. I think I will will need more the 500 modes but less then 1000. This is just a rough guess as I still working out the programming list. Most repeaters are wide band analogue but there is becoming a large number of digital P25 ones as well.

I run an XTL5000 in my truck on VHF. As I travel around the country frequently, it fits my needs well. But I use the scan to be able to see what activity there is on the programmed channels. One point to remember is you only get to have 15 channels in the scan list. But you can have a 16th channel selected by the frequency knob that the radio will listen to as well as the other 15 channels (modes). My radio is set up to use zones. I set the zone to the location the frequencies are for a given region or area I am in. The radio will hold a max of 50 zones. In my case each zone has between 8 and 15 channels (modes).

When I was living in Virginia, the radio was set up for all the ham repeaters between there and southern New Hampshire along my route of travel. Now that I am living in Louisiana, I have the repeaters between Mobile and Ft. Worth, TX. set into the radio. The nice thing about the programming software is you can save the codeplugs as a file. Then if you need to change the area your going into, you can load a different codeplug. This way you will never run out of the channel ability you need. In your case, you might want to split your codeplug for different regions of the state. Like north south or what ever it takes. Then just change the codeplug as needed for your travels. The software does give you the ability to put different names on the file you save. So it is easy to save and recall the file you need. i also put a date on the file name so I can tell which is the most recent version as I do make changes frequently.

On the subject of frequent file changes, this is due to changes being made to the frequency and or tone needed to trip off the repeaters. Over the years I have found that finding the required CTCSS tone required by the repeaters is almost impossible to find for some repeaters. The different databases available on the internet are not correct in many cases. So if I find an active repeater that I can't key up, I ask about it on other repeaters. Eventually you can find the correct information. Then go into the codeplug and update the new information and program it into your radio.

I also use the Del Lorme Street Atlas program to plot the individual repeaters onto the map and save it. this way I can have a visual map that I can print for the region i will be in. Over the many years I have been doing this, I have slowly filled in the map to cover the area between southern New Hampshire all the way down to the New Orleans area. Then over to Oklahoma City and back down to Ft. Worth.

To answer your original question about the difference between the XTL2500 and the XTL5000 is the number of modes (channels) and the number of encryption keys the radio can hold. I don't think you will be running encryption, so that point is moot.

One other comment to pass along, I have a VHF Spectra radio with the W9 or A9 (depending on your background as to what some people call them) control head also in my truck. As the Spectra is a wide band radio only, it is used on the 2 meter ham band. But I so have the Spectra set up with zones also. Being a member of the local fire department, I use the XTL5000 on the fire frequencies when I am at home and the Spectra for my local ham repeaters. I use 1/4 wave whip antennas for both radios.

Jim
tuckerm

Post by tuckerm »

XTL 5000s can take the new, black O5 heads that are compatible with the APX.
Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.
wa8iqo

Post by wa8iqo »

Thanks for the great detailed response Jim. Sounds like your currently using your radio in the manor I'm looking to do. I think your right, I may have to break the zones down into regions. I didn't realize the number of zones would be limited. Thanks for the heads up as I will plan ahead with organizing the code plug.

On another note. Iv seen the Motorola spec sheet showing two XTL5000's units connected together using only one control head. Can this be done with any XTL5000 or only a specific models/version. A VHF/UHF radio with a single head would be the preferred setup for my application.
Brad - WA8IQO
tuckerm

Post by tuckerm »

They can be, but not with O series heads.
Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

The 2500, & the 5000 are electronically the same. The 5000 has a few more features from the factory. I was looking for a 5000, but the seller only had a 2500. But he "somehow" turned it into a 5000 with his laptop. I also prefer the black control head. It was $450, & still NIB. GARY
N4DES-old
New User

Post by N4DES-old »

You will find that an XTL2500 with updated FW will do 870 modes. That might help the cause.
wa8iqo

Post by wa8iqo »

Thanks for the input. I purchased XTL5000's yesterday...
Brad - WA8IQO

Return to “ASTRO25 Series (XTS/XTL 1500/2500/5000) Subscribers”