Visar- narrow band?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

JRUTA
What radios do you own?: APX6k Visar

Visar- narrow band?

Post by JRUTA »

Is the Visar capable? (VHF D series)

Thanks John
wavetar
Administrator

Re: Visar- narrow band?

Post by wavetar »

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it is, since it uses a Jedi RF board, and HT1000 RSS.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
d119

Post by d119 »

Yes it is.
JRUTA

Post by JRUTA »

Thanks all.
Satelite

Post by Satelite »

Hello:
I was thinking but not sure here but wasn't the visar ordered as narrow band or wide band so if it was ordered as wide band its always a wide band unless components changed ?
I know for a fact the GP300 was ordered one or the other and was not by rss programmed one or the otheras an option per rss.
Now the P1225 was able to do wide band or narrow band by program as it did both wb and nb.
But thought the visar was one or the other not both available by programming as the 1225 was.
So was the visar able to do narrow band and or wide band like the 1225 was able to do ?
Satelite
KG4INW
What radios do you own?: Not enough apparently!

Post by KG4INW »

No, always programmable, on a per-channel basis. I want to say only the later revisions could do "splinter" frequencies but they've always been NB-able (2.5 kHz deviation).
d119

Post by d119 »

That is correct. It was considered one of the "high tier" radios, and is for all intents and purposes identical in operation to an HT1000.

The "Radius" line, that the GP300 falls into, was considered a "budget" radio, and was only available in one bandwidth or the other. The "Big Sell" on the 1225 series was that it was "programmable bandwidth".

Little known to the non-Radius users that the higher tier radios had been doing that for years already.
JRUTA

Post by JRUTA »

Thanks D119 and everyone.
JRUTA

Post by JRUTA »

eBay had a high capacity aftermarket but my order was CXLD by the seller. Meh
JRUTA

Post by JRUTA »

Slim battery...
train_radio_guy

Post by train_radio_guy »

d119,

Does the Visar use a different programming cable, than the other Jedi-Series Radios (i.e. HT-1000, JT-1000, etc...)? It's been close to 20 years since I've handled one, and couldn't remember if they had the same speaker-mic connector.

Thanks,

trg, 8)
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing!" - Sledge Hammer
JRUTA

Post by JRUTA »

Nope. Different side connector.
d119

Post by d119 »

That's correct. The VISAR has it's own screwball accessory connector with it's own screwball programming cable, screwball speaker mic (it's a little thing with the PTT on the front!), etc.

The physical form factor of the radio would not permit a JEDI-style connector to even fit on the radio.

Good news is that the contacts are recessed, so you could pull a highschool-type (I call it that because that's what I used to do back when I was in HS and broke) "hold the wires on there" type programming arrangement and not have too much trouble. They read and write fairly quickly.
train_radio_guy

I only mentioned this because a friend has some old Visars, and might be getting rid of them. I don't know the condition of the batteries, but if the radios work, I may have a used for them. The swing vote was the programming cable. I've programmed the other Jedi-Series Radios (HT1000, JT1000, etc...), so I've got the standard programming cable for them, but I don't have the Visar cable. I guess the next thing is to shop around for the Visar's programming cable. If the price is reasonable, and the source is reputable, I may make the leap.

Thanks for the follow-up!

- trg, 8)
JRUTA

Post by JRUTA »

I know the aftermarket ribless cables are cheap on fleabay, maybe 15 bucks? Although I can't speak of the quality, never bought one.
W3AXL
What radios do you own?: an unhealthy amount of them

Post by W3AXL »

You can get the Visar RIB cable on ebay. I've never used the ribless cables for the visar, but they work for the HT1000 which as we've said is basically the same radio so you should be fine.
train_radio_guy

Good to know. As rule, I try to stay away from the ribless cables. Too many good radios get bricked thanks in large part to those 'quality' ribless cables on fleabay. Do you happen to have the Motorola Part #, for the stand programming cable, for the Visar?
Satelite

Post by Satelite »

Hello:
I looked at the visar models info here on batlabs and I think I'm right but here goes.
I do have 3ct VHF 16ch visars all model number HO5KDD9AA4AN
Ok if I got this right this model as all visars do Will do 12.5 narrow band and 25 wide band both as is from factory.
But the splinter freqs I gather this particular model I have WILL NOT do the splinter freqs = Is this what you all think too?
I need to grab the visar program cable and go into the programming of one of them and take a look.
Been so long since I last repaired or messed with one that I'm not up to speed like I was 10 years back on these.
I hung on to the 3 visars since they came in for trade and looked pretty well taken care of no missing knobs antennas good and no scratches chips gouges and well looked maybe not new but polish em up a bit and theyd look new and they all worked great.
The 3 visars came with at the time good batterys and 2ct belt carry cases and two desk top dual bank chargers everything works.
Thought id someday use them on the 2 meter hanm band since the freq spread was 136 to 178 MHz as I recall.
Ill see if a battery takes a chg to power one up and find my visar cable and take a peak next few days.
But the model number I posted = Do you feel it is or is not able to do splinter freqs?
Satelite
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

Just the 'D' revisions will do 2.5 KHz resolution necessary to access the 7.5 KHz spaced splinter channels. Different controllers, just like the HT1000.
Satelite

Post by Satelite »

Hello:
Well shoot I'm going to have to say this as a fact in my testing I just did.
The Visar model number HO5KDD9AA4AN does do all the 12.5 freqs even the new added freqs per my testing just now.
Yes I did find where you could set a channels as narrow band or wide band on a per ch basis so you could mix 12.5 nb and 25 wb freqs in same radio if you needed to.
I tried both nb and wb settings and my service monitor agrees the radio is working as programmed per nb or wb setting.
Ok heres where things got interesting.
I programmed marine freq 156.475 as 25 kHz wide band and ran testing per the service monitor and radio passed specs.
Then added 12.5 kHz to the 156.475 freq and got 156.48750 as the next 12.5 narrow band freq step in line going up in ch.
Programmed radio as 12.5 nb and freq 156.48750 and tested and again radio passed testing.
So are you referring to a splinter ch freq as 6.25 kHz as in 156.475 plus 6.25 for freq of 156.48125 ?
And if so where would you use that step in todays VHF or UHF radios ?
Appears to me the earliest A version is everything you could want and need.
Am I missing something here ?
Satelite
Satelite

Post by Satelite »

Hello:
I posted a bit too soon and realized after i was 20 miles down the road that yes splinter freqs are used but not in vhf and uhf but are used in the 800 and 900 MHz visars.
My brain forgot about the 800 and 900 models - Oooops!
Satelite

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”