xtl2500 Firmware update

Moderator: Queue Moderator

OCSD117
was RPDM313
What radios do you own?: XTL2500, APX3000, APX7000

xtl2500 Firmware update

Post by OCSD117 »

I have an xtl2500 mid power with really old (R6.02.01) FW. Whats the best way to bump it up?
Model M21KSM9PW1AN
Carlwood Lipton: [real life interview with Lipton where he recites a quote from William Shakespeare] From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.
N4DES
was KS4VT
What radios do you own?: APX,XTS2500,XTL2500,XTL1500

Re: xtl2500 Firmware update

Post by N4DES »

With the latest Motorola FW, refresh dongle with available flashes, and OEM programming cable (preferably serial).
OCSD117
was RPDM313

Post by OCSD117 »

I get that part I was more wondering if I can go from 6 to current?
Carlwood Lipton: [real life interview with Lipton where he recites a quote from William Shakespeare] From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Yes. You do not need to update in steps. That was never true.
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

He most likely will have to go in steps, anything below 8.xx.xx a USB cable won't work, he will have to use a rs232 for the first fw bump. Then a USB for the rest.

Side note,
A buddy of mine just bought a pm1500 off this board, allegedly un-flashable according to the guy who owned it, who had flashed dozens of radios, called himself a tech....whatever.

And it wouldn't go from 8.xx to 20.xx in one shot, but it went to 10.xx, then 14.xx and then to 20.xx and aligned wonderfully. Best $200 for a radio he ever spent.

And yes, I have flashed literally thousands, 3814 to be exact, I have some wheel time doing flash upgrades, everything is dependent on what your starting with.
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

was RPDM313

Post by OCSD117 »

I only have access to the latest FW
JeffFireRadio

Post by JeffFireRadio »

Agree with spectragod on the stepping.

Btw, that was me on the PM1500. Glad it worked for your friend. I tried to step that radio numerous times in small increments, not the whole enchilada, with numerous computers, cables, etc. It came close, but couldn't seal the deal. I've been flashing copious radios for a decade as a Federal, state, and local system manager, a school-trained tech, and Motorola-trained XTL and XTS Schaumburg grad. Don't be so pious, my friend.
spectragod

Post by spectragod »

JeffFireRadio wrote:Agree with spectragod on the stepping.

Btw, that was me on the PM1500. Glad it worked for your friend. I tried to step that radio numerous times in small increments, not the whole enchilada, with numerous computers, cables, etc. It came close, but couldn't seal the deal. I've been flashing copious radios for a decade as a Federal, state, and local system manager, a school-trained tech, and Motorola-trained XTL and XTS Schaumburg grad. Don't be so pious, my friend.
The caveat to that radio was I had to use a xtl head as a pass through. I've been to Scamburg too, got tired of instructing the instructor. It didn't seem like a good use of gov't monies for me to teach them and pay.

As far as CVN files, I had the forethought to keep all of those from about 7.xx on, it come in handy for flashing problem children radios.

Sorry if I came off as a know it all, I never saw the thread, my buddy told me that the guy he got it from was a tech, I made any additional assumptions based on experiences with "other" techs, please accept my apologies .
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Post by spectragod »

OCSD117 wrote:I only have access to the latest FW
I can flash and align it for you.

was RPDM313

Post by OCSD117 »

Pm sent
OCSD117
was RPDM313

Post by OCSD117 »

So I was able to do the upgrade from R6 to the current no issues!
spectragod

Post by spectragod »

OCSD117 wrote:So I was able to do the upgrade from R6 to the current no issues!
Sometimes you will get lucky and it will go, an alignment will be in order if for nothing else, the age of the radio.

Post by spectragod »

OCSD117 wrote:So I was able to do the upgrade from R6 to the current no issues!
Sometimes you will get lucky and it will go, an alignment will be in order if for nothing else, the age of the radio.

was RPDM313

Post by OCSD117 »

how much to tune and align?

Return to “ASTRO25 Series (XTS/XTL 1500/2500/5000) Subscribers”